Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 18:43   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,048
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There is a technological solution - issue everyone over 55 with a walking stick, telescoping, cattle prod.

+1!


Just .. lets make it 56 OK?


;-)


b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:48   #62
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
You are right!

What to fear man? It's all a hoax and media based fear isn't it?

Such a hoax that all the countries in the World and all the scientists believed it and shut down their economies and lost in the tune of billions.
Who said it was a hoax?

Think he clearly said people are fear mongering this virus well beyond its morality and morbidity abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
Just that. The world has changed I do not feel it will be the same again. Yesterday A woman outside the grocery store was tearing into a guy not wearing a mask in the store, yet she had taken hers off and was closer than 6 feet. The world has changed. Walking in park with wife no one around for least a 100 yards, guy drives by shaking a mask at us point shaking his finger. It has changed most have just lost their mind.
There is a vast amount of fun you could have with these people, I wish I had one of these encounters


Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This would indeed be super nice if people who have children could, in any reasonable way, (other than brute physical or mental threat) stop them from... being children.


Yes. This would truly please my heart. But as I am sitting here on this hard stone watching the world and thinking of what is actually going on, they can't (or much more often - they won't).


Btw those poorly behaved kids have the same genetic material as their parents. So let's not expect poorly behaved adults to suddenly start giving the world well behaved children.


Meanwhile a short piece of ACCO chain and the smallest Rocna anchor at their ankle could solve all the above mentioned real or imaginary challenges in one clean and seaman-like way!


barnakiel
There are vast differences between what is considered proper behavior with kids, and yes poor breeding is sadly is a problem.

IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:51   #63
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats 0.6% of the world population..
Considering 130 million babies are born a year I don't think the human race is in danger..
last time i checked i only had 2 children,but if for some reason suddenly each of my children started making 3 new copies of themselves every 5-7 days,that in turn made another 3 copies of each new copy ad infinitum,it would not take that many cycles before i have 130 million children.

most people have a hard time understanding "exponential" rather than linear increase,and why it is so important to reduce rates of infection and paths of transmission.

currently this virus will stop only when it runs out of people to infect with associated rates of mortality and also quite possibly become endemic in the global population
as humans ,climate change could be the least of our problems
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:54   #64
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 24,899
Images: 2
pirate Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats 0.6% of the world population..
Considering 130million babies are born a year I don't think the human race is in danger..
Sorry.. Boo Boo'd the math.. Its just 0.3%
Also it seems UK deaths have been misrepresented, all deaths have been listed Covid related.. ie, died with it not from it.. some say its really around 26000.
Stories now doing the rounds hospitals were not as stretched as reported with staff twiddling their thumbs while cancer cardiac and other ailments put on hold.
But MSM is pushing the high figures.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:02   #65
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Cape Canaveral
Boat: 35' sloop
Posts: 107
Angry Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
For the foreseeable future you would be wise to only use cardboard cutout crew

If you must take on real crew, for a passage or whatnot , follow the rules

Socially isolate the crew on deck , forward of the mast , for 14 days

14 days before the mast ...no compromise
14 days before the mast. In all the weather. Reminds me of the old British navy... they did mast heading too. Send a man aloft till he learned his lesson. Still better than being flogged.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:31   #66
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry.. Boo Boo'd the math.. Its just 0.3%
Also it seems UK deaths have been misrepresented, all deaths have been listed Covid related.. ie, died with it not from it.. some say its really around 26000.
Stories now doing the rounds hospitals were not as stretched as reported with staff twiddling their thumbs while cancer cardiac and other ailments put on hold.
But MSM is pushing the high figures.
regardless of the mortality rate,so far less than 2% of the world population has currently been infected,another 70- 98% to go assuming herd immunity is a thing,no more severe mutations and people can't get reinfected.

an early death either with or from covid is still an early unexpected death .many who die with or from c19 die in extreme distress, there are also many who survive that will have life changing ongoing health issues.

no matter how you look at it, the future does not look promising, the price raises, food riots,mass unemployment ,civil disorder that will come with progressive waves as governments lose control will be equally disturbing.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:47   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,048
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

14 days before the mast ... ;-)


Makes me think of the 14 days quarantine that awaits ARC cruisers this year in Sta Lucia ...


Hard to guess why the organizers push on with their imho irresponsible plan - until you wake up to the idea that the organizers are 'British navy' too !!!


Ha ha ha.


;-))))))
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:53   #68
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 24,899
Images: 2
pirate Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
regardless of the mortality rate,so far less than 2% of the world population has currently been infected,another 70- 98% to go assuming herd immunity is a thing,no more severe mutations and people can't get reinfected.

an early death either with or from covid is still an early unexpected death .many who die with or from c19 die in extreme distress, there are also many who survive that will have life changing ongoing health issues.

