Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 19:24   #31

Re: Athens Bareboat in May

Gotcha.

Still worried about getting a spot on the quay as some of the street views on Google maps seem nuts.
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 20:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus3 View Post
Gotcha.

Still worried about getting a spot on the quay as some of the street views on Google maps seem nuts.
It might be a problem, particulary if coming late...That's why I think monohull more suitable for Med. Try to leave early if possible...otherwise distances are not that great, if things don't work out you should be able to find place in the next harbour. Spetses and Hydra are 2 places that are particulary worrysome, try to get there early, maybe by skipping lunch stop. If you manage to sail on Sat (as per your plan) from Athens you should be ahead of other charter boats. In any case, just enjoy sailing: it is a great area to visit. Ideally 2 week charter is more suited for that area, but I know that vacation time is hard to come by in USA
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 21:02   #33

I would be more worried about getting to Vathi then anyway, I think you can ring ahead (see Heykell guide for number), really friendly harbourmaster who also looks after Methana.
Bob_a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:16   #34

I think your plans are a tad overly ambitious! To complete this voyage plan in 7 days, you won't be doing much apart from sailing. Which is a shame, because you've correctly highlighted a few places which are worth more than a brief stop. For example, the theatre at Epidavros deserves a half day visit. Also, Hydra, Poros and Spetses are great places to explore on foot and take your time over a meal in a taverna etc.

You might want to consider visiting Epidavros by car from Athens before or after your sailing week.

But first off..., unless you're paying top price for a tailor-made bareboat charter package, most 'one week charters' I've heard of and experienced in Greece are not actually one week on the water; you lose a half day on the first day getting organised, technical check-out, provisioning etc. And a full one day at the end of the week when you have to be back in Zea Marina by midday.

Aegina / Perdika are convenient first stops after leaving the Athens / Pireaus area, but are nothing special and definitely not as interesting as Poros or Hydra. You might consider putting more miles under your keel on the first full day and making for either of these places.

I would make the same comment about Ermioni; it's a nice place but nothing special. If you've highlighted Spetses as a port call, then I would say skip Ermioni and push on to Spetses.

May is a good month in the Saronicos. The weather is likely to be more favourable than in the summer months, and the ports / anchorages will be a lot less crowded.

Monohull vs catamaran. How are you at anchoring stern-to with lines ashore? Because this is what you'll have to do in Aegina, parts of Poros, Hydra and Spetses. I would go for a monohull every time, just for this reason.

There are places to anchor in Hydra (The bay at Mandraki, 15 min walk from town) Poros - (opposite Galatas or Russian Bay) and Ermoini (opposite the town quay and ferry dock). There's also great anchoring on the north side of Spetses but I can't recall the name of the place right now.

AGE OF SAIL - Home
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
It might be a problem, particulary if coming late...That's why I think monohull more suitable for Med. Try to leave early if possible...otherwise distances are not that great, if things don't work out you should be able to find place in the next harbour. Spetses and Hydra are 2 places that are particulary worrysome, try to get there early, maybe by skipping lunch stop. If you manage to sail on Sat (as per your plan) from Athens you should be ahead of other charter boats. In any case, just enjoy sailing: it is a great area to visit. Ideally 2 week charter is more suited for that area, but I know that vacation time is hard to come by in USA
Definitely going to kick out one night stop and most of the day stops to simplify the route and allow more land time to see things. THe proposed plan from that blog is too aggressive.

As I've never done a med moor before, wouldn't it be easier with a cat as you are more maneuverable; however, you are wider.

