Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 14:51   #1

Boat: n/a
Advice on Bodrum, Turkey to Ephesus - Is it worth the trip?

Looks like Ephesus would be a nice place to visit. Would it be worth sailing up from Bodrum? Guessing we would need transport from Kusadasi (looks like nearest port).

I am chartering a bareboat probably 4 weeks starting mid May, 2014. The first 2 weeks would be Bodrum to Hisaronu area and back to drop off friends that can only sail for 2 weeks. That is not enough for us to get our sailing fix, so we are meeting other friends and continuing. I don't want to stay in the same ports/anchorages. So I was thinking either 1) sail North from Bodrum and visit Ephesus, 2) Sail back to Hisaronu and stop in different ports/anchorages, or 3) Sail to Fathiye. This seems far to sail to Faithiye and back to Bodrum in only 2 weeks, so I thought I might have to charter out of Marmaris for this option.

Any advise would be great.

Mark
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13   #2

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Advice on Bodrum, Turkey to Ephesus - Is it worth the trip?

We took a tour bus trip to Ephesus from Marmaris last summer. Same trip also is offered from Fethiye but is a longer drive. I'm sure the same trip is offered from Bodrum. Most of the popular coastal towns will have placards placed all along the town quay and tourist districts advertising all kinds of tours. There is a one day trip to Ephesus only or a 2-day trip that covers Ephesus on first day and Pamukkale and Hierpolis the second day (these are on the same site). We enjoyed both.

Why waste time and fuel trying to get that far north when your holiday is short? Take a day (or 2) and let the bus driver and tour guide do the work for you.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21   #3

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

Second Judy's opinion. Take a tour or rent a car (that's what we did) and visit Ephesus and Pammukale. Take 2-3 days from Bodrum or Fethiye. We spent a 2 week charter going one-way from Bodrum to Fethiye, nice relaxed pace. There and back in two weeks is a real stretch. Throw in a trip to Symi, Nisryos or Cos and you've had time in arguably the best cruising grounds in the Med.
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:09   #4

Boat: Bavaria 37

These are good ideas of course...
Another scenario :
Sailing from Bodrum to Samos is worth of it. Then in Samos you will have a daily roundtrip by boat that is convenient to visit Ephesus via Kusadasi in a day.
Doing this, you will sail to wonderful islands : Leros, Lipso, Arki, Patmos, Fournoï...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornplaydie View Post
... Ephesus would be a nice place to visit. Would it be worth sailing up from Bodrum? Guessing we would need transport from Kusadasi (looks like nearest port).
I am chartering a bareboat probably 4 weeks starting mid May, 2014. The first 2 weeks would be Bodrum to Hisaronu ...
Hi Mark
Going from Bodrum to Fethiye (actually you should go one further=Kleopatra Bay=Ölüdeniz) in 2 weeks is a real "Blue Voyage" in the right pace (Bodrum boat delivery from Marmaris will take a motoring day). - Going up to Kusadasi clearly isn't worth it, even with Ephesus (which is a must visit (sometime) as a price location.

My itinerary (been sailing there for 10 years now, not getting tired would be:
Bodrum
Gökova
English Harbour
Knidos
Datca
(Symi)
Bozburun
Marmaris
Kaunos/Dalyan
Göcek
Fethiye
Ölüdeniz

I would avoid to stray too much into Greek territory - bureaucracy just isn't worth it... IMO only Symi justifies a transit.
I would recommend: Get off the boat for at least a stroll at almost all destination listed ;-) You will see some historical sites on shore ... go visit. Those "off duty" might want to take an early evening walk on the beach - there is 2000 years of history to be found beyond the beach!

On the way 'back' you may even want to "jump" some destinations to gain time. - Be prepared to motor if you have to keep a strict schedule ;-/

If you want to have a really lazy (and beautiful) 4 weeks: Start in Marmaris (iow travel to DALAMAN airport) go west to Symi, Datca then turn east, deliver your friends (?), slowly look into each bay and at your map and shimmy your way back...

In any case: Get out of any of those harbours early - you'll find more beautiful anchorages than you could possibly use in several years.

If you like "good dining" look out for anchorages with a restaurant on shore!
Marmaris itself is Partytown ... be ready to loose lira and sleep

Reinhold
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey