Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 02:35   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021 & onwards

I am in Denmark where the boat overwintered this year, and yesterday, a beautiful spring-like day, the local yacht club launched a bunch of club member boats. My neighbor has been out sailing. It looks like expectations here are that it will be possible to sail this summer, even through travelling from port to port for pleasure would not seem to fulfill the advisory to "avoid unnecessary travel".

Just across The Sound from here, Sweden is taking the least strict approach in Europe and has not locked down the population. The borders are open to travellers from other European countries (Schengen as a whole is closed to non-Schengen travel). Restaurants are open. Here too there is an advisory against "unnecessary travel". There are a lot of cases -- over 3000 as of today. Maybe it will peak faster and be over with -- maybe Sweden will be a possible cruising destination this summer?

Finland is under restrictions and the province in which Helsinki is located has been closed -- an extraordinary measure. Nevertheless, my Finnish friends are launching their boats and hoping there will be sailing in the summer. At the moment, guidance seems to indicated that sailing will be allowed. My yacht club has closed its club house, locker rooms, etc., but the harbor works as normal. Training for racing continues in groups of less than 6 people. The club private islands are all usable, but social distancing rules apply. So Finland might be a decent place to be sailing PROVIDED one has a way to get in. I have a residence permit so maybe I will be allowed to sail there from Denmark -- at least single handed. With friendly Sweden in between it might even be possible to make a cruise out of it.

The borders of Estonia are closed and the Western Islands are closed to non-residents of the islands -- even Estonians -- so much for cruising there, if those restrictions are not lifted by summer.

Norway was one of the first European countries to close borders. Don't know what other restrictions there are there.

What plans do others have in this area?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 29-03-2020, 04:29   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Northern Europe this Summer

Sweden must eventually close partially (Stockholm mebbe?) so don't count on them, thou as the neighbouring countries have closed their borders there's not much need to close outer borders. That aside between and inside Nordic countries work, family and residence related travel seems possible. One must only have papers with to prove such circumstances.

BR Teddy
Old 29-03-2020, 04:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

My neighbor here is going back out sailing today, and with a big crew. I asked him whether it's allowed to sail between Danish ports -- he said "we think so".
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 29-03-2020, 05:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Our Easter holiday was supposed to be on a charter yacht in the Scottish Western Isles. The charter company has been good and agreed to moving the booking until end of September, so there is some hope.

Most UK marinas are closed and we can't even visit the boat at the moment. Plan for late summer will be sailing in the UK. Thankfully as you know we have some superb cruising grounds.

Pete
Old 29-03-2020, 07:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My neighbor here is going back out sailing today, and with a big crew. I asked him whether it's allowed to sail between Danish ports -- he said "we think so".
I was supposed to set sail yesterday from St Maarten to Horta, but here I'm working in Norway..
It was a bit sudden close-down all over thou I saw it coming friday two weeks ago but managed not to get confirmation of a couple of more sailors to crew this Swan 65 in question ahead of schedule nor from the owner.
Old 29-03-2020, 07:48   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

You're a smart guy. You know the answer:
A. We can't know at this time.
B. Travel is what caused the pandemic.
C. The definition of unnecessary is plain.

As for me, same-port sailing seems fine, port-to-port, not early summer, After that, who knows.
Old 29-03-2020, 08:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You're a smart guy. You know the answer:
A. We can't know at this time.
B. Travel is what caused the pandemic.
C. The definition of unnecessary is plain.

As for me, same-port sailing seems fine, port-to-port, not early summer, After that, who knows.
Port to port as long there's no lock-down poses no additional risk if both ports are with similar risk considering corona. The lock-downs would have been smart earlier when the we were at risk of getting the virus. Now it's allmost irrelevant as there's a lot more carriers for the virus inside the borders. More strick quarantine regs would be suffient as here in the Nordic countries it seems to be a bit too relaxed considering the isolation.. Just IMHO..
Old 29-03-2020, 08:39   #8

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

Dockhead, thank you for this post even though the future is very murky. My boat is also in Denmark and, I am told, work towards launch is progressing. However, my plans are on hold for now. As an American, my options may be more limited than those of EU citizens. Plan A is/was German and French canals to the Med this summer. Plan D is cruising in Maine on OPBs. Then there is Plan E...