I appreciate all the advice, input and thoughts from you guys. Always learn lots on here.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp2psp2 View Post
Monohull vs catamaran. How are you at anchoring stern-to with lines ashore? Because this is what you'll have to do in Aegina, parts of Poros, Hydra and Spetses. I would go for a monohull every time, just for this reason.
[/url]
Don't have any med moor experience so its a big worry + crowded. Perhaps choose an easier med location for my first experience in the med. Would Lefkas or Corfu be better?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47   #37

Quote:
Don't have any med moor experience so its a big worry + crowded. Perhaps choose an easier med location for my first experience in the med. Would Lefkas or Corfu be better?
I just came back from 2 week trip to Ionian (Corfu, Lefkas...). It has very different feel from Saronic Gulf. More like Caribbean of Europe: less historical places to see, but nice beaches and swimming, small villages. Water might be a bit cold in May to enjoy it however. You can get away with less Med mooring, just anchoring, sometimes taking long line ashore. It is easier, but if I have to choose one I would go to Athens/Saronic Gulf. Just take it easy and go slow. Be ready to bail out if things are not working and try again.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54   #38

Quote:
You can try Croatia: it is very nice, but more medieval. Also more expensive than Greece: food and moorings. But you get mooring buoys and marinas. Normally in marinas you still need to go stern to, but you get bow lines (rather than anchor) and hopefully some help from marina crew.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42   #39

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

Have you talked to a charter company there yet? They look for professional licenses in Europe (that's been my experience there). I have to provide my USCG license and list my experience. Your itinerary is great. You'll be moving a lot!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:50   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassrose88 View Post
Have you talked to a charter company there yet? They look for professional licenses in Europe (that's been my experience there). I have to provide my USCG license and list my experience. Your itinerary is great. You'll be moving a lot!
Sunsail/ Moorings accepts IPC which I can get for $39 with my ASA certifications.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:02   #41

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1

Read all the posts in this thread with interest. Some really helpful info in them.

Question to the OP. Is it essential that you tie up at a harbour/quay every evening? Why not anchor off and dinghy into town?

Anchoring means no worries about getting there early before everyone else. Less chance of someone snagging your anchor chain. No worries about being the first boat in at Hydra and then waiting for everyone else to get their sh*t together before you can finally leave. I could offer more benefits of anchoring off, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Will be interested in what you finally decide, cat/mono, anchoring/harbour, route and ports of call.
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08   #42

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

If anchoring is available! In Hydra there is a place a mile or so down the way but only a few boats can fit to "anchor" the rest med moor and it's quite deep there. It was a major cluster "fff" when I was there. We went to Poros, side tie up to the quay and instead took the ferry to Hydra to see it. We had fab dinner in Poros (we tied up right in front of his restaurant) While in Hydra (I watched from the quay) as 2 boats couldn't retrieve their anchors, ferries going in and out and skipper in the water diving on their anchor...not good!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:28   #43

Marcus,

I bareboated out of Athens early June last year - but headed for the Cyclades rather than Saronic Gulf - great time.

In May the harbours shouldn't be too crowded, I'd go with the Mono rather than a Cat - some of the harbours/anchorages are tight. I agree with others though you are trying to pack a lot into 7 days with that itinerary.

I'd recommend DMS Sailing a try DMS Sailing . Their boats are a bit older than the "Big Boys" but very well maintained and you get a personal service. (They were recommended to me by Diederik at sailingissues.com).

I'd also recommend the EagleRay Greece Sea Guides https://eagleray.gr/en/publications/ . Great combination of Charts and Pilot Book (an alternate to the Rod Heikell book which is good also - but comes with complete charts).

Have a great Time
Oyster406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:44   #44

You have picked the busy part of the gulf even in May, there will be alot of eastern European flottilas around. If going with a cat forget Vathi too small and I would avoid Hydra it is crazy any time of the year get the small ferry from Ermioni €14 return. You should consider charter from Poros (monos only I think) and venture past Spetses as fast as you can, in May there will be hardly any boats and this is by far the best places to visit. For reference I have sailed this area extensively for more than ten year and have lived here full time for nearly 4 years. It is a fantastic area to explore with great sailing
Gwen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16   #45

Boat: Beneteau 323

The earlier in May the better to avoid the dreaded Meltemi. That wind is no fun.
Djarrka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat