Old 31-07-2020, 10:53   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

All is lost.

b.
Old 31-07-2020, 10:59   #47

Boat: 1983 Cape Dory Cutter 30'

I love the world, and TV-based fear, plus its followers, will not ruin it for me.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:07   #48

I think what he is trying to say is "embrace Covid-19 because it makes you ready for Covid-20 and beyond !"

I like the picture that accompanies the stunt though.

b.
Old 31-07-2020, 12:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Not too many worries if they're all singlehanders; or, if they're all one family, and they isolate at anchor. It's when one mixes with a lot of people, who have contact with children that one is most at risk. Risk can be somewhat limited by mask wearing, because it gives others some protection if the one wearing the mask is non-symptomatic, but infectious.

Ann
Ann can you point to any science that shows contact with kids increases risk? As a scientist on the front lines in hospitals managing with this disease, I am yet to see any science suggesting contact with children increases risk much at all.
Old 31-07-2020, 12:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
Ann can you point to any science that shows contact with kids increases risk? As a scientist on the front lines in hospitals managing with this disease, I am yet to see any science suggesting contact with children increases risk much at all.

Unlike older adults, kids have been found to go thru it asymptomaticaly. So you have a ticking virus bomb in each family, except you cannot hear the ticking.

For 'asymptomaticaly' does not mean they are not spreaders. They are as much spreaders as anybody else who has it. Perhaps a bit more than an adult person (as I try to explain below).

Perhaps as a scientist you have failed to notice how the little gnats will go everywhere, touch everything, then start the exercise over again.

They will also fail to keep the recommended social distance 99% of the time.

They will also run to kiss and hug their grandpa and grandma before you are able to warn them (your parents).

Close contact with ANYBODY is risky and it is all but vain to try and avoid having close contact with your kids. Let alone what UNICEF and any child psychologist will tell you about failing to provide physical closeness to your children.

Science started as observing the world around us. Too bad we are now ages away from where it all started.

barnakiel
Old 31-07-2020, 13:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Unlike older adults, kids have been found to go thru it asymptomaticaly. So you have a ticking virus bomb in each family, except you cannot hear the ticking.

For 'asymptomaticaly' does not mean they are not spreaders. They are as much spreaders as anybody else who has it. Perhaps a bit more than an adult person (as I try to explain below).

Perhaps as a scientist you have failed to notice how the little gnats will go everywhere, touch everything, then start the exercise over again.

They will also run to kiss and hug their grandpa and grandma before you are able to warn them (your parents).

Close contact with ANYBODY is risky and it is all but vain to try and avoid having close contact with your kids. Let alone what UNICEF and any child psychologist will tell you about failing to provide physical closeness to your children.

Science started as observing the world around us. Too bad we are now ages away from where it all started.

barnakiel
OF COURSE, being aymptomatic doesn't automatically make you a non-spreader. But the DATA suggest that kids do NOT spread CV to any significant degree, nor has there been any teacher in the entire world infected by their students.
Old 31-07-2020, 13:41   #52

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:

barnakiel
It’s spread through respiratory droplets (coughing or sneezing or swapping spit with someone), there is zero credible info saying otherwise, if someone has poorly behaved kids who can’t follow simple directions they should not be bringing them around very frail people in the first place, just like if you have a dog that is aggressive and jumps on people, you don’t bring it into a nursing home or med surg floor.
Old 31-07-2020, 13:45   #53

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
I love the world, and TV-based fear, plus its followers, will not ruin it for me.
You are right!

What to fear man? It's all a hoax and media based fear isn't it?

Such a hoax that all the countries in the World and all the scientists believed it and shut down their economies and lost in the tune of billions.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:24   #54

Just that. The world has changed I do not feel it will be the same again. Yesterday A woman outside the grocery store was tearing into a guy not wearing a mask in the store, yet she had taken hers off and was closer than 6 feet. The world has changed. Walking in park with wife no one around for least a 100 yards, guy drives by shaking a mask at us point shaking his finger. It has changed most have just lost their mind.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:37   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanseven View Post
Did Karen post something? Can't see that user name here.
Naah.. He's just using the latest Woke insult...
Probably is totally unaware of what a Karen actually is..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Karen-Hill-tribe-Blog_900_1303-min.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	220426  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 31-07-2020, 15:06   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
648,445 deaths,so far and 8000 deaths per day with over a million new cases added every 3 days and rising would be fear mongering if it were not factual.

not sure what point you were trying to make other than trying to dispute that their is a real problem that will sooner or later have an impact on everybodies lives
Thats 0.6% of the world population..
Considering 130million babies are born a year I don't think the human race is in danger..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 31-07-2020, 15:17   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
OF COURSE, being aymptomatic doesn't automatically make you a non-spreader. But the DATA suggest that kids do NOT spread CV to any significant degree, nor has there been any teacher in the entire world infected by their students.
Yes there has.
Back in April
https://abc7ny.com/teacher-deaths-by-covid-19-teachers-killed-coronavirus-department-of-education-nyc/6133083/<br>

And
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/teacher-dies-of-covid-19-after-sharing-room-with-colleagues/ar-BB16GyUP

Covid spread is well documented in schools that have opened. True there is data on both sides, but transmission from children to adults is missing because most countries did close schools early. It seems as though children are not as susceptible to severe illness, although not all escape. And it seems they carry and shed the virus (infect others) at the same rate as adults. And it seems that any country after opening schools seems to have an equal amount of closure due to spread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

And because of the exponential growth of multi generational family's in the US this posses grave risks to other family members. Plus little has been mentioned of school bus drivers (children exposed to mass transit) or other school faculty to include cafeteria workers and facilities support.
Old 31-07-2020, 15:24   #58

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
I can’t work out if you are a troll or just a drongo.
Old 31-07-2020, 16:32   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post

(...)

if someone has poorly behaved kids who can’t follow simple directions they should not be bringing them around very frail people

(...)

This would indeed be super nice if people who have children could, in any reasonable way, (other than brute physical or mental threat) stop them from... being children.

Yes. This would truly please my heart. But as I am sitting here on this hard stone watching the world and thinking of what is actually going on, they can't (or much more often - they won't).

Btw those poorly behaved kids have the same genetic material as their parents. So let's not expect poorly behaved adults to suddenly start giving the world well behaved children.

Meanwhile a short piece of ACCO chain and the smallest Rocna anchor at their ankle could solve all the above mentioned real or imaginary challenges in one clean and seaman-like way!

barnakiel
Old 31-07-2020, 18:36   #60

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
This would indeed be super nice if people who have children could, in any reasonable way, (other than brute physical or mental threat) stop them from... being children.

Yes. This would truly please my heart. But as I am sitting here on this hard stone watching the world and thinking of what is actually going on, they can't (or much more often - they won't).

Btw those poorly behaved kids have the same genetic material as their parents. So let's not expect poorly behaved adults to suddenly start giving the world well behaved children.

Meanwhile a short piece of ACCO chain and the smallest Rocna anchor at their ankle could solve all the above mentioned real or imaginary challenges in one clean and seaman-like way!

barnakiel
There is a technological solution - issue everyone over 55 with a walking stick, telescoping, cattle prod.

Tags
sail, sailing