Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 07:42   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
U.S. to close..

..again? Remember this past spring quite a few marinas where forced/volunteered to close and entry to the US was restricted for a few weeks.

I’m afraid this may happen again in some form or another in the near future..
Old 08-11-2020, 08:00   #2

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: U.S. to close..

Don’t worry about it to much, if we pull/ work together as each other’s fellow country men and women, which we are, this will get under control to the point of our lives starting to resemble normalcy in a relatively short period of time. United we beat this, divided it will continue to be the sh-t show it has been. If we get over ourselves and work together we will beat this.

Fair winds,
Old 08-11-2020, 08:15   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Don’t get why some imply we haven’t been working together. Despite the hyperbole about it being a “s..it show”, we have effectively united.

As to what marinas may be forced to do henceforth, it would be a frivolous transparent gesture to close them given its winter and many are already effectively abandoned. All that’s left to see is how eager some are to appear to be engaged regardless of any substantive action.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

We do worry about it..a lot of cruisers where either stuck in port or refused entry this past spring..getting fuel, food and water was another issue ..
So yes theses are major concerns...
Old 08-11-2020, 08:21   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Yeah, I’m not seeing any uniting over Covid response or anything else.

We pretended to close our borders, but left so many loopholes that it was meaningless.

We pretended to lockdown our communities, but left so many loopholes that it was meaningless.

We pretended that mask wearing was key to stopping the transmission, but left so many loopholes that it was meaningless.

Now what are we going to pretend to do next?

It was modeled and predicted that if we did absolutely nothing to fight Covid then we could see as many as 200,000 deaths. Now we have over 236,000 dead: more than if we had done nothing and we are months if not a year away from mass vaccination. Apparently 1/2 measures are worse than doing nothing at all......
Old 08-11-2020, 09:48   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Don’t worry about it to much, if we pull/ work together as each other’s fellow country men and women, which we are, this will get under control to the point of our lives starting to resemble normalcy in a relatively short period of time. United we beat this, divided it will continue to be the sh-t show it has been. If we get over ourselves and work together we will beat this.

Fair winds,
Yeah right...thats gonna happen in todays USA.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:06   #7

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
..again? Remember this past spring quite a few marinas where forced/volunteered to close and entry to the US was restricted for a few weeks.

I’m afraid this may happen again in some form or another in the near future..
What makes you say this?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
What makes you say this?
Wait and see...
Old 08-11-2020, 13:03   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Yeah, I’m not seeing any uniting over Covid response or anything else.

We pretended to close our borders, but left so many loopholes that it was meaningless.

We pretended to lockdown our communities, but left so many loopholes that it was meaningless.

We pretended that mask wearing was key to stopping the transmission, but left so many loopholes that it was meaningless.

Now what are we going to pretend to do next?

It was modeled and predicted that if we did absolutely nothing to fight Covid then we could see as many as 200,000 deaths. Now we have over 236,000 dead: more than if we had done nothing and we are months if not a year away from mass vaccination. Apparently 1/2 measures are worse than doing nothing at all......
Well said
Hopefully now, things are set to change.
Old 08-11-2020, 13:07   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

It was modeled and predicted that if we did absolutely nothing to fight Covid then we could see as many as 200,000 deaths. Now we have over 236,000 dead: more than if we had done nothing and we are months if not a year away from mass vaccination. ....
Facts matter. Even in California.
Those ‘do nothing’ models actually predicted 2 to 3 MILLION deaths. What we experienced is 90% reduction by doing what we’ve done. Not great but not bad either by comparison.
Old 08-11-2020, 13:46   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

A vaccine is the only solution. Ft Detrick has developed one the should be out this year. May take a few years for production to reach demand. Non N95 masks are only slightly better than nothing and N95 should be reserved for healthcare workers. Dont listen to the bleeding heart media with a political agenda. There's not a country on earth that kept Covid out.
Old 08-11-2020, 13:47   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Facts matter. Even in California.
Those ‘do nothing’ models actually predicted 2 to 3 MILLION deaths. What we experienced is 90% reduction by doing what we’ve done. Not great but not bad either by comparison.
Without a vaccine all the containment efforts are only going to prolong the presence of Covid 19. Even a vaccine is no guarantee that we won't be facing the virus for a long time with its ability to mutate that may render the vaccines ineffective. Virus mutation and/or herd immunity is what has stopped these pandemics throughout history. Lock downs and the drastic measures aren't a solution and will only work in Island Nations that can have total control of their borders and Draconian lockdown procedures to eradicate the virus.
Old 08-11-2020, 14:08   #13

Unlike South Korea and others, we didn't do the right things to end it. They started the SAME DAY we did.
We just drug it out with lip service until now everyone is just too tired of it all to what's necessary. AND now re-stopping is a problem too because it took so long it became political.
So I don't know what will need to happen, likely a short complete shutdown like should have been done in the beginning.??
Look at the S. Korea response by April below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	south korea covid stats - Google Search.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	226638  

Old 08-11-2020, 14:45   #14

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Wait and see...
I certainly hope you are right, but I fear it is too late for us since we did nothing to contain it at the outset and allowed it to overrun the country. I just heard on the radio in my car that we had nearly 6000 new cases today in Minnesota, almost double of just a week ago. Meanwhile last month the Coastal Classic yacht race in New Zealand had 175 boats on the start line, no masks , no social distancing because they no longer have community spread.
Old 08-11-2020, 15:07   #15

There is encouragement in therapy. The vaccine may or may not be effective for long. But therapies have gotten a lot better in the last few months, so that deaths from Covid are a smaller percentage of those infected.
"The latest hope are passive immune therapy via human/humanised polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies. Such antibodies can be cloned from the B cell repertoire of recovered patients or be genetically engineered in the laboratory. Monoclonal antibodies can be produced rapidly, safely, and in large volumes with current technologies."