Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2020, 06:46   #46

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)
Re: Recent US East Coast cruising experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
We will never have a true picture of what is going on, as long as there are people who do not wish the information to be shared. China comes to mind as an example; there are others closer to home. Examining trends is a good survival mechanism; it is a basic function of open source intelligence gathering. COVID is not the worst thing to be concerned about in my estimate' there are other things coming down the pipeline, and this is not the best time to get over extended.
I'm curious to know what you mean by "there are other things down the pipeline".Do you know something that we don't know or just speculating?
Old 23-07-2020, 07:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
I'm curious to know what you mean by "there are other things down the pipeline".Do you know something that we don't know or just speculating?
I'm sure it's just speculation, but he's not the only one.

There are a whole lot of things in play out there right now that could be problematic in the not so distant future. The election, the rioting going on in major cities, the China problem, the hellacious debts we are running up this year, government and personal, people starting to flee the cities, and commercial real estate bombing in them.

I don't think you have to be crazy to be thinking that things could be getting worse in the next year or so. I almost think you would have to be crazy to not be wondering about it.
Old 23-07-2020, 07:31   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I just fished the "Kingfish Tournament" in J'ville, Fla.
300 boats...not one mask to be seen.
Most boats had 4,5,6 people on board....a fair bet would be to say, few were family members, friends and fellow fishermen from all over, most likely.
Of the several dozen "volunteers" helping out at the weigh-in and check-in, I saw only 1 mask...wasn't even a mask per se, more like rag around the neck.
"volunteers" and people stepping ashore to weight fish were co-mingling as if nothing was going on...
Boats were kept "socially" distant, which meant right next to each other.....and the "volunteers" helping to catch lines had no choice but to get up close to boats and crew.
Area marina's.....no masks to be seen....
I havn't heard a single negative thing about this event yet, regarding any C-19 issues.

I'm no expert on the C-19 thing.....'jes sayin'....
Old 23-07-2020, 07:31   #49

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
There are a whole lot of things in play out there right now that could be problematic in the not so distant future.
One solid thing is a new mutation of H1N1 ramping up in Wuhan. *sigh*

With absolute and direct impact on US East Coast cruising experience, I found with my latest delivery that one-way car rentals are becoming awkward. Hertz has shut them down completely. Enterprise has limits and requirements (they wanted me to rent for five days to get from Deltaville VA to Annapolis MD - a three hour drive). Budget was accommodating but I had to get to Newport News, an hour drive. Drop-off fees are up as cars are being quarantined for several days and then sanitized.
Old 23-07-2020, 07:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
...and the "volunteers" helping to catch lines had no choice but to get up close to boats and crew.
I've long said that dockhands are the single greatest hazard to cruisers. Now there is another reason to feel that way.

Same with Florida. Silly place to go. One more reason to avoid Florida.
Old 23-07-2020, 07:35   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
One solid thing is a new mutation of H1N1 ramping up in Wuhan. *sigh*

With absolute and direct impact on US East Coast cruising experience, I found with my latest delivery that one-way car rentals are becoming awkward. Hertz has shut them down completely. Enterprise has limits and requirements (they wanted me to rent for five days to get from Deltaville VA to Annapolis MD - a three hour drive). Budget was accommodating but I had to get to Newport News, an hour drive. Drop-off fees are up as cars are being quarantined for several days and then sanitized.
It's different for sure. I had to travel over to Savannah recently, and the hotel had like three other people staying there besides me. There was grass growing up in the cracks in the parking lot, six inches high, like an abandoned highway, and the breakfast area had yellow tape cordoning it off. Almost spooky.

It's interesting hearing these experiences on the ICW because we have put on cruising on hold for now, but of course, want to get back at it as soon as it's practical to do so!
Old 23-07-2020, 07:41   #52
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:

Hertz is shutting down EVERYTHING. Total liquidation of their fleet is the most likely scenario going forward.

