Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 18:26   #1

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36
3rd Party Liability insurance for italian waters

We crossed the Atlantic last year and are now planning to fly back to Portugal to get back to our boat on the hard in lisbon and sail the Mediterranean.
My insurance, Pantaenius, tells me in need to raise my 3rd party Liability insurance for Italy to a minimum of $8,000,000. Associated cost is $1,800 over my current $500K coverage! Noonsite in 2012 also said Italy mandates a 5,000,000 euros coverage which is close to the the $8,000K depending on euro/$ value.
Has anybody any information on this requirement and how to purchase such insurance at a reasonnable cost?
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:35   #2

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50
Re: 3rd Party Liability insurance for italian waters

Hi Jmpapon,

I replied you privately and I am also posting here in case the information would be useful to others.
In Italy there is currently a requirement for any boat with an engine to carry 3rd party liability insurance for
  • euro 5 million for personal injuries
  • euro 1 million for damages to properties
The requirement of having liability insurance is strictly enforced on ITALIAN boats by the coast guard or other government enforcement agencies (polizia, guardia di finanza, etc.).

We are required to carry the insurance both for the boat and the dinghy (if it has an engine). However, the cost of this insurance in Italy is quite low and parametrized to the engine horsepower.
For example, for a sailboat with a 60HP engine I pay about 100 euro a year for 7 million euro liability (well over the law minimum requirement). For the dinghy about 40 euro.

However, I have never heard of a foreign pleasure boat being asked by Italian authorities for specific liability insurance amounts.

If you want to do online shopping for a liability insurance from an Italian company, you can try googling "assicurazione R.C. natanti"
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 22:18   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

yes was asked to produce mine August 2014 at porto di turistico roma and i believe they will increase it to 10 million Euros in 2015 very similar to what Greece did you can buy very cheap third party Insurance in Italy and instead of going through your normal Insurance ie Pantaenius and i believe this was a write up on noonsite
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 00:20   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Hello JMPAPON,

I have a US$ 6 Million liability insurance policy with Pantaenius that costs about 125 Euro per year. Are you sure that your quoted price is for liability? It would seem that the quote might be for comprehensive.
Old 25-01-2015, 01:14   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

jmpapon -- i sent you a pm but for the sake of others will repost a bit here. we sailed over in 2013 and checked into the eu at both horta and lagos and provided our insurance which had 500k usd liability. at the couple of marinas we stayed in we also provided them with the same and no questions asked.

when we checked into tunisia for the winter they asked for insurance and no problems.

in 2014 we checked into the eu in cagalari sardinia and it was a very very officas checkin with lots of paper and we provided the same insurance with no issue. we stopped at marinas in italy and each wanted a copy of our insurance and no issue. in albania we had no issue.

when we checked into montenegro they required us to have 1,000k euro and our insurance imis provided a rider for us at not a huge cost.

we are headed to greece next year and i think but not sure they require 800k euro so we will keep our 1,000k.

and by the way imis did a great job getting us the additional coverage and very quickly.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 12:24   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpapon View Post
My insurance, Pantaenius, tells me in need to raise my 3rd party Liability insurance for Italy to a minimum of $8,000,000. Associated cost is $1,800 over my current $500K coverage! Noonsite in 2012 also said Italy mandates a 5,000,000 euros coverage which is close to the the $8,000K depending on euro/$ value.
Like others have mentioned, that sounds way too high for third party coverage.

I took out insurance with Generali last summer in order to go to Italy. They told me I needed a minimum of €6 million third party coverage in Italy for which they quoted me a premium of €562. This is for a 50' motor yacht.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, water