Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 14:55   #76
cruiser

Boat: 32’ Sloop
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I did not disagree with you,it seems from your numerous posts that you are trolling those that do not agree with your point of view that covid is no cause for alarm,and we should just carry on regardless without a thought for those that might die .
I did not mean to “troll”, but people are going to die, no one makes it out of life alive, very old people and people who are already close to death die from all sorts of things that wouldn’t hurt the average person, from the seasonal flu to what would seem like a very small slip and fall.
It’s sad, but we are not gods and we are not going to stop the natural course of things.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 15:35   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
I did not mean to “troll”, but people are going to die, no one makes it out of life alive, very old people and people who are already close to death die from all sorts of things that wouldn’t hurt the average person, from the seasonal flu to what would seem like a very small slip and fall.
It’s sad, but we are not gods and we are not going to stop the natural course of things.
we are not gods and disease is natural,BUT there are things that all humans can do to slow the spread,and with a bit of ingenuity that humans are so good at this can buy time to adapt and mitigate uncontrolled spread whilst we develop stratagies and theraputics to live and potentially overcome the worst effects but this requires direction and effort in a sea of misdirection and apathy to change.

looks like we are screwed untill kids and young adults become less tolerant to the disease and death becomes more common among the young,but by then it might be too late and will wish we had done more in the early stages.

time will tell,history will record and man will as usual continue to repeat mistakes that were made in the past ,living in the moment
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 15:59   #78
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Well Sweden did not lock down and carried on as normal.. Total cases 85,000, deaths 5700..
Seems Lockdowns just stall the virus instead of letting it flow through quickly and achieving herd immunity.
As soon as lockdowns end it gears up again to infect the uninfected starting a fresh panic.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 16:22   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well Sweden did not lock down and carried on as normal.. Total cases 85,000, deaths 5700..
Seems Lockdowns just stall the virus instead of letting it flow through quickly and achieving herd immunity.
As soon as lockdowns end it gears up again to infect the uninfected starting a fresh panic.
there is no way 70-80% of sweeds have been infected,sweden may not have enforced lockdown,but many exercised social distancing and avoided unneeded contact and non essential travel as well as isolating care homes and the elderly effectively controlling the spread plus their demographic helped and it was winter so many stayed indoors,it is summer now and cases are raising,just like the rest of europe.
Old 02-08-2020, 16:30   #80
cruiser

Quote:

That.

However I think the idea that we really changed anything wearing a flap of fabric over our faces and following a line on the floor at a market, I think that’s hubris of a high level, right up there with using a paper straw allows ones to change the weather.

Which is good and bad, I think since this thing is going to run it’s course anyways, even more so than the yearly flu that we can’t even manage to really stop even with vaccines, when things open up I don’t think there will be much of a honest surge, I’m sure the TV will hype it up, “if it bleeds it leads” and all, but in the big and historic picture we never had much of a first wave ether.
Old 02-08-2020, 17:48   #81

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Do you have a link to non China or WHO scientific data in non coughing/sneezing people spreading this?

The yearly flu shot, which is related to this virus, is no where near 100% effective

The chance of death from the corona virus is remote for people who are not already half in the grave, from my reading the major issue with this virus is how virulent it is, thankfully it’s far from deadly overall. Based upon this most in my office have concluded we ether already had it, or will get it and it won’t be that big of a deal, most of the people who it killed could not walk up our staircase and would have no hope of passing our yearly, or bi yearly, when they forget to schedule, physicals.

