Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 07:01   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: A fun, lively place to winter in the Med?

Spent the last month and a half circumnavigating Mallorca.

I don't think I'd enjoy 6 months in Palma harbour, it's a bit industrial and a pain to walk anywhere as the harbour is so large. Palma is a nice city though.

Fired off a few emails to marinas to Malta, so I'll see what they have to say.

@Stakaman
Chania looks interesting. I couldn't find any marina websites though which doesn't bode well. I presume the town has large DIY stores, boatyards and good chandlers so I can get some work done? What's the weather like through winter? Was there snow in create last year or was that corfu?

I'm also liking the look of Syracuse, as there is everything I'd need within 20mins. Even an Ikea and Decathlon - lol. Obviously not winter necessities.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 20:22   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Spent the last month and a half circumnavigating Mallorca.

I don't think I'd enjoy 6 months in Palma harbour, it's a bit industrial and a pain to walk anywhere as the harbour is so large. Palma is a nice city though.

Fired off a few emails to marinas to Malta, so I'll see what they have to say.

@Stakaman
Chania looks interesting. I couldn't find any marina websites though which doesn't bode well. I presume the town has large DIY stores, boatyards and good chandlers so I can get some work done? What's the weather like through winter? Was there snow in create last year or was that corfu?

I'm also liking the look of Syracuse, as there is everything I'd need within 20mins. Even an Ikea and Decathlon - lol. Obviously not winter necessities.
Malta has one of the better off-seasons, and is THE place for chandleries - every brand known to man is represented there either by an agent, or a shop (such as Gauci Borda) that carries a great range. It is more expensive than Sicily however (more from Malta, are moving their boats to Sicily for that reason). For the south coast of Sicily, I would not go past Licata - extremely well sheltered, good rates, and very friendly, helpful staff. There are chandleries there, and Andrea, located within the marina will get anything in you need. If you need work done, then Elia (chandlery can put you in touch), would be the first point of contact. If you are looking for a tourist town, then forget it, but an honest Sicilian town - that's another thing. The people are great.
Siracuse - quite exposed at times. Not sure how it would fare during a real winter storm, but in Summer it can get pretty rocky at times.
Corfu - the Corfu Sailing Club has an exceptional boutique marina - not much capacity, but a lovely spot. There are chandleries within a 20-25 minute walk.

Hope that helps.
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 03:47   #18

Thanks.

I think large DIY stores are much more important than chandleries. Most boating stuff is cheaper shipped from the UK. Good DIY stores are hand when you need to just nip out and pick up a tool. A decent marina with a good community is important as is having somewhere to be on the hard for a couple of months while I work.

I can get by in Spanish, but don't speak a lick of Italian at all. I don't speak any Greek either, but I imagine they are more used to dealing with foreigners.

What's it like getting things done in Italy? It's a more developed and modern nation than Spain with a larger and stronger economy, but then we are talking about the south.
Old 28-08-2017, 04:42   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

If you liked Palma city, but were fed up with trekking around the marina, you should consider Cagliari, in particular, Marina Portus Kalaris, very convenient for the town centre. Two marinas further from the centre have been very popular as wintering spots - more suited to people leaving their boats ashore.

Details and links to all three places on this jimbsail.info page. That site compares the various cruising areas of Europe. To check my opinion bias against your views, see what it sais about Palma. You'll then know what allowances to make when reading the descriptions!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32   #20

Thanks Jim, checked out your pages. Looks like the start of an excellent guide to the Med. I often find that Noonsite is outdated.

I'm enjoying Italy so far, and it's getting late on in the season now. The marina in Syracuse/Siracusa, actually seems cheaper than Yacht Port Cartagna, though I don't know if they charge extra for catamarans since they don't seem to reply to my emails.

I'm actually wondering if there are any liveaboards anchoring in the bay (at least the milder parts of winter), like you get in Soller (Mallorca).
Old 06-09-2017, 12:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy davy View Post
Everyone goes to the BVI's , that's where the fun is !
As we speak, there will be more and more free space in the marinas down there...
Old 07-09-2017, 11:22   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Thanks Jim, checked out your pages. Looks like the start of an excellent guide to the Med.

I'm enjoying Italy so far, and it's getting late on in the season now. The marina in Syracuse/Siracusa, actually seems cheaper than Yacht Port Cartagna, though I don't know if they charge extra for catamarans since they don't seem to reply to my emails.

I'm actually wondering if there are any liveaboards anchoring in the bay (at least the milder parts of winter), like you get in Soller (Mallorca).
I updated Syracuse and Elba pages up to date after correspondence with a couple of boats which routinely winter afloat, shifting anchorages (or even using marinas!) if the weather suggests it's time for a bit more comfort, or easier shore access. One of the boats tried winterig at anchor in Cartagena a couple of years ago . . . but succumbed to the ex-pat live aboard scene in Marina del Sole after one too many southerlies.

There's always that trade off . . . convenience vs costs . . . maybe more so with a cat when you're so often paying for marina or quayside area, rather than just LOA!

I've kept boats afloat over winter in several ports, just visiting for a weekend now and then, or occasionally for a week's break from work. So my need for a local ex-pat scene was not strong, and work more than re-paid the berth costs!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:10   #23

Ignoring my own criteria of a fun lively place to winter, I've ended up in Lefkas, Greece.

