Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 10:53   #16

Boat: Southerly 57
Re: Recent US East Coast cruising experience

I just got back from 5 days on the Chesapeake near Annapolis. Everything is okay, but you must have some sort of mask, regardless of how pathetic it might be, to go in stores. Liquor store was call in and pick up outside. Lots of boats out.
Old 18-05-2020, 12:08   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Boat just launched 2 days ago, but...CT marinas are open, our Guilford town marina has only about 12 boats currently with capacity for about 60. Restrictions at our marina are the usual, social distancing, mask, gloves where appropriate and only housemates on boat. Block Island, RI when arriving from another state (by any means of transport) you must self-quarantine x 14 days, so basically you must remain on your boat in the harbor...situation is fluid as states are cautiously, easing guidance so best to check prior to arrival.
Old 18-05-2020, 14:48   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Annapolis: City dock open, and mooring field open. We were only 4 boats in the mooring field. All payment by CC over phone. City dock give you access to showers, laundry. Most shops are closed, some restaurant have take out available. Public fuel dock has no water, but city dock provides way to hook up a hose.
Just for the record, there is no public fuel dock. Annapolis City Marina has contracts with DNR, USCG, DHS, and Annapolis Fire for fuel and are open. Yacht Basin was closed last I checked. Annapolis Landing Marina was also closed last I checked. Things change so make your own calls to confirm.

Locals are going a little nuts and behavior on City Dock has been poor wrt masks and distancing. Consider what risk you are willing to take.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:56   #19

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Bumping this up, we are getting ready to head north to Maine and are looking for status in RI, MA, and ME. From what I have heard RI is largely open with no mandatory quarantine. We've been up to CT and it was more or less like it has been in NY for a while, largely open with mask required everywhere you can't ensure 6' of separation. Any recent experiences for out of state boaters in MA and ME? I have hear ME requires a COVID test before getting there, is that still an issue? Is there a good place with this info? I've checked the Waterway guide but it seems the updates have fallen behind the times a bit.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:15   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Bumping this up, we are getting ready to head north to Maine and are looking for status in RI, MA, and ME. From what I have heard RI is largely open with no mandatory quarantine. We've been up to CT and it was more or less like it has been in NY for a while, largely open with mask required everywhere you can't ensure 6' of separation. Any recent experiences for out of state boaters in MA and ME? I have hear ME requires a COVID test before getting there, is that still an issue? Is there a good place with this info? I've checked the Waterway guide but it seems the updates have fallen behind the times a bit.
Maine: 14 day quarantine if you’re not from a local northeast state. Quarantine can be avoided by testing where you are now before you travel

Massachusetts: Was no restriction but I saw they had recently changed that.

Rhode Island: no restriction

Masks: wear a mask when off the boat so you don’t ruin our fairly Covid free existence in the northeast.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:34   #21
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Wondering what kinds of new issues will develop as a second wave hits this fall and winter, in the longer term.

Since stay at home orders were so unpopular I fear the next more politically-viable solution will be to instead crack down heavily on travel and travellers more than X number of miles from "home."

What this means to those of us East Coast seasonal migrators looking to head back South again as fall slides into winter and the hurricane season ends will be the million dollar question.

We hedged our bet and stayed further South this summer because we were worried about getting stuck way up North. The Chesapeake is hot and humid for now, but it isn't going to be as far of a haul to a warmer climate come this winter.

If we need to stop at each and every state border and quarantine for two weeks it might make going back down the ICW a real slog. Startng from the Chesapeake it could be only a couple of longer overnighters on the outside to get down to nicer weather if that is what it takes, and waiting for good weather windows while we quarrintine if that is necessary.

We don't have a plan B. No place to go "home" to and can't afford to store the boat and rent a place on land to stay. The best we can do is get far enough south where we can live on the boat for the winter. If that means a marina where we can plug in for electric heat then maybe that's the best we can do.

Is Florida even going to be a a place where higher-risk folks like us want to be next winter? Maybe the Carolinas make more sense. The Bahamas don't seem to be a safe bet. Nowhere in the Caribbean looks safe since the locals seem to ready to throw all visitors under the bus when the going gets sticky. I feel staying in the US as US citizens is the safest choice. Unlikely to get tossed out of our own country...
Old 15-07-2020, 05:46   #22

That’s not how it works.

You just can’t go into town if you are arriving to a state with a 14 day quarantine order. Go anywhere else. There are tons of empty shorelines, isolated rocks, etc.

It’s the best life imaginable under quarantine.

I’m very leery of getting off the boat when she sells.

You can pass through any state at all, no matter what the quarantine rules. You just need to abide by the rules in your destination state.

There is no one at the state border waiting to put you in quarantine. The local harbormaster keeps you out of town or let’s you know what to do. And that’s only in extremely busy, populated areas. Like Newport, RI. On smaller places, it’s up to you to do the quarantine yourself. And you should. It’s for the good of everyone.

