Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 19:50   #16

Re: Advice Requested - Croatia, Greek Ionian or Cyclades in late SEP15

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaka11 View Post
September is still decent in the Cyclades but after sep 15 you get the occasional rainy day. It might be worthwhile looking at sailing South from Fethiye or Marmaris in Turkey towards Antalya. Beautiful coast with lots of little anchorages and small towns. Or sailing from Kos to Rhodes. First half of September IMHO is the best time to be in the Cyclades weather wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I totally agree. I've been in the Cyclades in August. It was a little windy, not too much but it was adventurous tho. 1st half of September might be the best time
Bobsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 10:41   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

At the time of the year definitely consider the southern part of the Aegean sea namely the Turkish coast out of Marmaris will give you more options (SKYachting is very recommendable as we know them for taking a good care of their ships and their customers). Alternatively consider the Dodecanese out of Kos. Wounderful sailing grounds and islands with friendly Greek islanders.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:30   #18

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

I agree with the Fethiye round to Antalya sailing. In June/July 2014 we sailed from Bodrum up to Kusadasi and then back down to Antalya where the boat is up on sticks awaiting the next visit. If I had to choose one segment to do again it would be Fethiye area to Antalya. If I had to choose two spots to anchor at again it would be Ruin Bay and Cinivez (4 miles south of Olympus), check them out.
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 00:32   #19

Boat: BAV 47 Sloop Fractional
Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Yiannis

Greece is the most beautiful area in the Med for sailing.

As an approach I could say that with maximum level of dificulty seven
Aegean sea is 5 out of seven
and Ionian sea 2 out of seven
There is a mid area, which is Krete, with 4.

Its up to you to decide what kind of cruise whould you like to do,
an adventure or a lazy and fan sailing.

I've been sailing Greece and Med the last 25 years continiusly ...so far.

Ask me about coasts and charter all around Greece and ....not only.
Captain Yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 03:39   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO50DS

Sailed many times in Greece and Turkey but Croatia just once (Split to Dubrovnik). Some nice areas in the latter but found them very rude and unhelpful plus very busy and moorings expensive. We love both Greece and Turkey but agree with previous posters, Turkey south of Fethiye area is best in Sept. If you are planning on hoping between Greece and Turkey best to do so out of Bodrum area. Greek customs is an experience, especially in Simi. Took us 7 hours to complete the triangle circuit around the harbour between Port Police, Customs and Port Authority....but I can think of worse places to be stuck and plenty of bars to stop off in between them :-)

We've used Yildiz in Fethiye through Cosmos many times (back in Sept this year). The ECE Saray is a great marina and brilliant base to head south to Kekova Roads and beyond to Antalya is you have the time and desire. Kalkan is a good stop off point but harbour gets busy after 15:00 and you can have problems with crossed and hooked anchors. Plenty of places to moor/anchor in Gocek Bay area but can get very busy and a bit too touristy. We had our first encounter with a Sperm Whale heading to Kalkan....fantastic experience but unfortunately such a rare sight and probably not to be seen again :-(

The area has strict pollution rules and you can get some pretty big fines for discharging grey water in harbours.

We are considering sailing our yacht through the Med in 2016 and possibly putting her into charter in Fethiye/Gocek area.
Stoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, Cyclades, ionian