Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2022, 00:20   #2461

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I think it quite funny, not funny really. All passengers packed in like sardines, all wearing a mask, and then the food trolley comes around, or with coffee and tea, and all masks are removed at nearly the same time. ??? This negates completely the need of mask wearing. I was on three flights this week, I did not take my mask off.
Airlines could save some money here by not offering food and drinks: "for covid safety reasons". Or if someone wanted a drink, offer a straw. Bummer that is also banned, so we might be better off with covid

As a side issue, a few years ago I could fly from west to east for $200 to $250 return flight. Now they charge $1200 one way !!! And the plane is still full. Have wages gone up? Price of fuel?
I suppose there are fewer planes in the sky that can contribute to the bottom line, so the few planes there are..... the airlines are milking them for every dollar.
Different world with American Airlines - 2 x 7 hour internal flights + 2 x 4 hour international = 1 cup coffee, 3 glasses water and a can of coke.
Buggered if I know what the budget operations are like.
Interesting re masks... 24 or so hours in I took myself to a deserted corner of a deserted lounge in LA and sat down watching the planes come and the planes go and opened a bottle of water and hoofed into a couple of cereal bars. Finished them and put mind in neutral ... minutes later tap on shoulder ' sir, please put your mask on'.
Meanwhile in the next life I am going to drive one of those little Tugs that haul the cargo containers and the baggage trolleys - they have such a fun time.
Old 29-01-2022, 01:08   #2462

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

...unlike the tugs in the Mersey, here in TAS.

Ann
Old 29-01-2022, 01:16   #2463

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
Dumb place to park them.. if it can happen it will
Old 29-01-2022, 01:35   #2464

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
it is a place where the people put their trust in a government that should not be trusted
100 percent agree The virus will never go away and it will mutate the every flu during flu season. The Gov’t will continue to use this for “control” as much as possible.
Old 29-01-2022, 02:17   #2465

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

We’re going up that river in a couple of weeks! What about the tugs on the Mersey? We’re anxiously watching out for drop bears already - are rogue tugs the next danger?
Old 29-01-2022, 02:31   #2466

Boat: Other peoples

I was on the river today, should all be fine. This morning the water was diesel covered and smelly but this afternoon after the low tide it wasn't that bad.
The tugs serve Devonport, Burnie and George Town. They are currently sitting on the bottom.

Old 29-01-2022, 03:07   #2467

Svitzer will be rubbing their hands together; they've been looking for a way into Tas for years Lol.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 29-01-2022, 03:30   #2468
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One thing is for sure.. the 2022 Aussie Open has been devalued and whoever wins will achieve a hollow victory as the question will hang over the remainder of their career..
Would they have won if Novak had not been used as a political tool for a politicians future.
So much for the West's vaunted 'Politics and Sport should not be mixed'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Maybe but if Ash Barty takes the title, not many Aussie's will give a second thought about the boys on the other court.

Well Ash did take the AO title in straight sets 6-3 7-6 and as I predicted, no one downunder can even recall who Novo was.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/aust...a-1b9177a5632d
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-01-2022, 04:14   #2469
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well Ash did take the AO title in straight sets 6-3 7-6 and as I predicted, no one downunder can even recall who Novo was.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/aust...a-1b9177a5632d
Damn.. I knew Novo has not had the vaccines but I didn't know he'd gone Trans as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-01-2022, 12:06   #2470

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Dumb place to park them.. if it can happen it will

Said like a true ship driver.
Old 29-01-2022, 12:10   #2471

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@fxykty,

They are on the bottom, at "Berth 4" alongside a commercial wharf. Your boat will not run afoul of them, they have oil spill booms around them to catch the fluids spill. Go in in daylight, and the mark one eyeball will see you clear.

Ann
Old 29-01-2022, 12:22   #2472

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.. I knew Novo has not had the vaccines but I didn't know he'd gone Trans as well..
Who?

Oh - the bloke with the dodgy paperwork -
https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...bab1668034b347
Old 29-01-2022, 12:27   #2473

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We’re going up that river in a couple of weeks! What about the tugs on the Mersey? We’re anxiously watching out for drop bears already - are rogue tugs the next danger?
No, rogue cement carriers are the danger.
Old 29-01-2022, 15:41   #2474

Boat: Outremer 55L
The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

I saw my first Australian snake the other day near Macquarie Harbour (on the Bird River Trail near East Pillinger). I’m not sure but I think I was more scared than the snake - my wife says I jumped well clear of the ground and squealed. It was about 2m long, 10cm in diameter, black with dense white spots. We disturbed its afternoon sunning and it quickly took off into the bush.

Thereafter my head was on a swivel - up into the trees to look out for drop bears and down onto the ground to look out for snakes. No joy seeing either for the rest of the walk.

On a geographically related note, we saw only a few yachts in Port Davey/Bathurst Channel (perhaps up to 10) over the week and a half we were there, and only 1 (plus two Victorian fishing boats on extended holiday mode) in Macquarie Harbour and a week up the Gordon River. This while experiencing only 4 rainy/windy days in the three weeks since we rounded SW Cape. Don’t locals cruise these amazing areas?

I can’t imagine how the 50+ boats of the VDL Circumnavigation fleet will fit in these areas. Maybe 5 boats at a time up the Gordon for a day each or to visit Clayton’s Cottage? I’m glad that we’ll only cross paths once with them somewhere on the north coast.

COVID-related: on King Island some of the tourist venues (such as the King Island Dairy’s Cheese Tasting Room) are closed since 5 Omicron cases were found on the island. Sigh
Old 29-01-2022, 16:12   #2475
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I saw my first Australian snake the other day near Macquarie Harbour (on the Bird River Trail near East Pillinger). I’m not sure but I think I was more scared than the snake - my wife says I jumped well clear of the ground and squealed. It was about 2m long, 10cm in diameter, black with dense white spots. We disturbed its afternoon sunning and it quickly took off into the bush.

Thereafter my head was on a swivel - up into the trees to look out for drop bears and down onto the ground to look out for snakes. No joy seeing either for the rest of the walk.

At that diameter, most likely a Tiger but it doesn't matter, all three Tassie snakes are very venomous and treatment is identical for all of them.

Most important rule - keep still, very very still if bitten. Once in the body, poison of Tasmanian snakes flows through the lymphatic system (just under the skin), not the blood vessels. Lymphatic fluid only moves when muscles contact and release. No muscle movement, no lymphatic fluid movement. Have someone apply a compression bandage and immobilise the bitten limb. Don't move, have help come to you even by helicopter if necessary. Hard to do if solo! Everywhere in Tassie has phone or PLB contact, don't leave home with one (both if necessary).

More here
https://nre.tas.gov.au/wildlife-mana...ng-with-snakes
https://nre.tas.gov.au/wildlife-mana...es/tiger-snake
https://nre.tas.gov.au/wildlife-mana...pperhead-snake
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

Tags
Australia