Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 15:39   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
The COVID influence on Future Cruising

The huge uncertainty on how this pandemic will play out is taking a hard psychological toll on everyone as concerns of a flare up, or a new one are discussed.

Cruisers on international voyages are facing interesting psychological challenges in mapping out their future plans

We rely on seasonal weather windows to make passages, yet that requires open borders to plan ahead.

We depend on reliable supply chains to maintain our sophisticated boats and the ability to get to and from remote locations by air.

We now have the added concern about the health and safety of our families back home.

We normally avoid going to places of social unrest or uncertainty where martial law can be imposed on a local level. But could this be the new norm?

As foreign cruising tourists, we will have less rights and international support as the world focusses on economic trade wars, superpower conflicts and the social disasters of a frustrated population turning towards mob rule.

Our goal was to expand our horizons, not be forced into uncertain containment in a strange land....
....yet we find ourselves at this pivotal moment in global history.

How is all of this affecting your plans?

Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 26-06-2020, 16:05   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: The COVID influence on Future Cruising

For me, it has has a rather catastrophic and immediate impact. I've lost my whole season. I can't get to my boat, even though it's in my own country (Canada -- Newfoundland). I know this restriction can't go on forever, and they've said they may open the island to us "come from aways" in a few weeks, but by then it will be too late for this season.

Looking out beyond the immediate, I suspect this Covid apocalypse will accelerate the trend of more people staying closer to home. I think Jimmy Cornell mentions this in his latest tallying of the global cruising community where he writes: "the popularity of long distance voyages may have peaked in 2010."

https://cornellsailing.com/2017/08/j...-the-boats-go/

Old 26-06-2020, 16:12   #3

We had been out for 8 years this time around and started in the Mediterranean and eventually over to the Eastern Caribbean and then to the Western Caribbean.
We just very recently sailed our boat to the Chesapeake Bay and are calling it quits until this virus thingy is behind us.
Its impossible to cruise in this new environment or at least cruise the way we want to or have become accustomed to so the boat sits on the hard and we have returned home.
If this drags on too long it just might be the end of our cruising. Life is like that, one moment your fat dumb and happy and the next moment everything changes....
robert sailor is offline   Reply
Old 26-06-2020, 18:48   #4

On the other hand, for those able and willing to resume or start cruising, the quieter marinas and towns are an excellent opportunity.

A month or two ago, a Dane with a vessel of British registry lamented that the Med may never open up this summer. WRONG.

For example, YouTube channel Sailing Fair Isle have resumed the waters of Spain. Greece is sailing.
Orson is offline   Reply
Old 26-06-2020, 19:22   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We were close to “home” and went back to our residence nation.
I don’t know where it’s going, but I’m by nature a pessimist, so my advice would be to get to somewhere that you think would be a good place to stay, and sort of put down roots until the dust settles.
For those expats that have put down roots, maybe staying is better than trying to repatriate, that’s a decision they have to make.
But I don’t think I’d be setting off to the great unknown, not now.
I’d like to believe it’s the beginning of the end, but really don’t have a clue.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 26-06-2020, 19:35   #6

I saw on the National News that it's all BS propaganda to control the population, again. And that it'll pass just like every other Giant Dramatic news story has done for decades.
I can't wait for the next one.
Will my taxes keep going up?
fox9988 is offline   Reply
Old 26-06-2020, 20:01   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox9988 View Post
I saw on the National News that it's all BS propaganda to control the population, again. And that it'll pass just like every other Giant Dramatic news story has done for decades.
I can't wait for the next one.
Will my taxes keep going up?

I think you better start watching a better quality news program. Preferably one with real news .
Old 26-06-2020, 20:02   #8

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

I should have kept track of the number of failed plans we've had for this year

We're finally allowed to start cruising in the UK on the 4th. But instead of hanging around, we planned to sail to mainland Europe to get in before any doors could potentially slam shut again. We were so close
News broke a few hours ago that those of us with US passports are not going to be allowed into Europe any time soon.

Our visa free 6 months in the UK is soon coming to an end. If they won't allow us to stay without residency, we'll have to put the boat on the hard and fly back to the US and couchsurf until next spring. Anyone have a boat that needs sitting?

At least we have our health

Matt
Old 26-06-2020, 20:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think if i were in florida and the virus is burning through the population like a wild fire,sitting on my boat at anchor,self contained with 3-4 months worth of food onboard would look like a pretty good option ,if i was in one of those medical high risk groups!
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 26-06-2020, 22:16   #10