Stick a fork in them, they are done.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/435...ation-scenario
Old 23-07-2020, 07:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Hertz is shutting down EVERYTHING. Total liquidation of their fleet is the most likely scenario going forward.

Stick a fork in them, they are done.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/435...ation-scenario
I saw a statistic somewhere that predicted that 60 per cent of the businesses closing down for Covid 19, will end up being close permanently. That' s a lot, if true.
Old 23-07-2020, 07:49   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

not sure about :

I've long said that dockhands are the single greatest hazard to cruisers. Now there is another reason to feel that way.

the dockhands that run the drystack where I keep my fishing boat, I've known for years and years, and have never known any of them to be sick from anything. One of them fished with me. They all come from different parts of town and share a small office.

to date, since the beginning of the C-19 thing, it's been busier than usual for on-the-water activities...and the dockhands are seeing 2-3 times the normal volume of activity..

I'm still going strong, despite the " hazard" of close contact....'jes sayin'.....
Old 23-07-2020, 11:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
the dockhands that run the drystack where I keep my fishing boat, I've known for years and years, and have never known any of them to be sick from anything.
You are fortunate. Be nice to them. My issue is not with infection but poor line-handling. After uncountable dockings I've seen that the majority of dockhands don't follow directions, shout at my crew for the wrong lines, pull the wrong lines at the wrong time, can't tie a cleat hitch to save their lives, and stand there with a glazed look in their eyes holding the line you've just asked them to take a wrap on so you can pull against it. The best way for a dockhand to get a tip from me is to go away and leave me to my own devices.

There are exceptions of course but they are few and far between. Portside Marina in Morehead City NC, Chesapeake Harbor in Annapolis, Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey City NJ, Kammerman's Marina in Atlantic City NJ, Yacht Management Group in Dania Beach FL, surely others. My point is that they are indeed the exceptions that prove the rule.
Old 23-07-2020, 11:48   #56

Here you go: Wrong on so many levels and PROUD OF DOING IT WRONG. *sigh*

Makes me even more crazy then usual.
Old 23-07-2020, 12:13   #57
Senior Cruiser

Crossing loops do very little to increase friction on a cleat hitch compared to round turns. She just did one quarter-belay before starting her crossing loops. One only needs two crosses to lock a cleat hitch. All the rest was just cowboy showing off and does nothing for security of the hitch.

The standard American cleat hitch has both a quarter and then a three-quarter belay around the cleat before the crossing loop and locking loop. The Euro cleat hitch goes around one more horn for a full belay first before the locking loops. For an undersized line like that compared to the larger cleat it is a good idea to go around another half or even full turn before the locking loops to increase friction so it doesn't slide out under load -just like on a winch, the more turns the more friction resisting any slipping.

I always re-tie my lines after a marina dockhand helps me. Very few seem to know how to properly tie dock lines it seems.

https://youtu.be/BBqsF72xNSU
Old 23-07-2020, 12:27   #58

My point exactly. Dockhands are a hazard.

Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS)--your video link--regrettably, long on shaky ground, is a victim of CV-19 and has closed permanently.
Old 23-07-2020, 12:36   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I am not feeling good about East Coast cruising in the short term. We are live aboards who like to hang on the hook, and have been doing so for the past 4 years. Last 7 months touched a dock 3 times; launch, refuel, haul.

We are now hauled out redoing our heads and installing a Purasan to be more enclosed waters friendly. But I’ve no clue where we go to hang in the hook for
this winter. I’m guessing we will need to find a marina for Jan/Feb/March as a minimum.

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 23-07-2020, 12:50   #60
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
My point exactly. Dockhands are a hazard.

Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS)--your video link--regrettably, long on shaky ground, is a victim of CV-19 and has closed permanently.
That's a shame. They made some really great informative videos such as this one. At least they are all still up and haven't been taken down, as a small consolation that there will not be any more.

What can one do but roll with the punches? I have a feeling things are going to get a lot tougher all over before it starts getting any better.

Tags
cruising, east coast, enc