Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 17:33   #796
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne
Boat: Van De Stadt Caribbean 40
Posts: 162
Images: 1
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

So just an update for all you over 60th knockers.

Booked an appointment yesterday afternoon for this morning 0900 at the Townsville vaccination center.
Walked in even that it still says under 60 ONLY , presented my ID and was told , pls. take a seat sir. 15 min later i had my first Pfizer shot in the arm.

a fair few of much older citizens there too and no anti 60th sentiment.

I know Townsville is a fair way to sail for Pfizer but if it can be done here why all the discrimination and the war of words?

Give people the choice and you see the numbers going up , give people the shits and yes passive resistence will only go up.

in 3 weeks i get my second shot , again no anti 60th sentiment when they booked me in , just very friendly people.

I am definately starting to like far north QLD.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 17:49   #797
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body back in Oz, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 6,676
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
So just an update for all you over 60th knockers.

Booked an appointment yesterday afternoon for this morning 0900 at the Townsville vaccination center.
Walked in even that it still says under 60 ONLY , presented my ID and was told , pls. take a seat sir. 15 min later i had my first Pfizer shot in the arm.

a fair few of much older citizens there too and no anti 60th sentiment.

I know Townsville is a fair way to sail for Pfizer but if it can be done here why all the discrimination and the war of words?

Give people the choice and you see the numbers going up , give people the shits and yes passive resistence will only go up.

in 3 weeks i get my second shot , again no anti 60th sentiment when they booked me in , just very friendly people.

I am definately starting to like far north QLD.
Good on you!

Maybe there is less demand up there.

Maybe there is still a shortage down south.
(If I was a 60/64 yo in Melbourne just now I wouldn't be too fussy about what I was getting).

PS As I stated before I'm not an over 60 knocker - I'm an under 70 knocker.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:20   #798
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Still Stuck in Melbin
Posts: 35
Images: 10
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
So just an update for all you over 60th knockers.

Booked an appointment yesterday afternoon for this morning 0900 at the Townsville vaccination center.
Walked in even that it still says under 60 ONLY , presented my ID and was told , pls. take a seat sir. 15 min later i had my first Pfizer shot in the arm.

a fair few of much older citizens there too and no anti 60th sentiment.

I know Townsville is a fair way to sail for Pfizer but if it can be done here why all the discrimination and the war of words?

Give people the choice and you see the numbers going up , give people the shits and yes passive resistence will only go up.

in 3 weeks i get my second shot , again no anti 60th sentiment when they booked me in , just very friendly people.

I am definately starting to like far north QLD.

Good one!


So, you are obvious not anti-vax, but what was it about Pfizer that you felt was worth the bother?

a) I think pfizer is a better vaccine and will protect me ( and others ) better
b) I don't like the government not giving me a choice
c) I thought the adverse reaction risk of AZ to great
d) other


To be honest, I would give quite a lot to be out of Melbourne and up at sunny Magnetic Island at the moment.



full disclosure: had Az vax the first week it was available to category 2. At that time there was no TTS reported and Pfizer was is such short supply It was not likely to be available anytime soon. I decided to just go ahead despite the lower efficacy of AZ. Now, it seems any will do, the reduced hospitalization rates amongst vaccinated people makes it worth while.
tanngrisnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:37   #799
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,678
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
...

presented my ID and was told , pls. take a seat sir. 15 min later i had my first Pfizer shot in the arm.
...

So, has your 5G reception improved yet? I think it may take a few days.
__________________
On my way at last.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:53   #800
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne
Boat: Van De Stadt Caribbean 40
Posts: 162
Images: 1
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
Good one!


So, you are obvious not anti-vax, but what was it about Pfizer that you felt was worth the bother?

a) I think pfizer is a better vaccine and will protect me ( and others ) better
b) I don't like the government not giving me a choice
c) I thought the adverse reaction risk of AZ to great
d) other


To be honest, I would give quite a lot to be out of Melbourne and up at sunny Magnetic Island at the moment.



full disclosure: had Az vax the first week it was available to category 2. At that time there was no TTS reported and Pfizer was is such short supply It was not likely to be available anytime soon. I decided to just go ahead despite the lower efficacy of AZ. Now, it seems any will do, the reduced hospitalization rates amongst vaccinated people makes it worth while.
Not at all anti Vax but i would say , B, A , C would be my order for waiting this long.