no matter how you look at it, the future does not look promising, the price raises, food riots,mass unemployment ,civil disorder that will come with progressive waves as governments lose control will be equally disturbing.
They've pretty much lost control already..
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:58   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Both the items you have described as good news are actully what make the virus so deadly. I am a health economist and have read all the literature that has come out on this virus, good and bogus as part of my job. The relatively low mortalality rate means it does not kill most of its host and the asymptomatic people means it spreads by stealth. If you compare it to the seasonal flu if you make the assumption that it will end up with the same mortality rate (it won't it will be higher but lets make that assumption for ease of calculation). If everyone was to behave without any social distancing and not wear a mask and just genterally behave like normal than the person with the seasonal flu might will infect the around 114 people (after 10 cycles about 20-30days) and there is a 72% probability that one of those 114 will die. With COVID in the same time period you will affect almost 54000 people and there is a 72% chance that 540 of those people will die and an 100% probability that at least 12 of those people will die (given the demographics of most societies), in tropical islands these mortality rates double.
kiwi_colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 13:13   #70
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
regardless of the mortality rate,so far less than 2% of the world population has currently been infected,another 70- 98% to go assuming herd immunity is a thing,no more severe mutations and people can't get reinfected.

an early death either with or from covid is still an early unexpected death .many who die with or from c19 die in extreme distress, there are also many who survive that will have life changing ongoing health issues.

no matter how you look at it, the future does not look promising, the price raises, food riots,mass unemployment ,civil disorder that will come with progressive waves as governments lose control will be equally disturbing.

I think the problem was governments assuming too much power to start with.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 13:35   #71
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_colin View Post
Both the items you have described as good news are actully what make the virus so deadly. I am a health economist and have read all the literature that has come out on this virus, good and bogus as part of my job. The relatively low mortalality rate means it does not kill most of its host and the asymptomatic people means it spreads by stealth. If you compare it to the seasonal flu if you make the assumption that it will end up with the same mortality rate (it won't it will be higher but lets make that assumption for ease of calculation). If everyone was to behave without any social distancing and not wear a mask and just genterally behave like normal than the person with the seasonal flu might will infect the around 114 people (after 10 cycles about 20-30days) and there is a 72% probability that one of those 114 will die. With COVID in the same time period you will affect almost 54000 people and there is a 72% chance that 540 of those people will die and an 100% probability that at least 12 of those people will die (given the demographics of most societies), in tropical islands these mortality rates double.
It’s spread via respiratory droplets, if one is not sneezing or coughing or licking people they arnt spreading it, how is that stealth?
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 14:05   #72
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
I think the problem was governments assuming too much power to start with.
More like flawed and ineffective use of power,ignoring public health intelligence and not responding quickly enough to a potential national and international bio-security threat of which similar have been well documented and not unexpected given recent history of previous pandemics.

This has been the case with numerous governments,not just the US,it also highlights the need for good public health and unrestricted national health care systems.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 14:12   #73
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
It’s spread via respiratory droplets, if one is not sneezing or coughing or licking people they arnt spreading it, how is that stealth?
you missed out trolling ,trolls can easily spread the virus just like any other asymptomatic carrier,without even knowing they have the virus or that they are a troll
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 14:20   #74
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
More like flawed and ineffective use of power,ignoring public health intelligence and not responding quickly enough to a potential national and international bio-security threat of which similar have been well documented and not unexpected given recent history of previous pandemics.

This has been the case with numerous governments,not just the US,it also highlights the need for good public health and unrestricted national health care systems.
The sales pitch based on failed models didn’t match the outcome.

I’m waiting for my millions dead, or at least to have someone who knows someone I know get very sick, something to make all the damage and misery make sense, but all I hear is “another 2 weeks” every 2 weeks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you missed out trolling ,trolls can easily spread the virus just like any other asymptomatic carrier,without even knowing they have the virus or that they are a troll
And saying something is so doesn’t make it so, be it calling people you disagree with a “troll” or saying the virus spreads in a way that has not been credibly proven over the 8 months this virus has been around.


Also even if I get it, so? For the majority who are already not half dead, it’s a really nasty flu or zero symptoms at all, It’s not like SARS, Ebola, hep C, rabies, or something very deadly


Best course of action is just live life like normal/before, wash your hands and stay home if you don’t feel well, just like before, and if you get it, you get it.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 14:44   #75
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
The sales pitch based on failed models didn’t match the outcome.

I’m waiting for my millions dead, or at least to have someone who knows someone I know get very sick, something to make all the damage and misery make sense, but all I hear is “another 2 weeks” every 2 weeks.




And saying something is so doesn’t make it so, be it calling people you disagree with a “troll” or saying the virus spreads in a way that has not been credibly proven over the 8 months this virus has been around.


Also even if I get it, so? For the majority who are already not half dead, it’s a really nasty flu or zero symptoms at all, It’s not like SARS, Ebola, hep C, rabies, or something very deadly


Best course of action is just live life like normal/before, wash your hands and stay home if you don’t feel well, just like before, and if you get it, you get it.
I did not disagree with you,it seems from your numerous posts that you are trolling those that do not agree with your point of view that covid is no cause for alarm,and we should just carry on regardless without a thought for those that might die .
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, sailing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sea of Cortez options in Covid 19 times NorthPacific COVID-19 | Containment Area 6 19-04-2020 06:44
Sailing Options / Times / Routes to / from Seattle to Mexico / Hawaii / Tahiti sundowner Pacific & South China Sea 8 09-04-2019 14:29
BVI Sailing Times jpfitzy7 Atlantic & the Caribbean 8 22-05-2014 16:14
Dragon Lady, Ruff Times and High Times skipgundlach General Sailing Forum 1 30-09-2008 09:13
January 1 – It was the best of times, it was the worst of times… skipgundlach General Sailing Forum 1 01-01-2008 06:50

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.