Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 19:02   #1

Sequelae to Tropical Illnesses

Hello; This is the first posting I’ve ever made through this website. I found a link to this group when I was looking for information on the Cook Islands.
If you don’t want to rely, no worries. I just want to know if anyone has experienced what I did.
In the mid 90’s I spent 3 weeks in Rarotonga. It was in February and the temps. never were below 105 degrees!
Brutal! The islanders were fantastic & even though it was very hot, I enjoyed it. The day I was suppose to fly out I went snorkeling and later on in the early evening I became violently ill! I had vomiting, shakiness, sweats, cramps, and could not walk due to my body bent over in cramps. The hotel mgr. took me to the hospital where I was given a couple of shots & told to get me home ASAP. I have never been so sick.
I returned home feeling very bad but better than the onset.
However, one morning I went to get up & rolled over to do so & I had terrible dizziness. Eventually I got a bit better.
Now, 20 years later I’m still dealing with dizziness. It comes & goes. I have been to so many doctors but nothing to help alleviate the dizziness. I take meclazine when the dizziness is terrible. The dizziness is only when I move my head but it can be in bed & wakes me up. My right ear has always felt full & sometimes I can clear it a little bit but I can tell I don’t hear as well on that side as I do on the left.
A dr. told me that it appears I either got bit or contracted a virus that settled in my vestibular nerve.
Has anyone ever heard of a virus or sickness that gives the person residual dizziness? I’m thankful the dizziness isn’t everyday. It’s when it returns that it’s lasting longer or so it seems.
Again, if this isn’t a forum to discuss this, I apologize profusely. Thank you for listening.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:39   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karile27 View Post

(...)

A dr. told me that it appears I either got bit or contracted a virus that settled in my vestibular nerve. Has anyone ever heard of a virus or sickness that gives the person residual dizziness?

(...)

I my case:

2014, Martinique, contracted Chikungunya (viral, vector mosquito, similar to dengue, zika, etc.) - year 2020 here I am with joints damage and (very bad at times) arthritis. Permanent damage.

2019 , Canary Islands, contracted virus X (pre covid-?), results: pneumonia & bronchitis, year 2020 sees me with chronic bronchitis + occasional nausea (possible result of - oxygen deprivation).

I know I have not replied to your exact concern, but I want you to know that viral infections can leave long term and permanent damage in our bodies, damage that cannot get fixed and only somewhat improved (with medication, if you are willing to accept side effects of such medication).

Viral long term problems with nerves is one such case.

Take care & stay safe,
barnakiel
Old 04-10-2020, 07:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karile27 View Post
Hello; This is the first posting I’ve ever made through this website. I found a link to this group when I was looking for information on the Cook Islands.
If you don’t want to rely, no worries. I just want to know if anyone has experienced what I did.
In the mid 90’s I spent 3 weeks in Rarotonga. It was in February and the temps. never were below 105 degrees!
Brutal! The islanders were fantastic & even though it was very hot, I enjoyed it. The day I was suppose to fly out I went snorkeling and later on in the early evening I became violently ill! I had vomiting, shakiness, sweats, cramps, and could not walk due to my body bent over in cramps. The hotel mgr. took me to the hospital where I was given a couple of shots & told to get me home ASAP. I have never been so sick.
I returned home feeling very bad but better than the onset.
However, one morning I went to get up & rolled over to do so & I had terrible dizziness. Eventually I got a bit better.
Now, 20 years later I’m still dealing with dizziness. It comes & goes. I have been to so many doctors but nothing to help alleviate the dizziness. I take meclazine when the dizziness is terrible. The dizziness is only when I move my head but it can be in bed & wakes me up. My right ear has always felt full & sometimes I can clear it a little bit but I can tell I don’t hear as well on that side as I do on the left.
A dr. told me that it appears I either got bit or contracted a virus that settled in my vestibular nerve.
Has anyone ever heard of a virus or sickness that gives the person residual dizziness? I’m thankful the dizziness isn’t everyday. It’s when it returns that it’s lasting longer or so it seems.
Again, if this isn’t a forum to discuss this, I apologize profusely. Thank you for listening.
cigutera poisoning has some of these symptoms,
from eating infected reef fish,and can remain in your system for many years as a toxin