Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2021, 10:01   #2266
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Eventually some countries will force injections on arrival using whatever vaccine they choose regardless of your previous vaccines.
Indeed.
I can see it, already starting.

Old 25-03-2021, 10:21   #2267

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed.
I can see it, already starting.

Gord, you are really good at this!

thank you for the laugh!!

helps... being that where-i-am is in complete and utter lockdown again

wolfie
Old 25-03-2021, 13:35   #2268

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I've said this before.

Any disease with this high of contagion, we will ALL get it.

Fortunately 99.7% of us will live through it.

The countries with the harshest lockdowns just delayed the inevitable.
I thought the Australian 'lockdown' ... now but a distant memory... was considered very harsh in some quarters... I'll give you the drum... it was not quite as harsh as the 19/20 bushfires or the recent floods.

My biggest concern is the slow rate of vaccination ... I don't get my first shot until next Tuesday....
Old 25-03-2021, 13:53   #2269
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I thought the Australian 'lockdown' ... now but a distant memory... was considered very harsh in some quarters... I'll give you the drum... it was not quite as harsh as the 19/20 bushfires or the recent floods.

My biggest concern is the slow rate of vaccination ... I don't get my first shot until next Tuesday....
You think your lot are bad... you should try Brussels..
The EU started its vaccination program Dec 27th 2020 and they still have not got down to the 80yr olds yet.. here in Portugal they have vaccinated 1,163,873 people against COVID-19, 824,313 of them given the first dose and 339,560 both doses.
As of July 2020, Portugal had 10,302,674 inhabitants.. so that's less than 10%.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 25-03-2021, 18:32   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You think your lot are bad... you should try Brussels..
The EU started its vaccination program Dec 27th 2020 and they still have not got down to the 80yr olds yet.. here in Portugal they have vaccinated 1,163,873 people against COVID-19, 824,313 of them given the first dose and 339,560 both doses.
As of July 2020, Portugal had 10,302,674 inhabitants.. so that's less than 10%.
I must take the tongue out of my cheek....

They haven't done all the health care workers, very old and in care, quarantine workers, etc in Australia yet.
I think they started on the over 70s just to shut us up.
Started taking bookings last Friday.... my spot was confirmed yesterday - Thursday - so I am happy enough. Ecuador here I come

1.3% of the population with the first jab thus far.
Old 25-03-2021, 22:26   #2271
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

WORLDWIDE BREAKING NEWS.....

Queensland has one community case of Covid.....

Lets see how everyone reacts this time, being in WA I am expecting closed borders and 2 weeks quarantine for anyone from Queensland.

Although I could be wrong, as the State election is now just behind us
Old 25-03-2021, 23:40   #2272

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
I must take the tongue out of my cheek....

They haven't done all the health care workers, very old and in care, quarantine workers, etc in Australia yet.
I think they started on the over 70s just to shut us up.
Started taking bookings last Friday.... my spot was confirmed yesterday - Thursday - so I am happy enough. Ecuador here I come

1.3% of the population with the first jab thus far.
although they dont admit for confidence reasons, there is some hesitance to push with full steam in many countries. Probably waiting for results of others.... so they make up these supply stories, etc. to buy some time.
Old 26-03-2021, 16:42   #2273

Norway will delay a decision on whether to resume the use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine until April 15, the Norwegian Institute of Public Health (FHI) has said, amid continuing fears over blood clots. Norway is one of more than a dozen European countries to have suspended the rollout of the vaccine, although most have since resumed its use on the advice of the EMA. The shot remains on hold in Denmark, however, while other Nordic countries are just using it for older age groups.

AstraZeneca has said a review of safety data from more than 17 million people inoculated in Britain and the European Union showed no evidence the vaccine raised the risk of blood clots.

Norway has reported five cases in which healthy recipients of the vaccine were admitted to hospital with a combination of blood clots, bleedings and low platelets, three of whom have died. Local health authorities think the individuals developed antibodies in an immune response, which stimulated blood platelets that in turn created blood clots, and later, lowered platelet counts. A sixth person, who also got the vaccine, died from brain a haemorrhage in combination with a low count of platelets, health authorities have said.

Norway has been using vaccines developed by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna and hopes to use Johnson & Johnson’s once supplies become available in Europe.
The non-EU country is getting its vaccines via the European procurement programme, thanks to Sweden buying more shots than it needs and then passing them on to its neighbour.
Old 26-03-2021, 17:52   #2274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Pardon me if this has been addressed recently in this thread but have been out of touch for a while and have not been following closely.

We had a trip to France booked last year that we had to cancel due to Covid. Could only get credit for a big piece of it (le Boat for a two week canal trip, no refunds, bah humbug) so had to rebook for this coming July.

The way things are going I'm not feeling too optimistic that travel to France in July is going to be happening.

Anyone have any opinions, guesses or wild speculation?
Old 26-03-2021, 18:03   #2275
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Pardon me if this has been addressed recently in this thread but have been out of touch for a while and have not been following closely.

We had a trip to France booked last year that we had to cancel due to Covid. Could only get credit for a big piece of it (le Boat for a two week canal trip, no refunds, bah humbug) so had to rebook for this coming July.

The way things are going I'm not feeling too optimistic that travel to France in July is going to be happening.

