Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 11:13   #1

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Toronto and Ontario - All clubs and marinas closed

All marinas and yacht clubs to be closed for the two weeks (or any extensions) during the state of emergency.
Entry is restricted to emergencies only and no boat work is allowed.
Liveaboards are excempt.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:33   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Toronto and Ontario - All clubs and marinas closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
All marinas and yacht clubs to be closed for the two weeks (or any extensions) during the state of emergency.
Liveaboards are excempt.
Yep, started last week! we're half way through!

Old 01-04-2020, 11:36   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post

Hopefully ...
Old 01-04-2020, 11:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
That would be nice, but it is until Apr 14 unfortunately.

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/...-covid-19.html
Old 01-04-2020, 11:57   #5

Quote:
That would be nice, but it is until Apr 14 unfortunately.

Weird, they shut the marina's down on the 25th !!!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41   #6

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

These broad brush prohibitions are infuriating. Yes, we all need to keep our distance, yes, we should not gather in groups, and many recreational activities place people in groups and in close contact with others.

A reasonable and thoughtful approach is to ban the activities that create the opportunity to spread the virus. Those activities with negligible risk, like sitting on your sail boat I the middle of Lake Ontario or working on your boat on the hard. Neither of these present much risk.

So ban rafting and partying, allow only household members on the boat, and close common spaces at the marina. Let me sit on my boat quietly supporting the Canadian brewing industry.

Fortunately in NY places of accommodation and places that sell fuel are deemed essential businesses and may remain open. My marina is staying open because both of the conditions are met for the facility.

South of the border we are not immune to these ridiculous prohibitions. It is almost enough to make me a Libertarian.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41   #7

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Liveaboards are exempt.
Do you have any proof of that? I was at my Toronto marina yesterday (April 1) to work on my boat and I got by the gate without issue. There was no signage and several people were working on their boats at a distance. I could see if launching was postponed because people tend to gather, especially clubs that hire a crane and launch all the boats in one day. It would be impossible to pass someone on a dock and remain 2 metres away, never mind the socializing.

I'm not sure me working alone on my boat on the hard would in any way endanger me or my fellow boater.

"I could be wrong, but I don't think so" - Randy Newman
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51   #8

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

I tought Toronto was part of Ontario?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
Do you have any proof of that? I was at my Toronto marina yesterday (April 1) to work on my boat and I got by the gate without issue. There was no signage and several people were working on their boats at a distance. I could see if launching was postponed because people tend to gather, especially clubs that hire a crane and launch all the boats in one day. It would be impossible to pass someone on a dock and remain 2 metres away, never mind the socializing.

I'm not sure me working alone on my boat on the hard would in any way endanger me or my fellow boater.

have a look at the link:

I can tell you that 3 marina's around me are closed. as in don't even come down to the boat closed. Whitby, Darlington and Wiggers are all shut down tight. Now they can't really stop you from showing up, but that's just irresponsible! Shutting down the recreational facilities is deisgned to stop you congregating there but ALSO to discourage you from stopping along the way to get a coffee, pick up fasteners, pick up parts, etc. all creating additional interactions and additional possible risk.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:10   #10
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
...Let me sit on my boat quietly supporting the Canadian brewing industry.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:11   #11

Boat: Saga 35

An email received from the owner/operator of Collins Bay Marina, Kingston ON.

ATTENTION ALL CBM BOATERS- RE:COVID-19

At this time the Provincial Government and the City of Kingston have issued a State of Emergency regarding the COVID-19 crisis that we are all unfortunately facing.

All marinas and yacht clubs are deemed an unessential service and Collins Bay Marina is NOT able to allow any boaters/customers/members onsite at this time until the State of Emergency is lifted.

Please DO NOT enter the marina! We will be checking the yard daily to make sure all the boats are ok and we are available by phone or email if you have any questions.

We understand your concerns and we ask everyone for your support during these unprecedented times.

Thank you for abiding by this, and we hope you will all be safe and healthy at home.

The state of emergency due to COVID-19 WILL pass and we will be ready to open and launch as soon as we are allowed.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
These broad brush prohibitions are infuriating. Yes, we all need to keep our distance, yes, we should not gather in groups, and many recreational activities place people in groups and in close contact with others.

A reasonable and thoughtful approach is to ban the activities that create the opportunity to spread the virus. Those activities with negligible risk, like sitting on your sail boat I the middle of Lake Ontario or working on your boat on the hard. Neither of these present much risk.

So ban rafting and partying, allow only household members on the boat, and close common spaces at the marina. Let me sit on my boat quietly supporting the Canadian brewing industry.

Fortunately in NY places of accommodation and places that sell fuel are deemed essential businesses and may remain open. My marina is staying open because both of the conditions are met for the facility.

South of the border we are not immune to these ridiculous prohibitions. It is almost enough to make me a Libertarian.
I'm with you on that. But some of us don't have common sense and all of us need to pay the price - nanny state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post

Fortunately they are sending the police or have not cordoned off the clubs and marinas. It was a joint decision by OSA with the clubs and marinas to abey to the non-essential closure and I guess its up to the individual places to enforce it.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:18   #13

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Everything will be closed until October.
This summer sailing is shot.

I was hoping to go to my boat this weekend to charge the batteries, but I guess that will not be possible.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post

I was hoping to go to my boat this weekend to charge the batteries, but I guess that will not be possible.
October of what year? ...and you may never need those batteries anyway....

Someone suggested I take up gardening, God forbid!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post

I absolutely think the current lockdown is necessary... but I am expecting it to start to be relaxed some time in May. This is because by then we will either be at or just past the North American peak, they will have thrown the kitchen sink at it, found some treatments that improve survival rates, and have come up with a more selective strategy for protecting the most vulnerable (eg - seniors who can't otherwise isolate get 6 months free at commandeered vacation resorts )

Seriously, there is a limit to what people can take. Maybe the rich can last for longer in isolation at their vacation homes, but the average person will at some point stop being compliant with an indefinite lockdown.

Closed Thread

Tags
marinas, ontario