Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2020, 00:36   #1

Traveling to France to pick up a new boat

I have purchased a new boat in France which was delivered in March 2020 and which will be in water in two weeks. I traveled to France at the beginning of March but have to go back with all my belongings back to Germany due to the stiff lockdown restrictions in France. For this purpose I have rented a Van in France which is still here in my hometown.

I need to bring the rental van back to France and pick up my boat to travel to the Canaries, but it seems that there is no way to cross the border between Germany and France for "touristic purposes". Daysailing will be allowed in France from the the beginning of next week but the marinas will be open for residents only.

Professional crews, even if not french citizens, are allowed to pick up boats and to leave french marinas. Boat owners are not allowed to be on board. Hiring a professional crew is not an option for my as all of the boat equipment is still in the rental van which I have to bring back to France anyway.

My question is if anyone of you has the same problem and maybe a solution how to travel legally to France and get out of this country by his own boat?

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Yatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:07   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Traveling to France to pick up a new boat

Print some business cards and call yourself the delivery skipper?

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:13   #3

Owners are not allowed to call themselves "delivery skipper" in this case. The problem is to cross the border into France: Once you are in, I think it will be ok to get on the boat and leave the marina for a day trip - nobody can force you to come back once you have passed th 12nm zone.
Yatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 16:39   #4

Boat: between boats

If you even manage to leave the French marina somehow what makes you think you will be able to enter another country, especially an island like canaries?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 17:27   #5

Ministry of Transport notice:

https://www.noonsite.com/wp-content/...60.pdf.pdf.pdf

Per noonsite:

Canary Islands

20 April, 2020:

Lockdown has been extended to 09 May, 2020.

Spanish ports are still closed to foreign vessels, except in an emergency situation.
In cases of emergency, the Captain must provide the port authority with the following:
– Nature of the emergency
– List of all previous harbors visited in the last 30 days (name of harbor and arrival/departure date)
– Crew list, including a confirmation of good health during the last 14 days.
– Vessel’s documentation; type of vessel, dimensions, etc.
18 March, 2020:

A Spanish Govt. Ministerial Order was passed yesterday (with effect from 18 March), prohibiting entry in Canarian ports to all recreational boat traffic.
https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2020/03/...-2020-3822.pdf

Island cases as of May 7th, 2020

By islands, the one with the most accumulated cases is Tenerife, which has 1,425 cases; Gran Canaria follows with 577 cases; La Palma, 92 cases; Lanzarote, 84 cases; Fuerteventura, 44 cases; La Gomera, 10 cases and El Hierro, 3 cases.

The deceased by islands are divided as follows: 98 deceased in Tenerife; 6 in La Palma; 0 in La Gomera; 0 in El Hierro; 35 in Gran Canaria; 5 in Lanzarote and 0 in Fuerteventura **.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 17:31   #6

May 5th 2020

President Macron advises French Citizens that there will be limits against international travel during the summer.

It's still too soon for the French to consider their much-cherished summer vacations, President Emmanuel Macron said Tuesday.

Macron also cautioned citizens against planning international holidays.

We haven't won the battle against the virus," he said. "It has slowed down. We are entering a new phase. It is too early to talk about vacations.”
Macron added: "We are going to limit all international travel, even during summer vacation. We will stay among Europeans ... maybe as the epidemic evolves, we'll even have to reduce that a little more, but it is too early to tell. We will know in early June."

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...ntl/index.html
Old 07-05-2020, 17:45   #7

The European Union’s ban on nonessential travel from countries outside the bloc is set to expire May 15. But one E.U. official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss deliberations, said the ban was highly likely to be extended for another month at least.

On top of that, some countries are considering mandatory quarantines for international arrivals.

Thierry Breton, a member of the European Commission who handles tourism policy, told French radio that it is likely that certain areas of the European Union would be open to tourists and others not. He said borders could turn on and off between E.U. countries depending on the outbreak. “It is like this, and it has to be accepted,” he said. “The borders of the pandemic do not match geographical borders.”

German tourism commissioner Thomas Bareiss confirmed that Germany was in talks with its neighbors about permitting summer vacation travel. I hope that given the good numbers, we will be able to relax the restrictions in the next four to eight weeks,” he said, adding that destinations “that can be reached by car” would be the most likely possibilities.

Other countries, though, don’t appear ready to reopen their borders anytime soon. France has extended its coronvirus-related border controls until the end of October. Denmark, Norway and Sweden have indicated that theirs will continue until at least Nov. 12.

Some officials have expressed hope that coronavirus-tracking apps might enable countries to open their borders to fellow Europeans, while retaining the ability to alert people who may have been exposed to the virus. But such apps are in their early stages, there are concerns about whether the voluntary technology will be adopted widely, and the versions France and Britain are pursuing may not be compatible with the rest of Europe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c93_story.html
Old 08-05-2020, 10:26   #8

France will keep its borders closed to all but essential travel until at least June 15th, the Interior Minister has announced.

At present anyone travelling from Europe - including the UK - needs an international travel permit and can only cross the border if they meet certain criteria.

Castaner announced on Thursday that these rules will remain in place until "at least June 15th".

He said: "Since the start of the crisis the closure of the borders is the rule, and the authorisation to cross a border is the exception. "We have to keep this protection in place, this will not change soon." He added that cross-border workers will remain exempt from this restriction. For travellers from outside Europe there is an EU ban on all non essential travel and Castaner said this will remain in place "until further notice". However the compulsory quarantine which had been causing some confusion over the past week will not, at this stage, be applied to people arriving from inside the EU or Schengen zone.

The current rules which remain in place are;

French citizens can return to the country, but anyone coming from within Europe (including the UK) will need to meet one of the following criteria to be allowed into the country:

People who have their primary residence in France. This does NOT include second home owners. Third country nationals will need to present a visa or residency card while EU nationals (which for this purpose still includes British people) do not need any proof of residency status.
People who have their permanent residency in another European country and are travelling through France to get home
Healthcare workers engaged in coronavirus-related care
Commercial good carriers such as lorry drivers and flight or cargo crews
Diplomatic staff
Cross-border workers. So for example if you live in France but work in Switzerland you can still travel back and forth.
Everyone travelling needs an attestation de déplacement international - find out more here. https://www.thelocal.fr/20200407/per...ntering-france

Certificates are being checked at the border and when boarding transport to France and the French police can and will turn people back

Tags
boat, France, new boat