Yes i can understand that you would rather be up here at 30 degrees then in Melbourne with around 8 degree.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 19:09   #801
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne
Boat: Van De Stadt Caribbean 40
Posts: 162
Images: 1
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
So, has your 5G reception improved yet? I think it may take a few days.
All of a sudden i get TV reception here but still waiting to see if it is a Tesla chip because i am hanging out for Starlink.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 20:35   #802
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 12,967
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
.......
To be honest, I would give quite a lot to be out of Melbourne and up at sunny Magnetic Island at the moment.
........
Meanwhile from the QLD Deep South we have this from the Gold Coast Bulletin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	241859038_10158438425572358_1640554420349262112_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	245345  
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 23:47   #803
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 12,967
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

More breaking Covid news in Oz and a further interruption to the Sydney to Hobart race. It is going to get a whole lot tougher to sail to Hobart in the future and the old course will seem like a walk in the park compared to the new course.

Remember you first heard about this on CF.

More detail here https://chaser.com.au/national/tasma...UcbXeCxvpwbQ2k
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 01:01   #804
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the boat, somewhere in Australia.
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,678
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
More breaking Covid news in Oz and a further interruption to the Sydney to Hobart race. It is going to get a whole lot tougher to sail to Hobart in the future and the old course will seem like a walk in the park compared to the new course.



Remember you first heard about this on CF.



More detail here https://chaser.com.au/national/tasma...UcbXeCxvpwbQ2k


This might explain the difficultly Iíve experienced in getting north this month.
__________________
On my way at last.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 01:25   #805
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 12,967
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
This might explain the difficultly Iíve experienced in getting north this month.

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 01:38   #806
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body back in Oz, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 6,676
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
This might explain the difficultly Iíve experienced in getting north this month.
Well, you know what they say - 'nothing goes to windward like a 737'

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 01:46   #807
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body back in Oz, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 6,676
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Speaking of which- Qantas today said they will start flying international again in mid- December -
https://www.traveller.com.au/qantas-...t-first-h1yln7

No mention of Santiago - oh well
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 14:50   #808
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Melbourne
Boat: Van De Stadt Caribbean 40
Posts: 162
Images: 1
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

It just never rains it always comes down in buckets.
We just had the debate about the vaccine and the embedded microchips and it looks as if they have been switched on for the first time.
For decades we had the debate about nuclear in Australia and it never went any further than that because of public sentiment , now they switched the chips on and well , this morning we heard that we will now build our own nuclear subs in Adelaide. God help us all on the water if that really happens , the Collins class subs where a clear sign of a disaster.
So lets see what the micro chips can do to overturn other topics in the public.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 04:02   #809
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body back in Oz, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 6,676
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Nuclear subs built in Adelaide?
Thats up there with the Argentines converting their diesel electric subs to nuclear - true story ---

Anyway - never going to happen in our lifetimes but the anouncement has served its purpose - pissing orf the CCP.

Meanwhile one for both UFO and Ray

'West Australian Police hunting for a wheelchair using amputee who stole hair dye from a pharmacy arrested a 51-year-old woman with both her legs and severe arthritis in a case of mistaken identity.'
https://www.theage.com.au/national/w...15-p58ry6.html
Maybe best we keep the border closed so they - the sandgropers- can't get out.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 04:43   #810
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 43,249
Images: 241
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
... For decades we had the debate about nuclear in Australia and it never went any further than that because of public sentiment , now they switched the chips on and well , this morning we heard that we will now build our own nuclear subs in Adelaide. God help us all on the water if that really happens ...
France has accused US President Joe Biden of acting like his predecessor, Donald Trump, after Paris was pushed aside, from a lucrative defence deal that it had signed with Australia.

Foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian’s comments on Thursday came a day after the United States, United Kingdom and Australia announced they would establish a security partnership for the Indo-Pacific that will help Australia acquire US nuclear-powered [not nuc' armed] submarines.

More ➥
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...submarine-deal
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Australia

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reality of switching to making a living as a tradesman on sailboats? fschaefer4 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 61 17-12-2020 15:27
Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ? JDRichlen Liveaboard's Forum 47 28-03-2012 06:08
Can you give me a REALITY check on living aboard? floathome Liveaboard's Forum 10 08-08-2008 04:22

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.