Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 03:20   #1

Turkey to Malta, Transiting Greek Waters

I am a USA citizen with a USA flagged vessel currently berthed near Izmir, Turkey. Malta will accept my entry after spending 14 days in a “corridor country,” i.e. Turkey.
My question: Can I transit Greek waters (without stopping) en route from Turkey to Malta?
Old 26-01-2021, 04:04   #2

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Turkey to Malta, Transiting Greek Waters

I am an USA Citizen aboard a USA flagged boat currently in Preveza Greece. I bought my boat in Malta and sailed here via Sicily in 2019. Yes you can sail from Turkey to Malta without stopping in Greece. South of the Peloponnese and a bit of a long trip but doable. Grand Harbour Marina is wonderful and Malta is a jewel in the Med.
I believe that you can stop in a Greek port but you must quarantine for 2 weeks on board. I think that if you arrive without approval of the port police then its like a 5K euro fine for the boat captain and 300 for each person.
A Dane friend and 2 crew recently delivered a new Cat from La Rochelle to Fethiye in a straight shot. I would not be excited about doing it alone.
Old 26-01-2021, 04:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey to Malta, Transiting Greek Waters

I have done it via the Corinth canal but you would need to check if the stop at the Eastern end to clear through the canal would count as a stop as you are 'In Transit'.
Otherwise it's the long haul round the bottom.. though I would not recommend this till much later in the year.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."

Tags
Malta, Turkey, water