Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 07:14   #1

Boat: n/a
Any "must see" advice for Turkey - Bodrum to Fethiye

We will be sailing Turkey, Bodrum to Fethiye from May to June 2014. Does anyone have any "must see" advice for us?

We would like to see some ruins, visit Turkish baths to soak, and see what ever else Turkey has to offer.

Anyone do the Dalyan river cruise to the ruins? Can we anchor and catch a water taxi to the ruins easily? Do we need to make prior arrangements? Can we take our own dinghy? And is it worth the trip?
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 07:34   #2

Re: Any "must see" advice for Turkey - Bodrum to Fethiye

If your really into ruins check out Ephesus just outside of Kusadasi about a 3 hour bus ride from Bodrum. Make sure to visit the medieval castle in Bodrum and especially the archaeological museum that is in the castle as it houses the oldest recovered ship wreck in the world at 1500 BC if my memory serves me. Also drop down to see the Apollo temple in Didum, its not too far away. That should keep you busy and they are all world class.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:54   #3

Boat: none yet :(

I like the Marmaris area and several secluded little bays with crystal clear waters and good food. The western tip of the Bodrum peninsula (Turgutreis) could be very windy.

Will you be chartering? With whom?

Enjoy!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 09:01   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Just wander along and pop into any bay you see.
You may be able to download a Sunsail guide for charterers that has all the scenic places.

Dalyan river, don't worry, no need to book - a thousand tourist hungry Turks will be awaiting your wallet.

Bodrum, Marmaris and Fetheya are all good.

All have piles of hot rubble in the sun for you to look at. Some are not even sign posted, you just stumble upon them.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 09:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Knidos. Anchor in the ancient harbor. Climb all over the ruins to your heart's content. Magic.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:51   #6

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

If you are interested in venturing inland, I would recommend Goreme in Cappadocia. It's a great little town in the middle of the 'fairy chimney' area of Cappadocia. The folks there are very nice and and the merchants are not nearly as aggressive as they are in the cities. There are many low cost hostel like places to stay (or "pensions" as they call them) but if you want more of a proper hotel, I can recommend the Canyon View. We stayed there and had a wonderful time. Their breakfast spread is amazing. It's owned by two brothers and the lot has been in their family for hundreds of years (grandfather was a goat herder and raised pigeons for guano, sold as fertilizer). One of the brothers runs a hot air balloon tour company. We didn't do the balloon rides but we did have the brother take us around on a car tour of the area. Very recommended to do this if you can. He took us to a place where there were ruins of old christian monistaries that where just on the side of the road. No meusum. You just go and walk up and explore the various rooms with 7-900 year old frescoes all over the walls and ceiling. Also visit the underground city in Derinkuyu, fantastic place.

Of course if you are in the area you shouldn't miss Istanbul either. It's a very large modern city, but the old city, "Sultanahmet" district, is where most of the historical attractions are. The merchants in this area are very aggressive, but you sort of get used to it. Visit the Blue Mosque, quite possibly the most beautiful building in the world, Topkapi Palace, the Hagia Sophia, and the Basilica Cistern. If you have the time, I would do the Blue Mosque and the Cistern in one day, then a day each for the Hagia Sophia and Topkapi. For casual dining, I can recommend the Palladium, down the hill (toward the Bosporus) form the Blue Mosque. Good cheap food, good tea and you can relax there for as long as you like. Oh, and the place is built on top of a 2000 year old excavated roman place. There is an entry way down to the ancient palace behind behind the restaurant. The staff will point it out to you and you can go down and walk around on your own. The country has so much history they can't possibly put a fence around all of it.

You can sail to Istanbul, but I didn't see many yachts there. I saw a few marinas on the Bosporus, but not many. There might be special regulations for sailing on the Bosporus too, but I'm not sure.

I could write a whole book, but those are the highlights.

- Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 19:16   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Bornplaydie, We will be there at the same time. I'll be in Bodrum around June 15th and end in Fethiye June 28th. If you see our cat come and say hello.

