Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 15:25   #1

Boat: Hobie 14; multiple previous powerboats and sailboats
A couple of days sailing in Adriatic?

Late September 2020 my wife and I are flying to Italy, and were planning to take a short sailing trip somewhere in Adriatic.

Any ideas on where can we rent a boat? Or any other ideas for what can be a great couple of days that would include sailing?

I saw in this forum people praising Croatia, Greece, Slovenia, but unsure where to start.

Thank you a lot!!!!
Alex
abenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 12:49   #2

Boat: CT-47
Re: A couple of days sailing in Adriatic?

Www.clickandboat.com
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 03:39   #3

My personal preference is Croatia but I am biased; our boat is there and the scenery/islands are something to behold.

Most charters in Europe run for 7 (or multiples of) days, Sat>Sat. Late September you might be able to haggle on a shorter charter especially if you speak directly with the charter co.

Our boat is in a small family run charter fleet in Croatia and a shorter booking would be possible late in the season - message me if you'd like details

Also - do you have the requisite licence for sailing in the countries you mention?
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 05:32   #4

I have charter company in Croatia (Pula city).
Feel free to contact me.
hidrotherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 06:42   #5

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

There is only one side of the Adriatic to sail, and like Bellasailor, Croatia get's my thumbs up every time.
I went there in 2007 to buy a boat with the specific intention of sailing her straight back to Essex in the UK - until I arrived on the island of Korcula where she was moored.
The voyage on the Marco Polo - the ferry from Split to Korcula via Hvar, was a real eye opener to the shear beauty of the Croatian coastline.
I have sailed from Dubrovnic as far up as Rab, a few hundred miles. The scenery is variable but always beautiful, there are over a thousand islands to explore, each with with their hidden coves, and if you are lucky, a secluded restaurant.
If you only have a few days start at Split, call in at the town of Hvar and then Korcula.
There is an ACI marina in Split, you should be able to charter a boat from there.
I did eventually sail the Ace of Hearts back to Essex but sold here and bought Sabai Sabai, which is now moored in Hvar
Good luck
Briggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 06:50   #6

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggers View Post
If you only have a few days start at Split, call in at the town of Hvar and then Korcula.

There is an ACI marina in Split, you should be able to charter a boat from there.

Lots of chartering co’s in Split indeed.

I did one week out of Dubrovnik, where the only chartering co. is Sunsail. This provides some guarantee on service level, others may be fine but require reference.

Benefit was to see Mljet and Korcula, and also get to see Dubrovnik.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 08:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Lots of chartering co’s in Split indeed.

I did one week out of Dubrovnik, where the only chartering co. is Sunsail. This provides some guarantee on service level, others may be fine but require reference.

Benefit was to see Mljet and Korcula, and also get to see Dubrovnik.
Sunsail isn't (and hasn't been in the last 4 years ) the only Dubrovnik charter co, there are at least 2 others. I have (before buying our own boat) used Ultra from ACI Dubrovnik and had an acceptable experience but not gold standard.

Good point on Mljet and Korcula however, that's precisely why our boat is one of less than 10 in charter on the Makarska Riviera as it's just an hour South of Split airport so perfectly sited for both the big draws of Brac/Vis/Hvar but also in easy reach of Mljet and Korcula
Old 21-02-2020, 08:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggers View Post
I did eventually sail the Ace of Hearts back to Essex but sold here and bought Sabai Sabai, which is now moored in Hvar
Good luck
Hi fellow owner of boat in Croatia (we are London-dwellers the rest of the time with hubby an Essex-native as it happens)! Our boat is doing 2020 and 2021 in charter (with plenty of use by us) before we take off on a sabbatical in 2022; plan to extensively explore Croatia/Montenegro/Albania/Greece & Turkey then return her to Croatia at the end
Old 21-02-2020, 09:48   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

You won't get much done in 2 days. Unlikely to find a sailing boat for 2 day charter. you did not reply about qualifications since Croatia often asks, charter companies most definitely ask.

If you are in Italy i would suggest you take a tripper boat to the Tremiti Islands. Alternatively go and spend a couple of days in Venice. Neither,, however, would give you any time to be sailing.

If you are serious about sailing, have the qualifications and are ready to spend at least 4 days aboard then you could try Candor at Kastela, Nr Split who would probably be flexible about something less than 7 days. Note you could spend a whole day walking around the interesting sights in Split such as Diocletian's Palace. Hence 2 days is absolutely not enough. Alternatively visit Dubrovnik which shld be on everybody's bucket list, Like Venice.
Andrew
Old 21-02-2020, 10:41   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

What are the sailing requirements to charter in Croatia? it seems that the requirements are for certain certifications that are difficult to obtain in the US. It is something I would like to do in 2021. Thanks!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 11:19   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

)In Europe the standard RYA Coastal Skipper is enough and with this it is poss to easily obtain (2-3 days online) the International Certificate of Competence (ICC) which is more widely recognised and has multiple languages on it. I am sure there is a very basic US certificate which you should be able to get v easily, after which you simply go online and obtain the ICC. Even if you are chartering a different boat in the Med copies of the docs and photos of yr own boat in the US might put a charter company's fears at rest.

Having said that the authorities v rarely ask for any sort of certificate of competence but the rules that i have come across in Croatia and Italy are that there should be at least 1 aboard with an ICC or better plus one other with sailing experience but not necessarily documented. It is the charter companies who will want to know what experience you have before letting you sail their boat. If you fall upon someone who really wished to check you out they will also ask for yr VHF DSC Cert (it does not necessarily have to be you but at least one person onboard should have one).
Andrew
Old 21-02-2020, 11:32   #12

International certificates that Croatia recognises
https://mmpi.gov.hr/UserDocsImages/d...%2017-9_19.pdf
Old 21-02-2020, 11:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
Good point on Mljet and Korcula however, that's precisely why our boat is one of less than 10 in charter on the Makarska Riviera as it's just an hour South of Split airport so perfectly sited for both the big draws of Brac/Vis/Hvar but also in easy reach of Mljet and Korcula
That is indeed a good starting point, I have only ever driven through Makarska, either on the way to Split, Korcula or Dubrovnic.
I’ve only been to the western end of Brac but I’m guessing that’s a good island to visit.
Just in case you guys in the US don’t know, Brac (pronounced Brach) is where the stone for the White House came from.
Old 21-02-2020, 12:02   #14

If you are thinking of flying into Split, spend the first night in an AirB&B in Trogir, it’s only 5 mins from the airport in a cab. Loads of good restaurants and if you sail into Trogir you can moor up on the town quay - for a few.
I think SunSail are in the ACI marina there.
Old 22-02-2020, 03:09   #15

Hi all,
Regards to all fellow owners in Croatia, we are up near Zadar. To change topic slightly as so many Croatian owners on here all in one place.
We have chartered for the last few years in Split direction for a week or two at a time, money (almost) no object in Marina every night. This time we intend to go for extended stay, anchoring more overnight to save money. However, I was wondering, has anyone ever compiled a list of Croatian restaurants with moorings, free overnight if you eat there? As we mostly eat ashore every night anyway this would seem to be quite useful, if it exists.
Fair winds,
AM
ameehan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adriatic, sail, sailing