Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 11:25   #16

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Yachties Stuck In New Zealand - Facing Expulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
zatara guys forward looking

Fiji seem to have enough bays to hide. With weather forecast that good cyclone or 2 should not be such an issue...

Alternative, move north of 5 parallel. Sure there must be something open.
I'm not sure sailing north of 5 degrees is a solution. Below is copied from Noonsite 5 Aug 2020. Obviously the list doesn't take account any rights one may have as a citizen of that country (and of course things will change, but when?). Although some countries have even locked out their own citizens, Tonga for example.

SOUTH PACIFIC

American Samoa: CLOSED (from 20 May)

Australia: CLOSED (Queensland open on a case-by-case basis from 8 July)

Cook Islands: CLOSED (from 18 March)

Easter Island: CLOSED (from 18 March)

Fiji: **OPEN** (from 08 July)

French Polynesia: CLOSED (Permission may be granted in exceptional circumstances)

Galapagos: **OPEN** (from 31 July)

New Caledonia: CLOSED (open to yachts in an emergency from 09 July)

New Zealand: LOCKDOWN/CLOSED

Niue: CLOSED (from 19 March)

Pitcairn Island: CLOSED (anchoring possible)

Samoa: CLOSED/LOCKDOWN (from 26 March)

Solomon Islands: CLOSED (from 19 March)

Tasmania: 14 DAY QUARANTINE (from 21 March)

Tonga: CLOSED/LOCKDOWN (from 29 March)

Vanuatu: CLOSED (18 March)

Wallis and Futuna: CLOSED (from 24 March)

NORTH PACIFIC

Federated States of Micronesia: CLOSED (some States 14-day quarantine)

Guam: 14 DAY QUARANTINE (at Gov. designated facility – from 1 April)

Hawaii: 14 DAY QUARANTINE (from 26 March)

Kiribati: CLOSED (from 1 February)

Marshall Islands: CLOSED (from 17 March)

Northern Marianas Islands: 14 DAY QUARANTINE (from 24 March)

Palau: CLOSED (from 27 March)

Some have mentioned Fiji is 'open'. And it is, sort of with each vessel having to gain prior permission to sail there. The conditions of entry are stringent. As well as the 14 day quarantine, all crew must have had a negative covid test at their port of departure within 72 hours of leaving. How does a cruiser, stuck in say, New Caledonia or French Polynesia even manage that requirement?

Also I doubt many would wish to spend the cyclone season living at anchor in a 'hidden' bay in Fiji.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:04   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
II, what is the point that you are trying to make here?

Jim

It's great that CF can put out this type of information - raising enough awareness, hopefully some can filter out back to those who actually make decisions.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:10   #18

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

One poster said something like ‘...after the govt got done scaring the bejesus out of them.’....obviously you weren’t speaking of USA Govt. ha ha ha.

It’s a real pickle the world is in. My hearts go out to all the guys and gals caught in this pandemic. The truth of the matter is it is just one of those really messed up things like a cat 5 hurricane or a world war. This is of that same ilk. Deeply disturbing and disruptive. There are tons of articles out now about people with no savings who lost their jobs due to Covid who are couch surfing or out on the street. State governments can’t handle the surge in unemployment benefits. Phone and internet companies cutting off service due to nonpayment. Small mistakes on applications lead to non payments. Political fighting between parties delaying bailouts for vulnerable people who are at ... or beyond financial disaster...

So, in perspective, yes, there maybe thousand yachties caught out at no fault of their own .. I can not see a government making them walk the plank into chummed waters for a feeding frenzy for the sharks. They are already in place And Covid free. My bet is that Mr Covid the Werewolf will not be slain by the silver bullet. The vaccine will only be partially effective. It will be a virus that has mutagenic properties like all colds/ flue do. As we age our immunology capability decreases. So, this is a mess that, IMHO, is with us for a long long time. Depressing to even think of the hardships to follow. What do you think happens to governments who turn on the printing presses at desperation levels? Your currency run offs eventually create devalued currency. We are in a mess. Boating life has to be looked at differently for awhile. I wish everybody a soft landing. I’m not a pessimist. But it doesn’t take much savy to see how Covid has changed the planet’s economics and political abilities to handle this novel virus.
Old 04-08-2020, 13:37   #19

Beyond time for them to have repatriated given that there have been flights from New Zealand to many locations, albeit often only for connecting transit through select international airport hubs. Almost every country has posted such urgent return to home country guidance since March and many if not most countries have aided in facilitating repatriation flights. Some countries have simply closed their borders and are not even letting their own citizens enter, and a few others don't let anyone out, except say, non-citizens repatriating to their homeland. Every country has provided guidance to not travel internationally, and many domestically. In lieu of commercial flights, all it typically took to get on the list for arranged repatriation to a developed world country was to call a consulate or embassy or to register online. Pretty sure that almost all the yachties are citizens from a developed country.

Put the boat in storage, head to the airport, go home to the one you left from or to a new one you'll purchase or rent, stay at home, safe at home just like the rest of the world, or stay with family.

Some day in the hopefully not too distant future [perhaps 2022], risks will be largely mitigated and the world can move towards a degree of semblance of Pre-Covid normality.

Geez, this issue of repatriation is just so not a major deal. Visas expire, plan for it, if you can't leave then notify the authorities that you will be overstaying, perhaps they will assist in repatriation or provide a limited waiver with restrictions. Worst case they physically deport you to your home country by arranging their own transport, or they lock you up in a cage like the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency of the USA. They will provide food and a foil blanket and a floor to sleep on.

Boaters are very much like everyone else that was caught on the wrong place when travel restrictions were invoked. But it seems that they should be availed some unique treatment compared to the much larger immigrant populations that are away from their home countries.

Nothing has changed with the virus, it will continue to flair up and lock downs will be made more restrictive and then cycled towards easing, the tightening of such typically without advance notice.

Welcome to the new normal. Accept such.

During the time of pandemic, all travel should be for truly essential purposes only. E.g., if you must go shopping to reprovision arrange for such to be say once a week or every two weeks to the grocery store, one person only, not the entire family, get in and get out, maybe go to the pharmacy then scurry back home to shelter. Or just have goods delivered and don't leave your home. Bars, no. Gym, no. Theatre, no. Restaurants, for take out, yes maybe, dine in, hell no. None of such are needed facilities or activities.

Cruising about from place to place is not essential. It may be a lifestyle but guess what so is living fixed to a mooring or in a marina, or on the hard, or terrestrial living in an abode.

Do I miss cruising, yes. Do I expect to be able to cruise anytime soon, NOPE. The larger of three boats is on the hard for long duration, being a expense for storage and for regular maintenance visits by hired personnel.

Will I be able to travel internationally or within the nation to avail important business progression. Limitedly, and very selectively and only when there is no alternative. Virtual presence is viable for 99% of the activities.

Family reunions, cancelled for 2020, had hoped for 2021, now postponed to be more realistic of viability for summer of 2022 conditional pending a resolution to Covid risks to permit interstate travel.

Hey, there are always the Youtube sailor video reruns one can watch to live vicariously from the comfort of your couch in your home.
Old 04-08-2020, 13:47   #20

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
II, what is the point that you are trying to make here?

Jim
Just a odd word

I have never heard someone describe themselves as such, first time hearing that was watching some reality show on bravo while I was in a hotel, crew on large power boats, watch it and you’ll get why I made that post

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkszMqYD0VJx0i5Rz7ogd2Q
Old 04-08-2020, 13:48   #21

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It's certainly a tough one and it's going to be different for many different cruisers. Of course lots of cruisers do have homes or boltholes and can repatriate to those places. Only a minority have no other place to go, and for them things will depend upon their nationality. UK subjects, for example, can easily get a 3-month visa extension by simply applying. Extending beyond that, however, is very difficult indeed (and I've seen people with pretty convincing situations such as having to look after suddenly disabled children still have these refused).

For some, going to Australia might be a possibility, as might travelling to Fiji and then looking for the next new opening country after spending the next few months there and before the cyclone season.

Running to New Zealand to avoid cyclone season might not be the best idea if you're not already here, and there are other places to go.

But it's also hard because cruisers who are already here in NZ have now got used to life without Covid-19 for a few months and it's going to be difficult to convince them to go back to a world where it exists.

Would the headline be different if there were large numbers of cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand and similar restrictions to other countries? Would the cruisers be reluctant to leave then?

The difficulty is in identifying those in genuine need and those who simply have an obvious preference to just stay put where they've been lucky enough to end up.
Old 04-08-2020, 14:17   #22

Boat: Mummery 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
But I heard cruisers say it's too cold there, it's boring because there is nothing to do and they just need to get out of there. /s
Kiwis are pretty savvy. They say; what do you think sex is for, keeping warm in winter and putting an end to boredom.

Ha!
Old 04-08-2020, 14:30   #23

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Meanwhile... back in 'straya NSW farmers are crying out for seasonal fruit pickers to come up from Vic to pick citrus..
'Strayan graziers need kiwi shearers to shear their sheep.. and bugger the broad combs https://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-count...ectid=12268274
And NZ needs seasonal workers as well....for whatever it is they pick there..

Meanwhile the marine industries in Auckland and north? Their pips will be squeaking if the boats don't come down from the islands this year....

***Indiginent**** sailors and seasonal workers? Oh please save me from such non sense
Unzud needs them....
Well you say that....

A couple of months ago I was thinking that to fill some time here (I'm in NZ) and see a bit of the countryside I get a job fruit picking. So I phone up NZ immigration to speak to them about the process of getting a seasonal worker visa etc only to be told that I was too old.

Needless to say when I recount this to family and friends they spend some time rolling on the floor laughing.
Old 04-08-2020, 14:30   #24

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

I would see those that are facing expulsion from N.Z. and worried as to where they should run to? Perhaps they should apply to the Australian Gov't, make the run across the ditch to South East Queensland (whilst the border is open). Not guaranteed 100% cyclone safe but far safer than tracking up to the islands. The Gold Coast has a lot to offer to the cruiser and there are many safe idyllic anchorages. Just a thought!
Old 04-08-2020, 14:40   #25

Boat: Kristen 52

Those of us held up in NZ are not facing expulsion.
Old 04-08-2020, 14:56   #26

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I've heard from a usually reliable source that yachties already in NZ will shortly be able to apply for a 12 month visa extension, on top of the extension already granted to September.

That said, it will I understand be on a 'case by case' basis rather than a blanket extension, so be polite, keep a clean wake and don't do anything foolish to piss off the Kiwi Authorities.
Old 04-08-2020, 15:36   #27

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Beyond time for them to have repatriated given that there have been flights from New Zealand to many locations, albeit often only for connecting transit through select international airport hubs. Almost every country has posted such urgent return to home country guidance since March and many if not most countries have aided in facilitating repatriation flights. Some countries have simply closed their borders and are not even letting their own citizens enter, and a few others don't let anyone out, except say, non-citizens repatriating to their homeland. Every country has provided guidance to not travel internationally, and many domestically. In lieu of commercial flights, all it typically took to get on the list for arranged repatriation to a developed world country was to call a consulate or embassy or to register online. Pretty sure that almost all the yachties are citizens from a developed country.

Put the boat in storage, head to the airport, go home to the one you left from or to a new one you'll purchase or rent, stay at home, safe at home just like the rest of the world, or stay with family.

Some day in the hopefully not too distant future [perhaps 2022], risks will be largely mitigated and the world can move towards a degree of semblance of Pre-Covid normality.

Geez, this issue of repatriation is just so not a major deal. Visas expire, plan for it, if you can't leave then notify the authorities that you will be overstaying, perhaps they will assist in repatriation or provide a limited waiver with restrictions. Worst case they physically deport you to your home country by arranging their own transport, or they lock you up in a cage like the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency of the USA. They will provide food and a foil blanket and a floor to sleep on.

Boaters are very much like everyone else that was caught on the wrong place when travel restrictions were invoked. But it seems that they should be availed some unique treatment compared to the much larger immigrant populations that are away from their home countries.

Nothing has changed with the virus, it will continue to flair up and lock downs will be made more restrictive and then cycled towards easing, the tightening of such typically without advance notice.

Welcome to the new normal. Accept such.

During the time of pandemic, all travel should be for truly essential purposes only. E.g., if you must go shopping to reprovision arrange for such to be say once a week or every two weeks to the grocery store, one person only, not the entire family, get in and get out, maybe go to the pharmacy then scurry back home to shelter. Or just have goods delivered and don't leave your home. Bars, no. Gym, no. Theatre, no. Restaurants, for take out, yes maybe, dine in, hell no. None of such are needed facilities or activities.

Cruising about from place to place is not essential. It may be a lifestyle but guess what so is living fixed to a mooring or in a marina, or on the hard, or terrestrial living in an abode.

Do I miss cruising, yes. Do I expect to be able to cruise anytime soon, NOPE. The larger of three boats is on the hard for long duration, being a expense for storage and for regular maintenance visits by hired personnel.

Will I be able to travel internationally or within the nation to avail important business progression. Limitedly, and very selectively and only when there is no alternative. Virtual presence is viable for 99% of the activities.

Family reunions, cancelled for 2020, had hoped for 2021, now postponed to be more realistic of viability for summer of 2022 conditional pending a resolution to Covid risks to permit interstate travel.

Hey, there are always the Youtube sailor video reruns one can watch to live vicariously from the comfort of your couch in your home.
Montanan, I would agree with almost all you say, except: for many here, like ourselves, our boat is our home.

Repatriate to where? Our country of citizenship of course.

But wait, all our possessions are on the boat, we have no dirt dwelling to go back to. We are in the States now, so we have no problems, but I have to put myself in the position I might have been in had we set off for the South Pacific like we wanted to. We are one decision away from being in their shoes and it's probably not as simple as "just go home" for many.
Old 04-08-2020, 16:15   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

This situation absolutely sucks for a lot of cruisers but I am in agreement: maybe it's time to put the boat on the hard and repatriate back to the country of citizenship. For some that is more difficult than others. For example, we have friends that are from two different countries, not married (for whatever reason they chose), and have been together for a very long time. Do we ask them to split up for an indefinite period of time?

If anything, COVID has shown the glaring gaps in international cooperation with an increasingly mobile populace. Most countries can't do as the US has done and just stick our heads in the sand and go it alone - we shouldn't! The opposite is true. Its an opportunistic time to start higher levels of cooperation between nation states. Strengthen treaties. Improve international healthcare services for travellers.

This is laughable though because most nations have large populations that have been cheered on by their own failed leadership to be xenophobic and self-centered.

With that said - if the opportunity to repatriate is available - these cruisers should do so. Indeed, this is a huge opportunity to reinvent themselves and find somewhere else to explore if possible. Rent or buy an RV, travel inside the country, visit inland museums (if they are open), go camping, visit long lost relatives, whatever... when things calm down they can return to their boats and go on their way.

For MOST cruisers this is an option and it would reduce the burden on those cruisers that have no other choice. If you are staying in a foreign country and you do not need to, you are making things more difficulty for those that have no other choice.
Old 04-08-2020, 16:23   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Just a odd word

I have never heard someone describe themselves as such, first time hearing that was watching some reality show on bravo while I was in a hotel, crew on large power boats, watch it and you’ll get why I made that post

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkszMqYD0VJx0i5Rz7ogd2Q
Well, "yachtie", often spelled "yottie" on CF, is a very common term in much of the world. It describes a person besotted with sailing and boats and such, such as a typical cruising sailor. It is not derogatory and I often use it to describe myself and other long term cruisers.

So, your one word post did not convey a message to me (and apparently others as well) and I was curious as to what you meant. And I am still curious, for the link you provided as explanation is unavailable here in Oz.

So, once again, what was your point?

Jim
Old 04-08-2020, 16:29   #30

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Having just returned from the Asia region when I had to leave my yacht/home , I can tell you that the situation is the same up there. Instead of trying to get pressure put on officials to make exceptions for circumstances an make comments that its boring in NZ , embrace the situation, at least you are not being told you are dirty Falangs(White people) who have brought the virus to this county as did the deputy PM of Thailand.

We are all in a similar situation,
The Govt of NZ at least has a program in place to deal with this situation rather than say it’s like the flu An will just go away .

If people want to sail off shore, where are you intending to go to, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, an most Pacific islands down want you an will refuse you entry.

Tags
New Zealand, yacht