Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 09:08   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: When do you think the borders will be open? (let alone back to normal)

There is no use trying to apply logic to a herd response.

Grenada and Dominica are both pretty open. Martinique and Guadeloupe open to EU and Schengen, Trinidad - CLOSED!
Old 19-05-2021, 09:29   #17

Boat: C&C

Didn't we just go down this road with an almost exact same post a few days ago with nothing resolved except some mud slinging!? I think the Moderators should end this now. "There's no definite answer" is the only response.
Old 19-05-2021, 09:37   #18

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

With respect to the Canada-US border, assuming we (Canada) have a population of just under 40 million, we've gotten at least one shot into just about 50%, or around 20 million. The talk is that we can open up when 75% have received their first shot and 25% have received their second. To reach the 75%, some 30 million would have to have had their first shot. We're vaccinating about 2 million a week - so in 5 weeks we should be there, 75% vaccinated, end of June. Given July 1st is our national holiday (Canada Day) and our unofficial start of summer, I suspect there will be great pressure to mostly open up, at least internally, by then.

Our second shot rate is now less than 5% - or about 2 million people. To reach 25% (10 million people) would need another 4 weeks (at 2 million a week). So end of July.

(The research is showing that delaying the second shot to around 4 months or so actually IMPROVES overall immunity and so that is what Canada is doing - and it is being carefully managed - at least here in BC).

Personally I suspect the number of cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. in Canada will drop precipitously over the next month or so and the pressure to open will be tremendous.

The tourist industry is REALLY important in many, many places in Canada - and can hardly afford to lose another summer - so I suspect they will be pushing really, really hard to open up sooner, rather than later.

So take your pick: July 1 or August 1 for Canada to re-open - at least for internal and possibly US tourists - providing the US also has a vaccination rate up in the 75%/25% range.

Just my humble opinion. Take care all.
Old 19-05-2021, 10:02   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

The countries of the world will open up when their governments say they will open up. Until then, why even think about it? Waste of time.

We have no idea what mutation the current virus can or will do.

Get vaccinated and go where you can. Currently Mexico is open so that's my plan this year. If in the spring the South Pacific is open, awesome. I'm there. If not, well Mexico is till a great place to be or there is a lot open in the Caribbean now. As things change for the better or worse we'll all just have to change our plans with them.
Old 19-05-2021, 10:04   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We have just gone by car from UK to Croatia passing through 7 European countries, we needed a negative PCR Cov 19 test and that would have sufficed. We are also fully vaccinated and Croatia accepted UK NHS proof of vaccination. So things are opening up, especially for those vaccinated. Most of the countries we transited we would have had to self quarantine if we were staying, as all are just getting over a bad 2nd or 3rd peak of infections. So things are opening up, somewhat disjointedly, with special measures in the same way as air travel and countries responded to 9/11
Old 19-05-2021, 10:04   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Didn't we just go down this road with an almost exact same post a few days ago with nothing resolved except some mud slinging!? I think the Moderators should end this now. "There's no definite answer" is the only response.
I'm somewhat in agreement with the above: in reality nobody knows.

But just a thought in response to all the expectations of borders reopening following enough of the population being vaccinated.
Both Pfizer and BioNTech said previously that data from their Phase 3 trial showed high levels of protection against COVID six months after second doses. Research has also suggested the protection the Moderna vaccine gives against COVID-19 lasts for at least six months.

And it's always been expected that the Covid vaccination will be an annual event.

So we can expect travel in the future to be far more expensive with considerable restrictions due to covid testing, quarantine requirements and annual vaccinations.

Someone posted yesterday and mentioned Fiji and how well their roll out programme is going. Fiji is now going through an awful time with significant lockdowns and a curfew for the majority of the urban population. Whilst cruising yachts are still welcome, they are not allowed to have any crew go ashore except at Denerau and Savusavua. The edict even includes uninhabited islands, and non conformers face serious penalties.
Old 19-05-2021, 10:07   #22

Quote:

Thx. Th mods are busy with regular day-to-day affairs, I think. But you're right, the old crystal ball routine repeated...ad nauseum, emphasis on the last word there.

September 32nd is my guess.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-05-2021, 10:29   #23

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION ESPECIALLY TO EVERY BOAT AND EVERY CAPTAIN STUCK SOMEWHERE WAITING TO START WORLD CRUISING AGAIN!!!!!
I wish this discussion was part of every forum. I wonder what the number of boats is that are like myself waiting to continue on cruising the world. I think by midyear 2022 there will be a limited number safe cruising opportunities. Safe being the key word. Just because a country is open does not mean its safe togo there. The idea there may be increased piracy due to economic stress due to Covid might well be something to consider as well. Joining Rallies might become more important for safety in some areas.
So yes I am thankful for this very important conversation. I hope this discussion goes on and on about every part of the world. After all the name of this forum is Cruisers Forum.
Old 19-05-2021, 11:27   #24

Quote:
Didn't we just go down this road with an almost exact same post a few days ago with nothing resolved except some mud slinging!?
Well, if the anti-vaxxers and the "wuhan flu" and the "it's all overblown" folks can spare us yet another installment of their wisdom, and we stick to the topic, it could be a very useful thread indeed.
Old 19-05-2021, 11:32   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It probably depends on the nation. I doubt there is a blanket date.
Old 19-05-2021, 15:21   #26

Return to normal? Never because its a political operation
Old 19-05-2021, 15:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION ESPECIALLY TO EVERY BOAT AND EVERY CAPTAIN STUCK SOMEWHERE WAITING TO START WORLD CRUISING AGAIN!!!!!
I wish this discussion was part of every forum. I wonder what the number of boats is that are like myself waiting to continue on cruising the world. I think by midyear 2022 there will be a limited number safe cruising opportunities. Safe being the key word. Just because a country is open does not mean its safe togo there. The idea there may be increased piracy due to economic stress due to Covid might well be something to consider as well. Joining Rallies might become more important for safety in some areas.
So yes I am thankful for this very important conversation. I hope this discussion goes on and on about every part of the world. After all the name of this forum is Cruisers Forum.

That's all very true.

The part that doesn't "compute" for me is the "lottery" mentality of guessing when borders / any individual border / or boarders !!! will open.

Why? Because my guess is always worse than yours, and the only two people in the world who can decide it for, say Canada and the US, are Trudeau and Biden.

They'll let us know when they are ready.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-05-2021, 18:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
I think we can get the perspective so far as to it depends on country and regions.
I think US/Canada may get to open later this year; EU regions open within themselves end of this year.
Progress is still unclear for other countries other than Australia, New Zealand and certain South America countries so far.
Old 19-05-2021, 19:29   #29

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The part that doesn't "compute" for me is the "lottery" mentality of guessing when borders / any individual border / or boarders !!! will open.
Agreed.

Guesses seem to be based on the assumption that the virus will not evolve further.

On the contrary, the B.1.617.1 variant seems to be continuing to evolve and in directions that are not necessarily in our favour.

In my jurisdiction, government health officials are reporting patients who (1) test negative; (2) show no symptoms; but nevertheless report respiratory distress and then (3) rapidly progress to critical condition and death.

Further spread of evolved members of that and other variants may soon convince authorities that after 18 months we are but in the start of the first wave of infection.
Old 19-05-2021, 20:10   #30

Boat: Cal 2-46

I just returned to Canada from Mexico and I would say the Mexico boarder is OPEN. I have watched many US citizens arriving before I left. I have 2 more days of Quarantine after having 3 Negative Covid test.
Problem I have is I would like to sail to the San Juans and visit my brother on Orcas, but I would have to do another 14 day Quarantine. I have the J&J but Canada is holding tight so far.