Florida will be just fine come winter. It’s raging down there right now. It’ll be all tired out and the dopes living there who have ignored it all this time will finally start wearing masks and social distancing once people they know start getting sick and dying.

Just do your part and wear your mask when off the boat. The locals appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Wondering what kinds of new issues will develop as a second wave hits this fall and winter, in the longer term.

Since stay at home orders were so unpopular I fear the next more politically-viable solution will be to instead crack down heavily on travel and travellers more than X number of miles from "home."

What this means to those of us East Coast seasonal migrators looking to head back South again as fall slides into winter and the hurricane season ends will be the million dollar question.

We hedged our bet and stayed further South this summer because we were worried about getting stuck way up North. The Chesapeake is hot and humid for now, but it isn't going to be as far of a haul to a warmer climate come this winter.

If we need to stop at each and every state border and quarantine for two weeks it might make going back down the ICW a real slog. Startng from the Chesapeake it could be only a couple of longer overnighters on the outside to get down to nicer weather if that is what it takes, and waiting for good weather windows while we quarrintine if that is necessary.

We don't have a plan B. No place to go "home" to and can't afford to store the boat and rent a place on land to stay. The best we can do is get far enough south where we can live on the boat for the winter. If that means a marina where we can plug in for electric heat then maybe that's the best we can do.

Is Florida even going to be a a place where higher-risk folks like us want to be next winter? Maybe the Carolinas make more sense. The Bahamas don't seem to be a safe bet. Nowhere in the Caribbean looks safe since the locals seem to ready to throw all visitors under the bus when the going gets sticky. I feel staying in the US as US citizens is the safest choice. Unlikely to get tossed out of our own country...
Old 15-07-2020, 07:18   #23

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I am now in R.I. They (according to the internet) currently require a 14 day quarantine if arriving from a listed ">5% infection" state, or a negative test. The listed states include the whole east coast from MD south. We have had no hassle since arriving here. No-one has asked where we came from. The mask wearing culture here is the strongest I've seen anywhere I've been so far, moreso than Philadelphia, but people are pretty friendly about it. The quarantine rules have exemptions for shopping for groceries, fuel or health care and that provides opportunity for walking about towns. We have no desire to eat in a restaurant. I do go for a morning run ashore some days, sans mask but well distanced from people. We'd normally tour about on shore a bit more but otherwise it is normal cruising for us.
Old 15-07-2020, 09:00   #24

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You can pass through any state at all, no matter what the quarantine rules. You just need to abide by the rules in your destination state.
I agree with the posts which point out that the quarantine orders won't really stop you from passing through, buying fuel, and possibly even staying at some marinas and shopping for groceries or take-out food.

One concern is that some states (notably, Maryland) had totally shut down recreational boating this past spring. There were pictures on TV of massive raft-ups of small power boats, with no social distancing being practiced.

I don't think there will be another lock-down like the spring. But if images like that show up on TV again, and citizens feel like some boaters are flaunting the rules, it's always a possibility they'll do something stupid against all boaters. (see: Florida and Georgia anchoring laws.)
Old 15-07-2020, 09:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I agree with the posts which point out that the quarantine orders won't really stop you from passing through, buying fuel, and possibly even staying at some marinas and shopping for groceries or take-out food.

One concern is that some states (notably, Maryland) had totally shut down recreational boating this past spring. There were pictures on TV of massive raft-ups of small power boats, with no social distancing being practiced.

I don't think there will be another lock-down like the spring. But if images like that show up on TV again, and citizens feel like some boaters are flaunting the rules, it's always a possibility they'll do something stupid against all boaters. (see: Florida and Georgia anchoring laws.)

Exactly.

So anyone cruising should show the utmost respect, try not to go ashore except in deserted areas, and always, ALWAYS wear a mask ashore.

Some extra manners are important right now if you are a visitor.
Old 15-07-2020, 10:10   #26
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
That’s not how it works.

That's just not how it works NOW. I know -we travelled the ICW from the keys up to the Chesapeake this season.

But if you would have told me a year ago that most states would almost completely shut down and the majority of Americans wiuld be under stay at home orders for a month or two I wouldn't have believed you either.

If you do not want to believe that if/when death counts maybe start pushing 1-2 million (or perhaps even more) and folks start really panicking, that their state and local leaders might freak out and start setting up checkpoints on highways, and yes even the ICW, then keep on believing it won't ever happen "here."

That's what every refuge has said...
Old 15-07-2020, 10:42   #27

Ok. Point taken on the “what if”.

I don’t have any other home either. What truly frightens me is that I’m about to sell a perfectly good boat I could leave this country on for a boat that’s not finished yet.

Extreme Covid issues, war with China, civil war. All scary stuff when you don’t have a boat that’s ready. I’ve always had a boat that’s ready.

So for the next year or so, I’m going to be helpless if something should go wrong.

I have to look at it like this: it’s the risks you take that get you ahead of the pack. It’s going to be risky parting with a perfectly functional and comfortable blue water cruiser to put myself into a construction project, but if I don’t give it a try, I’m going to have to throw away the catamaran.

I’m taking the risk and are every bit as scared as you. But, I have some faith in the Covid side of things. As more and more people die, more and more will wear masks and keep away from each other. This should self limit the virus.

Things I’ve called on this forum well before they were widely known this year:

1) NYC would be the first to emerge from the first wave
2) Boats were selling like crazy this year
3) You should buy the corona virus dip in the market
4) Florida was going to get creamed because nobody was taking the virus seriously.

There’s one thing I’m good at and it’s that. Seeing trends. The virus will self limit as people get scared enough to start wearing masks.

The sad thing is it’s going to take fear instead of intelligence to limit the virus here in the USA. We sure are a stupid bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
That's just not how it works NOW. I know -we travelled the ICW from the keys up to the Chesapeake this season.

But if you would have told me a year ago that most states would almost completely shut down and the majority of Americans wiuld be under stay at home orders for a month or two I wouldn't have believed you either.

If you do not want to believe that if/when death counts maybe start pushing 1-2 million (or perhaps even more) and folks start really panicking, that their state and local leaders might freak out and start setting up checkpoints on highways, and yes even the ICW, then keep on believing it won't ever happen "here."

That's what every refuge has said...
Old 15-07-2020, 12:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Florida is certainly not looking like a great spot to spend the winter at the moment, especially for someone on our crew who is high-risk. We know a few other cruisers who are also higher-risk too, and looking to minimize exposure while maximizing the nearby ICU beds/population ratio should the worst happen. We are all waiting and seeing for our plans this coming winter.

We are finishing off our diesel heater so we could survive on the hook further north than before. Earlier we have determined that anything North of St. Augustine was much too cold to be out on the hook without heat come the end of December.

Jacksonville was brutal two years ago over Christmas when we dawdled up there too long. Temps were dropping into the high 20's at night for a few days and for a couple weeks straight came pretty close to or achieved freezing overnight before we just gave up and went further south. It got better at St. Augustine. But maybe with the new diesel heater we can take that now.

If we stay in Georgia or S. Carolina maybe the diesel heater will still do okay. But if we are much further north than that such as New Bern we'd likely need to spring for a marina again to plug in for electric heat.

It all depends on the political climate, fear of outsiders like us cruisers, and the degree certain locations become pandemic hotspots.

I'm not afraid of this virus, I'm simply aware of the risks and how bad it might get in worst-case scenarios. We are just trying to minimize our exposure and maximize our chances while working around our liabilities and limited resources as cruisers. Many folks like to stick their heads in the sand and hope for the best. Usually that works, until it doesn't.
Old 15-07-2020, 14:16   #29

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Quote:
Ok. Point taken on the “what if”.

I don’t have any other home either. What truly frightens me is that I’m about to sell a perfectly good boat I could leave this country on for a boat that’s not finished yet.

How able are you going to be to pick your yard location? What we say in NY is that marinas were closed for about a week officially. Some were closed to owners Monday-Friday from 7:00am-4:00pm to limit exposure for yard employees but by and large owners were able to access their boats to get work done and expections were made for some liveaboards. We sold everything right before this all started to go mental so not having a land based home is a concern but we have plenty of family to couch surf with if required. Not at all ideal but at least we're not toally screwed should things really go south.

Quote:

The sad thing is it’s going to take fear instead of intelligence to limit the virus here in the USA. We sure are a stupid bunch.
[/QUOTE]

And that right there sums it up. Even states that have tamed this thing to a large degree are seeing sporadic flare ups. NY has seen a few, mainly July 4th revelers overcrowding, not wearing masks, and getting sick as a result. Oddly I haven't seen any spikes as a result of the protests which I find puzzling or maybe it points to how unlikely it is to contract it in crowds outdoors. Who knows, all I know is the mask thing appears to be working, as much as it sucks. I'm finding in most of the places I go people wear them indoors all the time, on crowded streets in busy downtown areas, but generally leave them off when exercising, driving or walking on less densely populated streets which seems to jibe with WHO and US health department recommendations.
Old 15-07-2020, 14:28   #30

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Jumping in here since there has been a lot of patting each other on the back... First, total closure of waterways not already federally restricted is not going to happen. One - too big to manage and two - borderline unenforceable.

Ihave hope for recovery and a vaccine (or two), I hate wearing a mask but I do when needed, and most importantly I know that the damage done by this virus is going to get bigger and is way beyond just the death toll from direct contraction. People are dying financially and people are killing themsleves due to the craziness this is all causing. It is going to get much worse if we don't find a way to tamp it down.

Until then moederate risk is needed to keep economies going and to keep people sane. Humans are a social creature and when that disappears so does life as we know it.

Tags
cruising, east coast, enc