Dockhead, good suggestion on Kindos. I had missed that in my planning.
Old 16-01-2014, 20:05   #8

Thanks to all for the replies. We will have a number of days at both Istanbul and Cappadocia which is separate from our sailing time of 4 weeks. Thanks Argyle for the details. We are chartering with Easysailing, a Greek co. since we chartered with them before (=discounts). We either start in Bodrum or Turgutreis. I was a little concerned about Turgutreis being exposed to the elements. Will wait and see, maybe see if they can arrange Bodrum for us. Will be sure to add Knidos to the list and check out a sunsail itinerary for more ideas.
Old 16-01-2014, 21:58   #9

Knidos is great

Sedir Adasi - I understand it has become quite crowded.

Gemiler Adasi - see where St Nicholas preached.

Fetheye Bay has lots to see

Tersane Adasi

Lots of small bays with tavernas

The Dalyan River trip is great - see if you can get up to the hot springs.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:45   #10

Boat: Selene 59

Hi bornplaydie,

Suggestions from Bodrum to Fethiye in easy day sails. There are lots of other anchorages as well.

- Knidos, the harbour shouldn't be crowded at that time of year

- Datca, good anchorage and restaurants (although May will be quiet)

- Into the Gulf of Hisaronu
- Kuruca, good anchorage, good restaurant at Leos on the beach
- Orhaniye, lots of anchorages & Marti Marina

- Into the Gulf of Yesilova
- The anchorage behind Kisil Adasi
- Carry on to Bozburun
- Lots of other anchorages around Bozburun area

- Along the stretch to Marmaris Bay
- Bozuk Buku
- Ciftlik, beautiful but can be a bit rolly in developed weather

- Around the corner into Bay of Marmaris, lots of anchorages and a good town at the head of the bay

- If you want to go to Dalyan & Kaunos, anchor in Ekincic Bay or at My Marina (across from Ekincic) and small boats pick you up for the trip, or catch a day boat from Marmaris (about the same price). Don't try and do it yourself.

- Head towards Gocek and take your choice of anchorages in Skopea Limani

- Past Gocek on the way to Fethiye there is also a quiet anchorage at Innice, a bit rolly in southerlies but otherwise a good quiet spot

- And then on to Fethiye

If you have time, Kas & Kekova Roads are very nice but a bit further past Fethiye. Also added to Ephesus, Cappadocia, Istanbul etc add Pammukale, the travertine terraces are fabulous as is Hierapolis and Cleopatras Pool.

Cheers
Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:39   #11

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Going to Bodrum to buy a new/old gulet this summer, providing the Euro hasn't tanked.
Old 22-01-2014, 13:13   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36'

Bornplaydie, we were based in Turgutreis marina untill last september, great place to start your trip. town is 5 min. walk, across from marina big supermarket, and if you ask they will even deliver for you. but you can basically take the shopping cart from the marina with you. wind start picking up during the day but waves are never above 2' islands usually blocks it, takes about 3 hrs sailing to bodrum and if you prefer you can stop at Kos and Med moor right under the castle walls have lunch walk around and then sail to bodrum for your dinner, anchor on the bay anywhere starboard side of the castle coming in. do not worry about the wind to much it dies down by sundown town is just a 5 min. dingy ride. only drawback is Halikarnas disco. laud untill 3 am, do not anchor close to castle walls there is big disco cat goes out about 11pm you will be on the way. I'll be at the bodrum on the hook first couple weeks of June and then sail toward Kas marina boat name is Gravitas (38' Bavaria) say Hi if you see me around. If you need more info let me know, I can also give you tel# to call in Turkey maybe we can hook up on the way.
lodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 13:32   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36'

Yacht charter Greece and sailing holidays Greece and Turkey - Marine navigation - Yacht charters Greek islands and Turkish coasts

have a lot of info greece and turkey
lodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:13   #14

Re: "anchor on the bay anywhere starboard side of the castle coming in."

I sailed Greece 2 years ago. Skiathos islands. It was very cheap to pull into the marinas, and so we always did. We would med moor up to the quay which was very convenient to access the town. Is this not the case in Turkey?

Tags
rum, Turkey