Please keep us current.
Old 29-03-2020, 08:48   #9

The virus knows no borders and has no timeline.

Today Denmark records 194 new infections with the Coronavirus, bringing the total to 2,395.

257 new cases of coronavirus were registered in Norway, bringing the total to 4102.

Sweden, 378 new cases, by far the largest daily increase. The curve is shifting to be steeper. 3,574 cases cumulative to date. 3,319 mild cases, 255 serious or critical (7%). 110 deaths.
Old 29-03-2020, 09:51   #10

Boat: Vancouver 32

I’m amazed at this, as stated already, there is no such thing as “ borders” re this virus, the rules which are similar everywhere as far as I can see, is “ NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL” It is selfish and ignorant to plan any such trip, attempting to “ Bend” the rules. I think some of you should look at Italia and rethink your plans.
To go cruising, you need shops, marinas (even if its just for fuel and water) and thats even with your boat in the water, if its not, you need craneage etc,.etc.,

You should “DO THE RIGHT THING” and stay home, the more people that do, the quicker it will be over fore everyone.

Our boat is currently wintering on the German island of Fehmarn. Germany has closed most of its Baltic coast so that scuppers our plan to sail up the East Cost of Sweden this year and winter near Stockholm.
Our plans are on total hold until hopefully later this summer or maybe next year taking the year out and wait and see where we are, hopefully a vaccine will emerge sooner than later.
Old 29-03-2020, 10:29   #11

Boat: Hunter Legend 45

We were planning to sail from Belgium to Sweden starting early may... Go through the Gotta canal back to Denmark.
Everything is on hold for the moment. Our bout is in Holland, we are not allowed to travel and certainly not crossing the border. Don’t know when this will change.
Just wait and see for the moment.
@ Dockhead Where did you put your boat for the winter in Denmark? Is she on the hard or sill in the water? It crossed our minds also to leave the boat up north.

Regards,
Willy
Old 29-03-2020, 11:28   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinIOM View Post
I’m amazed at this, as stated already, there is no such thing as “ borders” re this virus, the rules which are similar everywhere as far as I can see, is “ NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL” It is selfish and ignorant to plan any such trip, attempting to “ Bend” the rules. I think some of you should look at Italia and rethink your plans.
To go cruising, you need shops, marinas (even if its just for fuel and water) and thats even with your boat in the water, if its not, you need craneage etc,.etc.,

You should “DO THE RIGHT THING” and stay home, the more people that do, the quicker it will be over fore everyone.. . . .

No one is attempting to "bend" the rules; just understand what they require. "No unnecessary travel" is recommendation in most of the Nordic region, and sailing as a sport is specifically encouraged at least in Finland, so may not be considered "unnecessary". The rules are not intended to disrupt life more than necessary.

I've already been sick with COVID-19 so I'm not going to be spreading it in any case.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-03-2020, 11:29   #13

Unbelievable! Stay at home, going to a boat is uneccesary travel, especially if you are crossing borders. It takes 5-11 days for symptons to show, so even though you feel well now you might not soon. You could be spreading it and if not you may get it. To go out uneccesarily is selfish and risks peoples lives. So don't do it please.
Old 29-03-2020, 11:32   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeilersailor View Post
. . . @ Dockhead Where did you put your boat for the winter in Denmark? Is she on the hard or sill in the water? It crossed our minds also to leave the boat up north.. .

I'm in a fishing harbor South of Copenhagen, and the boat has been in the water the whole winter. We did some sailing in December and I had hoped to already be sailing now, but events intervened. The idea was to get the boat out of the risk of ice. Normally I overwinter in Cowes, UK South coast, but I was so busy with my work this fall that I decided not to go that far. Also Brexit -- as a VAT-paid, UK flag boat, if we had been caught in UK waters on Brexit day, we would have lost VAT status in Europe.

Denmark is nice, but I've been kind of missing Cowes and the Solent, which is a magical place to spend the winter, with as much sailing in the winter as you could ever wish for. Maybe next year.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-03-2020, 23:51   #15

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

To Dockhead. We have a British VAT paid boat laying in Spain at the moment. Does that mean I cannot visit Britain and come back to Europe in fear of losing VAT status? You got me confused.
What if the boat registration procedure in Holland started before brexit but was finished after brexit?
Tx so much

Tags
rope, Europe