I think most should adopt this mindset, you’re going to get it, however you have a remote fraction of chance of death, WHEN you get it, act like a civil adult and just like always stay home until you are better, just as you should have always done when sick.
Well said..start busy living
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 17:52   #82
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
there is no way 70-80% of sweeds have been infected,sweden may not have enforced lockdown,but many exercised social distancing and avoided unneeded contact and non essential travel as well as isolating care homes and the elderly effectively controlling the spread plus their demographic helped and it was winter so many stayed indoors,it is summer now and cases are raising,just like the rest of europe.
Well Portugal has had around 55K cases and 1700 deaths since this thing kicked off.
Bars/restaurants and shops opened June 4th and masks are only worn indoors along with the distance rule.
Life is pretty much back to normal otherwise and on the news today they reported there have been no new Covid deaths or cases over the last 7 days.
Lisbon is the only hotspot if you can call it that where rates were high.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 18:40   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well Portugal has had around 55K cases and 1700 deaths since this thing kicked off.
Bars/restaurants and shops opened June 4th and masks are only worn indoors along with the distance rule.
Life is pretty much back to normal otherwise and on the news today they reported there have been no new Covid deaths or cases over the last 7 days.
Lisbon is the only hotspot if you can call it that where rates were high.
sweden had 330 new cases and 9 deaths today,about half what the 750 uk tested and confirmed cases ,untested cases were about 4500 from those that phoned in and self isolated,the virus has not gone away it is still out there and circulating.

it will come back as people become more relaxed,take less precautions,demographics play a big part in reducing the spread,uv kills it, wind disperses it,hand hygine reduces transmission etc,but none of these factors change the reality that given the right conditions this virus is still very transmissable between humans,and some animals,cats ,civets and mink .

children are just as able to spread it as adults,adults spread it up to 3 days before symptoms,it isn't over we just had some success mitigating the virus.

melborne is a classic case of what happens when public health drops its guard in a densely populated area.

there is no magic bullet at the moment other than distancing,hygine,and not spreading droplets/aerosols.
Old 02-08-2020, 21:29   #84

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch

Hello everyone, good little thread here.

Here is a little insight into this virus from rural Texas. First and foremost it's not that big of a deal UNTIL it is. Heard immunity is a dream, I know friends now that have had it 3 times in the medical community, each time worse than the last. It has been confirmed to mutate, and more than once in many circles.

We lost a perfectly healthy 76 yr old grand mother in our family just last month. She toughed it out for 20 days, on a vent for 10 days and then back off, then signed her own order not to go back on the vent. :-/. Just too tired to continue to fight.

She lived in a rural town in south east Texas, contracted it by going to a funeral where 22 ppl were present, 16 ppl contracted covid at that funeral, and ALL 16 had completely different symptoms, a 5 year old now suffers from arthritis in his back, a young teen nearly died, became one of the few to come off a vent, another young teen (athlete) developed a heart condition after 3 days of 103+ fever. 9 of the 16 had mild symptoms to near death symptoms. Three were hospitalized and only one died.

Don't be fooled by the death count, there are many, many that have ongoing symptoms; headaches, hard time regulating body temperature, arthritis, heart stuff, and so on.

My 18 yr old nephew, Division 1 baseball athlete, was hospitalized. Had fever 103+ for 5 days, they thought he had damaged his heart, also, but luckily it all looks good for now.

NO-ONE KNOWS..... LIKE NO-ONE. At first is wasn't as bad as the flu... Then that hushed up... then; "when it warmed up it would go away" , that didn't happen, The 6 feet or 1.5 meters has been around all the time, but it obviously doesn't work, thoroughly .

Three things here, those that don't socialized outside their immediate unit seem to be safe. (That seems very hard for everyone to do, though.. especially Americans.)

Without diving into some conspiracy, it has targeted American life style, habits, and/ or diet; and it has flourished. Take this all how ever you want, but I have seen people one day say this is very mild and nothing to worry about, then three days later come a 180, cause they lost someone very close.

So again, it's not that bad UNTIL it is, then it's the worst son of a gun anyone has every seen.

I will leave you with this.. Nanny lived 76 yrs on this earth, she was loved by two daughters, 10 grand children and 30+ great grand children. She was HEALTHY, lived alone, isolated for 2 months, and only went out one time; to her best friends funeral. (cancer) Her last 20 days on this earth were in a hospital, with three nurses assigned to her on shift work. Not one other soul got to visit with her... let that sink in..... Both her daughters ARE nurses, one in the same hospital that she was in. They could only watch through a window. Nanny waved bye to them from her bed, and they could only watch from 30 ft away on the other-side of glass. Her funeral was 10 minutes, with her two daughters, and a few grands kids. That's it... 76 yrs.

