Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 03:17   #16

Re: A couple of days sailing in Adriatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggers View Post
If you are thinking of flying into Split, spend the first night in an AirB&B in Trogir, it’s only 5 mins from the airport in a cab. Loads of good restaurants and if you sail into Trogir you can moor up on the town quay - for a few.
I think SunSail are in the ACI marina there.
Sunsail base is in Agana, Marina Agana - not in Trogir.
Agana lies some 8 km from Trogir; very good place to start your sailing.
In Trogir there is Baotic Marina - it's huge marina and there are several charter companies.

-E
IslandOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 03:29   #17

Boat: LAGOON 400

we have done 1 month in adriatic. It was good food, good fresh food markets, and excellent sightseing.

Also not bad vine from local winemaker! That was actually most memorable part.

Forget it if you want to do decent sailing. Just no enough wind or waves. Unless you enjoy sailing 3 kn winds.

So next time I will travel there using ferries Much cheaper and less stress.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 04:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
we have done 1 month in adriatic. It was good food, good fresh food markets, and excellent sightseing.

Also not bad vine from local winemaker! That was actually most memorable part.

Forget it if you want to do decent sailing. Just no enough wind or waves. Unless you enjoy sailing 3 kn winds.

So next time I will travel there using ferries Much cheaper and less stress.
Rent a motor scooter ... then travel the islands by ferry

As far a wind the coast of Croatia is fantastic

Very reliable thermals form in the afternoon
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:22   #19

Boat: Hobie 14; multiple previous powerboats and sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
My personal preference is Croatia but I am biased; our boat is there and the scenery/islands are something to behold.

Most charters in Europe run for 7 (or multiples of) days, Sat>Sat. Late September you might be able to haggle on a shorter charter especially if you speak directly with the charter co.

Our boat is in a small family run charter fleet in Croatia and a shorter booking would be possible late in the season - message me if you'd like details

Also - do you have the requisite licence for sailing in the countries you mention?
I have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card, which is mandatory here in Canada when the outboard is in the water, and also have VHF license.
abenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:24   #20

Boat: Hobie 14; multiple previous powerboats and sailboats

awesome, thanks!
abenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenko View Post
I have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card, which is mandatory here in Canada when the outboard is in the water, and also have VHF license.
Hi Abenko; I’m not sure that the licence you mention is accepted in Croatia - see the link I posted previously https://mmpi.gov.hr/UserDocsImages/dokumenti/MORE/More%209_19/TABLICA_ENG_rujan2019%2017-9_19.pdf is it one of those but called something different on there are none use the word pleasure craft? (The list oddly splits Canada into two sections, ISPA and IYT)
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:09   #22

hi, if you are in italy, ok, you might have lots of options.
italy where? north? south? centre?
if north, end of september, beginning of october...in trieste (NE corner of italy) there is barcolana, a huge event with more than 2000 boats (think is first weekend in october, you can check their website www.barcolana.it): it's something incredible, and there you can be hosted as crew in some boat and participating the regatta.
a week later in venice there is the "smaller sister" veleziana, also you can get in touch with organization and find out if someone can host you.
if you want to sail by yourself you can find something in chioggia, a "small venice" maybe 20nm south of venice, i'm not sure but maybe OLTREMARE has some boats to rent. from there you can reach venice or via the laguna (channels) or via the sea, anyway stunning. swimming: water is not beautiful and temperature might be not so friendly, but getting to venice by boat is priceless.
down on east coast is not so interesting until south (bari, trani and even more south like otranto and leuca) and actually is an area of which i dont have knowledge.
west/south is sicily: eolian islands are a must, and portorosa hosts a lot of charters (turistica il gabbiano, for example), then going north could be nice spend days in pontine islands or costiera amalfitana.
further north for a couple of days elba island and capraia.
further north is liguria and cinque terre (portofino....)
it depends how many days you want to spend at sea.
2 to 3 days think regattas/venice/elba island you can do and is possible find a boat.
more days (1 week) the choice is wider.
marcello66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 05:28   #23

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
Hi fellow owner of boat in Croatia (we are London-dwellers the rest of the time with hubby an Essex-native as it happens)! Our boat is doing 2020 and 2021 in charter (with plenty of use by us) before we take off on a sabbatical in 2022; plan to extensively explore Croatia/Montenegro/Albania/Greece & Turkey then return her to Croatia at the end
Cool!I am about to lift my boat at the boatyard near the Orobic ferry in Korcula. the bottom needs a clean and the anodes need changing. This is in preparation for a similar voyage, except she is likely to remain in Turkey.

Where are you at the moment?

David
Old 06-12-2023, 23:29   #24

Boat: Hanse 575 18m

We would be happy to host you , please check the link in my bio. They are right... Croatia is the No# sailing destination right now.

Tags
adriatic, sail, sailing