I'd like to offer an alternative perspective to those affected. Before I do, I'll declare that my 2020 plans are also in disarray - my boat is on the hard in Spain and I'm high and dry back home in NZ. My April flights to get me back to the boat have been refunded and I have no idea when I will be able to reinstate them. I'm worried that I didn't properly decommission the boat before leaving as I had no idea it would be for such an extended time. I'm not complaining too much though and this is where my alternative thinking takes over:
I'm healthy. I haven't lost any loved ones to Covid related illness, though I do know of a few unlucky ones, once or twice removed. I have a roof over my head and I have food in my belly each day. I'm not stuck on my boat between countries feeling spurned and unwanted. I look out the window everyday at the beautiful Waitemata harbour and cruising grounds that surround Auckland and I lament that the closest I can get to them right now is on a ferry. I'm seeing a rise across the world, in authoritarianism (totalitarianism??) - something I detest with a passion. I dream every day of my plans for crossing the Atlantic this coming season for the start of my long passage home, but I know it's only 50/50 as to whether or not I will. In short, I'm missing out on a lot of sailing adventures and the world as I have known it is shifting beneath my feet. There are many others far worse off than me.
But I've been around the block a few times and I've seen enough recessions, political upheavals, terrorist acts and so on and so on to know that my time for fun will come again. It might be different than before and I might have to change my plans but I know for certain that one day soon I will have another chance to live my dreams. Or shape new ones. So my message, if it's not already clear, is that we should be thankful for what we have and be hopeful for what is to come again, if we just wait it out patiently and rise to the challenges that change presents to us.
Kia Kaha (Google will translate for you)
Timlich is offline   Reply
Old 27-06-2020, 00:28   #11

Boat: 50’ performance cruising cat, 50’ Gulfstar (under contract)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think if i were in florida and the virus is burning through the population like a wild fire,sitting on my boat at anchor,self contained with 3-4 months worth of food onboard would look like a pretty good option ,if i was in one of those medical high risk groups!
Precisely what I did. Corona-what?
Chotu is offline   Reply
Old 27-06-2020, 05:49   #12

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I think you'd be better off in a house. Choose your time to go to the grocery store (we go early to avoid crowds). Some stores have senior-only hours. Go sailing to get away. Rides bikes for exercise. I love sailing and we cruise the Bahamas for months every other year, but the idea of being truly confined to a boat for 3-4 months would be a nightmare. No fresh food, no exercise - other than swimming? Read the accounts of people that were in Bahamas when they shut down. No going ashore, no fresh food, .... i dont remember any of them saying how great it was.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply
Old 27-06-2020, 06:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlich View Post
I'd like to offer an alternative perspective to those affected. Before I do, I'll declare that my 2020 plans are also in disarray - my boat is on the hard in Spain and I'm high and dry back home in NZ. My April flights to get me back to the boat have been refunded and I have no idea when I will be able to reinstate them. I'm worried that I didn't properly decommission the boat before leaving as I had no idea it would be for such an extended time. I'm not complaining too much though and this is where my alternative thinking takes over:
I'm healthy. I haven't lost any loved ones to Covid related illness, though I do know of a few unlucky ones, once or twice removed. I have a roof over my head and I have food in my belly each day. I'm not stuck on my boat between countries feeling spurned and unwanted. I look out the window everyday at the beautiful Waitemata harbour and cruising grounds that surround Auckland and I lament that the closest I can get to them right now is on a ferry. I'm seeing a rise across the world, in authoritarianism (totalitarianism??) - something I detest with a passion. I dream every day of my plans for crossing the Atlantic this coming season for the start of my long passage home, but I know it's only 50/50 as to whether or not I will. In short, I'm missing out on a lot of sailing adventures and the world as I have known it is shifting beneath my feet. There are many others far worse off than me.
But I've been around the block a few times and I've seen enough recessions, political upheavals, terrorist acts and so on and so on to know that my time for fun will come again. It might be different than before and I might have to change my plans but I know for certain that one day soon I will have another chance to live my dreams. Or shape new ones. So my message, if it's not already clear, is that we should be thankful for what we have and be hopeful for what is to come again, if we just wait it out patiently and rise to the challenges that change presents to us.
Kia Kaha (Google will translate for you)

Only time will time .

Travel and tourism are economically significant

I suspect more documentation...testing and port authority paperwork

Bring plenty of cash
slug is offline   Reply
Old 27-06-2020, 06:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think you better start watching a better quality news program. Preferably one with real news .
Pardon my sarcasm, I didn't actually hear it on the news.

Real news? I honestly don't think that comes from the media. There's no profit in keeping the population informed, quite the contrary.
I look for the money trail. To understand a problem, I don't focus on who suffers from it. I focus on who profits from it.
30 seconds of Super Bowl air time was 5.25 million USD last year. Imagine what the national/world spotlight is worth for a day, a week, etc.
The ultra rich get richer. My taxes keep going up. The poor suffer. Nothing new there, just a new level of corruption.
fox9988 is offline   Reply
Old 27-06-2020, 07:19   #15

Boat: mastercraft xstar 24'

This too shall pass. We went from boat shopping in Düsseldorf and planning our summer sailing in Norway to full on lockdown in only a few weeks. None of us had any idea the impact could be this dramatic (okay I’m sure there were a few). But as we sit here today we are relieved to have a beautiful home over looking the water that we can kayak, surf, fish, float, play at the sandbar, all while social distancing and letting this blow over. I am worried though that this could have a long term impact on what cruising looks like in the future.

We may not ever travel with the ease as before at least not for the next decade or so. We may be forced into hoping on a plane to go visit places because it is beyond tedious to sail the world as we’ve known it. Of course there will still be local cruising stuff to do and that’s still a blast, but not the same as pulling into a distant anchorage you’ve never seen before and different than anything you know. Lesson learned not to delay if it’s something you want to do. Until then, we will open another bottle of wine sit on the swing and smoke another batch of ribs this evening as we witness another perfect sunset. Life isn’t all that bad and we are thankful for our health and this time we get to become even closer as a family.

ol1970 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, enc