True it might not be that bad for many, but don't discount the few that it is the worst thing that they will ever face in their life. I hear this all too often, as if to rationalize it. "they were old, had health problems, were almost dead, were unhealthy"

This virus doesn't care, if it wants you.. it will punch your ticket, and you will be ALONE while it does it. :-/ So, might as well be alone with close family, work as a family to pay for everyone's needs. Work out a way to make it happen in as safe a way as possible. Good luck.
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:52   #85

Moderators may remove this thinking off topic. However, had to say something to those that keep rationalizing our current international crisis.

I am a ICU nurse. while it could have been handled much better, some actions were helpful, regardless, in preventing our health care system from being completely overrun.

From my Eastern Wa. state perspective, we are barely holding on. It’s not a wave here. we’ve been at it full on since March. 30 deaths in last 30 days in the icu alone (not documented covid but no elective surgeries, you do the math). Running out of gowns and PAPR masks/batteries this time around. Think of dedication, getting 8 workers to gown up and turn a 250 lb unconscious (sedated and limp) patient onto their tummy to hopefully get his/her oxygen saturations to improve. Don’t lose any of those lines that are keeping him sedated (or paralyzed sometimes), or the
ETT (the breathing tube).

Cool “wins”? convincing a larger regional hospital to bring a portable ECHMO....basically a heart bypass machine on wheels, and getting your patient to finally oxygenate their body.

I’m retiring in 2 days (actually nights...I’m a night shifter). Getting the hell out of here, go find me a proper yacht, self isolate.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:09   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskilmer View Post
Moderators may remove this thinking off topic. However, had to say something to those that keep rationalizing our current international crisis.

I am a ICU nurse. while it could have been handled much better, some actions were helpful, regardless, in preventing our health care system from being completely overrun.

From my Eastern Wa. state perspective, we are barely holding on. It’s not a wave here. we’ve been at it full on since March. 30 deaths in last 30 days in the icu alone (not documented covid but no elective surgeries, you do the math). Running out of gowns and PAPR masks/batteries this time around. Think of dedication, getting 8 workers to gown up and turn a 250 lb unconscious (sedated and limp) patient onto their tummy to hopefully get his/her oxygen saturations to improve. Don’t lose any of those lines that are keeping him sedated (or paralyzed sometimes), or the
ETT (the breathing tube).

Cool “wins”? convincing a larger regional hospital to bring a portable ECHMO....basically a heart bypass machine on wheels, and getting your patient to finally oxygenate their body.

I’m retiring in 2 days (actually nights...I’m a night shifter). Getting the hell out of here, go find me a proper yacht, self isolate.
So no co morbidity?

I’d also say 250lbs is not a lifestyle inline with a long life, COPD, diabetes, MI, stroke

Many of the places around me have been sending staff home because they don’t have the workload with the gov shutting them down for non covid
Old 03-08-2020, 03:00   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So no co morbidity?

I’d also say 250lbs is not a lifestyle inline with a long life, COPD, diabetes, MI, stroke

Many of the places around me have been sending staff home because they don’t have the workload with the gov shutting them down for non covid
250lbs fairly well describes McDonalds America, or 10% or more of the population.

that is potentially a huge death toll,considering the current infection rate estimated to be so far about 10-15% of the population,like 10 hiroshima's when all is done
Old 03-08-2020, 07:28   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

Here we go:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ustry-restarts

Meanwhile the ARC pushes on with their Covid-year ARC to take place. I am shocked.

We know there is trouble, we know it is dangerous, and yet commercial aspects take over health issues.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:01   #89

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

[QUOTE=IslandInfedel;3198905]Who said it was a hoax?

Think he clearly said people are fear mongering this virus well beyond its morality and morbidity abilities

Well a lot of people including some major news channel in the good old USA did.
Do you have a reason why scientists/governments are fear mongering and ruining their economies in the process? Does it make any sense to you if they don't believe and convinced this is real and very dangerous?
Reading your other posts about Covid-19 I think you are either uneducated about this virus or politically motivated.
No virus will wipe out human race and never did but there's something called evolution!
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:01   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We know there is trouble, we know it is dangerous, and yet commercial aspects take over health issues.

It's really quite simple. Some people value money over lives.
NaClyDog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing