Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 14:46   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Vaccine Hesitancy and the Pandemic

Health care workers should be taking Ivermectin as a prophylactic.
Old 22-12-2020, 14:49   #17
cruiser

It looks like there was no "hesitancy" on the part of another politician to cut in line ahead of the frontline healthcare workers:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc...cism-lawmakers

Cowards, the same type would probably push down the old ladies and children on the way out of a building during a fire drill.
Old 22-12-2020, 15:04   #18

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think it makes sense for some to go to the front of the queue so as to set an example for the public at large.... people like Fauci, Biden and Pence ... leadership by example...
For the rest... get in line...
I ticked the boxes on a NYT thingo the other day.... seems that if I was in the US there would be 108 million ahead of me....

I consider myself to have urgent business in an overseas 'covid rich' country..... bad luck me.

Be thankful you have the vaccine in your country... down here Scotty has right royally stuffed things up... no vaccine in 'Straya until March.

Head of the queue here along with healthcare workers should be aircrew, airport, and quarantine hotel workers as that is where our risk lies. Stop it there and the country is protected.
Old 22-12-2020, 15:16   #19

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohla View Post

Polls are notoriously inaccurate. People lie to pollsters. People change their minds. People rarely think clearly:

I'm going to add that the media frames poll results as sensational as possible. It's their job not to inform you but to scare you so you'll read the article.

KZ
Old 22-12-2020, 18:48   #20

Boat: 26ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
It looks like there was no "hesitancy" on the part of another politician to cut in line ahead of the frontline healthcare workers:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc...cism-lawmakers

Cowards, the same type would probably push down the old ladies and children on the way out of a building during a fire drill.

I think Pence beat her to the head of the line.... or it was a tie.
Old 22-12-2020, 19:39   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why? If a limited number of people are willing to pay 300x what it costs, this money can be used to expand production, and actually vaccinate more people faster.

Of course not ahead of front line health care workers; I never suggested that.
It is not lack of money that is the limiting factor in expanding production. Lots of money is and has been available to do this.
Old 22-12-2020, 20:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
I work in the field and see what's going on all around me, read whatever you wish, but please try to interpret and understand the article I referenced for what it is, just one small example of what's taking place all over America with the vaccine. Did you happen to notice that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pushed ahead of all frontline healthcare workers in America for her vaccine?
Are you seriously arguing someone in her 80s who is second inline for the presidency shouldn't be taking the vaccine in front of you?
Old 22-12-2020, 21:20   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

There should be a separate line for people who are frequent business travellers (so huge amount of social contact), and who are willing to pay €1000, or €3000 or whatever to be vaccinated. The extra money would help expand production -- win-win situation.
I gotta say this concept wouldn't get a guernsey Down Under - as a rule we don't like the idea that money buys special favours when we are all in the pandemic together but maybe the idea could get traction 'Up Over'.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-12-2020, 21:50   #24

Boat: Outremer 50S

Back to Dockhead’s original topic, I find a great deal of cultural interest in the vaccination hesitancy of the first world contrasted with the near universal theoretical (i.e. based solely on polling) acceptance of a transmission blocking vaccine for malaria among “third world” populations.

Quote:
A purely transmission-blocking vaccine would not directly confer protection against malarial disease to the recipient. Instead, it would prevent infection of the vector by stimulating antibody production against mosquito-infective forms, such as gametocytes, zygotes, and ookinetes. Antibodies would be taken up along with an infectious blood meal and would inhibit further parasite development within the mosquito. Thus, a TBV would prevent infection of mosquitoes, resulting in reduced transmission at the population level.
https://malariajournal.biomedcentral...936-018-2328-z

I guess people who have to live with watching friends and neighbors die for generation after generation have a different take on these things.
Old 22-12-2020, 23:02   #25

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I would like to think it works that way. But we’re at 320,000 fatalities today and a death rate of 3,500 a day will double that count by mid-March should change attitudes— yet people are still crowding bars and restaurants, partying, and resisting masks. Seems like the Third World is on to something.
Old 22-12-2020, 23:16   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
It is not lack of money that is the limiting factor in expanding production. Lots of money is and has been available to do this.

Do we know that? I don't think we do. "Lots of money" is never enough, where a truly massive program like this is concerned.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 22-12-2020, 23:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I gotta say this concept wouldn't get a guernsey Down Under - as a rule we don't like the idea that money buys special favours when we are all in the pandemic together but maybe the idea could get traction 'Up Over'.
Tell that to the universities. Full fee gets you in even if your scores are not high enough for HECS places. Only country I know with that policy.

Not that university grads make more than a good tradie in aus due to controlled immigration.
Old 22-12-2020, 23:44   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
They also figure that if those that are vulnerable to Covid get vaccinated, then what's the problem if they don't?
If my understanding is correct, it depends on individual's immune system, and the statistics don't really take outliers into consideration.

There is also the factor that (because our daughter/daughter-in law lives there, we're up to date) in her county (like a shire) all the intensive care beds are already full of what are probably terminal Covid 19 sufferers. What happens next is that the mortuaries, crematoria, and burial grounds get overloaded. And, honestly, mass graves seem to offend people in first world countries; but, neglect of the beloved dead offends them more.

If everyone is really careful, and we are able to limit hospital admissions to a rate the systems can accommodate, it will be better for all of us.

Whether people will grow up enough to choose an alternative that does both themselves and others, as well, benefit....well, that remains to be seen.

Ironically, if they don't, more remains will be seen.

Ann
Old 22-12-2020, 23:47   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
They also figure that if those that are vulnerable to Covid get vaccinated, then what's the problem if they don't?
If my understanding is correct, it depends on individual's immune system, and the statistics don't really take outliers into consideration.

There is also the factor that (because our daughter/daughter-in law lives there, we're up to date) in her county (like a shire) all the intensive care beds are already full of what are probably terminal Covid 19 sufferers. What happens next is that the mortuaries, crematoria, and burial grounds get overloaded. There's nowhere to put all the dead bodies. And, honestly, mass graves seem to offend people in first world countries; but, neglect of the beloved dead offends them more.

If everyone is really careful, and we are able to limit hospital admissions to a rate the systems can accommodate, it will be better for all of us.

Whether people will grow up enough to choose an alternative that does both themselves and others, as well, benefit....well, that remains to be seen.

Ironically, if they don't, more remains will be seen.

Ann

PS. I want to ask everybody to stay cool. These are very stressful times. Cut the other guys some slack, please.

Ann
Old 22-12-2020, 23:49   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
And BTW just read that I am LAST in line to be vaccinated. I was sick with COVID almost a year ago and not sure I'm still immune. Healthy, under 65 and NOT an "essential worker" -- I probably won't be able to have mine until summer unless I go to Russia for it.

There should be a separate line for people who are frequent business travellers (so huge amount of social contact), and who are willing to pay €1000, or €3000 or whatever to be vaccinated. The extra money would help expand production -- win-win situation.
If you tried that stunt in Australia it would lead to tears... your tears.

Yes rich-listers here would like to think the rules don't apply to them... and often get away with it... doesn't mean we like it..or them...

We bent the rules for the Indian cricket team... look where that got them....