Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2020, 12:25   #1

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Recent US East Coast cruising experience

Lots of hot debate about Covid risk in numerous threads. I don't want to start another of those threads so please leave that off for elsewhere.

I just crewed on a delivery from Stuart, FL to Baltimore. I felt very safe (other than the air travel home) as I had a little exposure to others. We took a mostly ICW route with just one hop outside from Brunswick, GA to Cape Fear. The boat had good tankage so, even though we were trying to keep up a fast pace and mostly motored or motor-sailed, we didn't need to stop for fuel or water that often. With that said we had NO problem finding marinas open and willing to provide services. No problem either catching an Uber and going to the grocery store.

I am very curious what experiences others are having now on the East Coast. I'd like to get my boat back in the water and head north from FL in a couple weeks and cruise the US east coast this summer. My recent experience makes me think that, at least as far north as Maryland, things are pretty manageable so long as one is able to respect social distancing mandates.
Old 16-05-2020, 12:47   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Recent US East Coast cruising experience

I'm interested to learn of others' personal experiences, too. Otherwise, waterwayguide.com has compiled COVID-19-related information for different marinas in different states for official policies and protocols.
Old 16-05-2020, 12:55   #3

Things are opening back up, so I'd think next month will be even a lot easier than last month.
Old 16-05-2020, 13:15   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Things are opening back up, so I'd think next month will be even a lot easier than last month.
Exactly. Marinas have been given the green light to open even in NY.

The town docks and dinghy landing areas are opening up now as well.

We will see how long the 14 day quarantine rules last. Those are next to be eased. Sounds like you probably popped ashore and broke those on your delivery getting Ubers?

The Ubers were running just fine through the whole pandemic in my experience.
Old 16-05-2020, 13:22   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Sounds like you probably popped ashore and broke those on your delivery getting Ubers?
Perhaps, perhaps not. I certainly didn't read every state's rules along the way. Though, for example, Maryland's rules, while requiring a 14 day quarantine, don't prohibit you from going to buy groceries, etc., while "quarantined". Even getting off the boat and going for a run is OK while quarantined - exercise is an essential activity.

It seems "quarantined" isn't very different from what I've been doing at home when not quarantined as everything I'd perhaps be doing that is not "essential" is closed/unavailable anyway.
Old 16-05-2020, 13:43   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not. I certainly didn't read every state's rules along the way. Though, for example, Maryland's rules, while requiring a 14 day quarantine, don't prohibit you from going to buy groceries, etc., while "quarantined". Even getting off the boat and going for a run is OK while quarantined - exercise is an essential activity.

It seems "quarantined" isn't very different from what I've been doing at home when not quarantined as everything I'd perhaps be doing that is not "essential" is closed/unavailable anyway.
Yeah. This stuff is VERY confusing and varies from state to state and town to town. Horrible implementation.

Most states up north beyond the end of your trip require 14 days without leaving the boat currently. Enforced (or not) by the local harbormaster. Hopefully this will relax soon.
Old 17-05-2020, 08:49   #7

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

The green light to open doesn't imply it is safe to visit. Evaluate each stop as if your life depended on it - eat on board, carefully pump fuel - and you are likely to be OK. visit a local bar on the way for just a few beers - maybe not so safe.

The lack of universal standards, testing, tracing, and isolation puts us all at risk.
Old 17-05-2020, 10:17   #8

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The green light to open doesn't imply it is safe to visit. Evaluate each stop as if your life depended on it - eat on board, carefully pump fuel - and you are likely to be OK. visit a local bar on the way for just a few beers - maybe not so safe.

The lack of universal standards, testing, tracing, and isolation puts us all at risk.
That is correct. It is telling to remember that 'open' means there is room for you now in the ICU as the saying goes.

Jim sv GAIA
Old 17-05-2020, 11:55   #9

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

I just returned from the Bahamas up to Hudson river.
Left Nassau on March 23rd, arrived Catskills NY on May 11th.

Did a few offshore 24h-30h passages, but mostly all via the ICW, since we had a buddy boat that was single handed. Offshore overnight passages was too much for him.
We had no problem refueling and getting water all the way up.
Watewayguide has an extensive page, listing open/close marina:
https://www.waterwayguide.com/covid-19-reports

Only complain is that we limited our time on land to almost nothing. This was more delivering the boat than cruising.
The only time we had to discuss with the authorities was when we anchored at Coney Island near NY city for the night. Port authorities wanted to check if we had some intention to go on-shore.
Old 17-05-2020, 11:57   #10

Good grief.
Old 17-05-2020, 11:57   #11

Boat: Dufour 40

I am in Charleston at the moment. Dinghy dock at Municipal marina is open, Ubers running, no checks required.
Interested in further from Virginia and Maryland. Can anyone point me to official guidance? (U.K. flag, so will need to talk to homeland security, which means no short-cuts)
Old 17-05-2020, 12:25   #12
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Information regarding Maine collected in the last 7 days - subject to change.

Northeast Harbor MDI - I spoke with John LaMoine, the Northeast Harbormaster

We chatted about what NE will be looking like this summer. He said he was hoping that it would be normal but weird this summer. There will be PPE for the staff and office, and would like limited in-office visits. Moorings and dock space will be available as normal except calling in to register and pay by CC. There will be a launch running in the harbor to help mariners locate moorings, but there will be no passenger launch service.

Water and pumpout will be available. The Yachtsman's building is still in question as to what will be available. At the present time, the building is being used by the Fire Department 24/7. As learned from other sources, there will be no LL Bean free bus service this summer.

Belfast - Kathy - the Harbormaster said all open except not allowing tourists onto the docks.

Castine - some docks will be out, water/fuel available. May deliver groceries to the dock for you.

Rockland - Some town docks will be out. Limited number of boats. Pumpout yes, water yes. Other marinas in full operation.

Portland - Fully open except wait times for launch ramp may be increased due to spacing.

Camden - Harbormaster has put out information on their website.

14 day Quarintine upon arrival into Maine, but that may be relaxing in June.

Stay on the deep side of the buoys.

Thom
s/v Oriane
Rockland, ME
Old 17-05-2020, 14:58   #13

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

One has to take one's protection seriously and into one's own hands--because no matter what the official stance is, in a country that allows political donations, there will always be input from vested interests that do not always favor the general public.

It is not just America where such "Freedoms" created the economic monster that is the Chinese economy--all western nations have this problem--the freedom to bribe whomsoever they damn well please--and in some cases to get a corporate tax deduction for doing it.

You are all on your own shipmates and others---no one in serious power gives a plugged nickel about you--so never mind the "RULES" or their relaxation.

Just keep safe by doing all you can to limit your exposure and wear masks. This viral disaster is in its infancy.
Old 18-05-2020, 06:52   #14
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

For post #13 I would say the glass is half empty. Never let a opportunity pass to be miserable. Thank you Posters #1 - #12 for useful info.
Old 18-05-2020, 10:29   #15

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

This is the places we stopped in Virginia / Maryland mid april to early may. This may have change a bit::
-GreatBridge city docks are open. The marina south of the bridge is open for business. Most business are operating. Found people to be very relax with social distancing over there.
-Deltaville: all marina opens. You can anchor in front of the marinas and dinghy to their dock. minimal fees to access facilities and walk to town. West Marine was open
-Solomon Island: minimal service available at some of the marinas docks (fuel, water...). We just overnight there, so not much information
-Annapolis: City dock open, and mooring field open. We were only 4 boats in the mooring field. All payment by CC over phone. City dock give you access to showers, laundry. Most shops are closed, some restaurant have take out available. Public fuel dock has no water, but city dock provides way to hook up a hose.
-Havre De Grace: marina center at Log Pond is open for business. No Fuel. Great local community of live aboard that will welcome and help you reprovisionning.
-Chesapeake City: public dock open.

Tags
cruising, east coast, enc