Not impressed with the marina, it's a sprawling mass or mostly charter boats. There's no security i.e. anyone can just walk in, and all the boats are tightly packed together, unlike the space at Cartegena. On top of that, they charge for everything including the showers!!! and beer is over €4. There is a 40% discount for wintering monos, obviously nothing for cats, but from next year they are going to charge 150% for cats regardless of the beam. I can see a lot of them going elsewhere next year as there are a few Catalacs and two Prouts here and a number of older multihulls.

The town is exceptionally well stocked for chandleries, but has all the charm of Puerto Montt in Chile, anyone who's been there will understand.

Oh well, time to get my head down for 6 months and get my boat work done. Well most of it. The yard is full until March so I can't do anything below the waterline which is annoying.

I did look at Siracusa. I anchored there for maybe 10 days (fouling was terrible) while waiting for the whether. The old town is nice, the rest is a hole. It's not a purpose built marina there either and the facilities were poor, and they wanted €3.000 for the winter.

Malta was close to €6.000 in the grand harbour and €4.000 in the one next to it. Again not really purpose built marinas just a bunch of pontoons.

Ragusa was the cheapest quote €2.250 but I was told that you can't do your own work on hard there.

One place I really enjoyed was the tiny town of Carloforte on an island west of Sardinia. Decent prices, great staff, and lovely town. Very small, marina (not purpose built) with no security, but with a charm to it. Terrible to get any work done though.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Trapani. Not the marina, but the town there. IMO it is nicer than Siracusa.

Another suggestion was Crete, but it was too far away. Think I was spoiled in Cartagena.
Old 15-10-2017, 01:33   #24

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:

I did look at Siracusa. I anchored there for maybe 10 days (fouling was terrible) while waiting for the whether. The old town is nice, the rest is a hole. It's not a purpose built marina there either and the facilities were poor, and they wanted €3.000 for the winter.

Malta was close to €6.000 in the grand harbour and €4.000 in the one next to it. Again not really purpose built marinas just a bunch of pontoons.

Ragusa was the cheapest quote €2.250 but I was told that you can't do your own work on hard there.
Licata for me in that area - next along from Ragusa. Friendlier, more secure, and cheaper. Plus the actual city is right there next to the marina, not inland by 15 or 20 km
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 01:50   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Ignoring my own criteria of a fun lively place to winter, I've ended up in Lefkas, Greece.

Not impressed with the marina, it's a sprawling mass or mostly charter boats. There's no security i.e. anyone can just walk in, and all the boats are tightly packed together, unlike the space at Cartegena. On top of that, they charge for everything including the showers!!! and beer is over €4. There is a 40% discount for wintering monos, obviously nothing for cats, but from next year they are going to charge 150% for cats regardless of the beam. I can see a lot of them going elsewhere next year as there are a few Catalacs and two Prouts here and a number of older multihulls.

The town is exceptionally well stocked for chandleries, but has all the charm of Puerto Montt in Chile, anyone who's been there will understand.

Oh well, time to get my head down for 6 months and get my boat work done. Well most of it. The yard is full until March so I can't do anything below the waterline which is annoying.

One place I really enjoyed was the tiny town of Carloforte on an island west of Sardinia. Decent prices, great staff, and lovely town. Very small, marina (not purpose built) with no security, but with a charm to it. Terrible to get any work done though.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Trapani. Not the marina, but the town there. IMO it is nicer than Siracusa.

Another suggestion was Crete, but it was too far away. Think I was spoiled in Cartagena.
if i was in your situation i would head for Hurghada marina in egypt,and have a solid diet of russian birds over the winter

reasonable tides there so you could do a paint job on the beach for free.
great nightlife,cheap beer,great cruising and WARM over the winter
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 03:24   #26

Hurghada is no doubt warm but I don't feel the Red Sea to be a very interesting cruising ground. All costs considered (Hurghada berth rates go ~50$/m/month! + add Suez Canal fees) not much cheaper than crossing the pond to the Caribbean.
Old 15-10-2017, 03:33   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Hurghada is no doubt warm but I don't feel the Red Sea to be a very interesting cruising ground. All costs considered (Hurghada berth rates go ~50$/m/month! + add Suez Canal fees) not much cheaper than crossing the pond to the Caribbean.
there are 2 marinas in hurghada,1 for superyachts with high prices,the other in town is cheap,safaga you can anchor for free as well as many places around hurghada.
plus if you transit the canal within 6months the return is free.
rates are $300 a month for yachts up to 16m in hurghada marina
http://www.hurghada-marina.com/boats/berthing-fees/

check this out as well they have done it many times recently

https://www.facebook.com/medasiasailingsafari/
Old 15-10-2017, 04:38   #28

Your link says:
Quote:
Monthly
Up to 10 $47.5 Per Meter
10 to 19 $53.4 Per Meter
19 to 30 $64.3 Per Meter
30 and over $86.9 Per Meter
In my dictionary that's 600$ for a 12m boat...
Old 15-10-2017, 05:03   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Your link says:

In my dictionary that's 600$ for a 12m boat...
look below at the special rates,$300 for up to 16m.

where mike is now he is paying the equivelent of $450 a month

the canal fee would be about $400 plus,6 months in the marina in egypt would leave him about $500 better off incuding a 2 way transit,and that is assuming he never leaves the marina,which can be payed monthly to get the special rate,so he could quite easily go off and visit other places,as the weather is excellent there during winter plus your cost of living is half what greece is,it is a no brainer really...have you ever spent any time there?
Old 15-10-2017, 05:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
look below at the special rates,$300 for up to 16m.
Ouch, sorry! That happens if i read something on the phone...

Haven't been to Hurghada just further South, diving. Indeed, cost of living even in a resort is very reasonable there!

Tags
fun