No chance.. Europe is a cluster flock.. others may think otherwise..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-03-2021, 18:26   #2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

From whence will you be departing? What is your citizenship and residency?
Entry by non-essential travelers is suspended regardless of COVID-19 test status.
Presently Americans can not travel to the EU except for very narrow waivers as to essentiality of travel. I don't see travel being eased until there is reciprocity of travel between the USA and the EU and while the USA is progressing well with vaccination, the EU lags considerably behind in comparison. There just will not be a desire on American's part to enable Europeans to enter the USA. The USA will likely open to Canada before we reopen to the EU and that does not look like anytime soon.

I perceive 2021 to be a COVID transition year, with 2022 becoming a new normal. Next summer is my recommendation.

France is easing its border restrictions to a select few countries that have controlled SARS-CoV-2 infection. France is to ease its COVID border restrictions for several countries including the UK - but travellers will still need to have a negative test before arriving. The foreign ministry said those flying to or from Australia, South Korea, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the UK and Singapore will no longer need to have a compelling reason to travel.

COVID is worsening considerably in Europe and definitely in France.

Daily cases in France have nearly doubled since the start of the month, reaching over 45,000 on Thursday, with the number of people in intensive care now standing at 4,766, not far from the peak during the second wave in November.

In Paris, the pressure on hospitals is even greater, with the bulk of non-essential surgeries being cancelled to free up beds amid the rapid spread of the more contagious British variant, which now causes the majority of infections nationwide.

Authorities said Friday that 304 people had died of Covid in the past 24 hours, bring the total to 93,709.

French President Emmanuel Macron has come under fire for going against the advice of scientific experts and his health minister at the end of January when he decided not to impose a national lockdown. Schools across the country remain open, though individual classes in high-risk departments will now close if just one student tests positive, instead of three previously. “That will necessarily mean more class closures in the coming days,” Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer said Friday, calling outright school shutdowns to slow the virus a “last resort”. The number of new coronavirus cases in children under 15 has accelerated sharply over the past week.

“The British variant… is not more contagious for children, but it is as contagious for children as for adults,” the agency’s respiratory infections chief Daniel Levy-Bruhl stated.

France’s vaccination campaign has also been sluggish amid a chronic shortage of doses, with only around 10 percent of the population having received at least one dose.

Germany will classify France as a high-risk zone for Covid-19, according to Angela Merkel, in a move that could see Berlin tighten border controls and require mandatory quarantine to enter the Germany from France.

Hey you might consider Sicily : The governor of Sicily has said on Tuesday he will make beach bars available to serve as mass vaccination sites next summer. “We are ready to carry out vaccinations even in beach bars’’, said Nello Musumeci. “Of course, we’ll do it with the authorisation of bar owners. But we can do it as soon as we have the vaccines. We can’t stop, not even in summer.” You could get a Covid vaccine and a chaser.

Stay safe, stay healthy.
Old 26-03-2021, 18:37   #2277

Quote:
Sheep of a feather, flock together?

I find it hard to admit it but maybe Brexit wasn't such a bad thing after all....
Old 26-03-2021, 18:43   #2278
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:
Sheep of a feather, flock together?

I find it hard to admit it but maybe Brexit wasn't such a bad thing after all....
It'll be a hard row to plough but I reckon it'll turn good sooner than later..

Old 26-03-2021, 19:23   #2279
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In the last month or so I've heard from friends in Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium and the UK. All agree that it's a FUBAR.
Old 26-03-2021, 19:28   #2280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
From whence will you be departing? What is your citizenship and residency?
Entry by non-essential travelers is suspended regardless of COVID-19 test status.
Presently Americans can not travel to the EU except for very narrow waivers as to essentiality of travel. I don't see travel being eased until there is reciprocity of travel between the USA and the EU and while the USA is progressing well with vaccination, the EU lags considerably behind in comparison. There just will not be a desire on American's part to enable Europeans to enter the USA. The USA will likely open to Canada before we reopen to the EU and that does not look like anytime soon.

I perceive 2021 to be a COVID transition year, with 2022 becoming a new normal. Next summer is my recommendation.

France is easing its border restrictions to a select few countries that have controlled SARS-CoV-2 infection. France is to ease its COVID border restrictions for several countries including the UK - but travellers will still need to have a negative test before arriving. The foreign ministry said those flying to or from Australia, South Korea, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the UK and Singapore will no longer need to have a compelling reason to travel.

COVID is worsening considerably in Europe and definitely in France.

Daily cases in France have nearly doubled since the start of the month, reaching over 45,000 on Thursday, with the number of people in intensive care now standing at 4,766, not far from the peak during the second wave in November.

In Paris, the pressure on hospitals is even greater, with the bulk of non-essential surgeries being cancelled to free up beds amid the rapid spread of the more contagious British variant, which now causes the majority of infections nationwide.

Authorities said Friday that 304 people had died of Covid in the past 24 hours, bring the total to 93,709.

French President Emmanuel Macron has come under fire for going against the advice of scientific experts and his health minister at the end of January when he decided not to impose a national lockdown. Schools across the country remain open, though individual classes in high-risk departments will now close if just one student tests positive, instead of three previously. “That will necessarily mean more class closures in the coming days,” Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer said Friday, calling outright school shutdowns to slow the virus a “last resort”. The number of new coronavirus cases in children under 15 has accelerated sharply over the past week.

“The British variant… is not more contagious for children, but it is as contagious for children as for adults,” the agency’s respiratory infections chief Daniel Levy-Bruhl stated.

France’s vaccination campaign has also been sluggish amid a chronic shortage of doses, with only around 10 percent of the population having received at least one dose.

Germany will classify France as a high-risk zone for Covid-19, according to Angela Merkel, in a move that could see Berlin tighten border controls and require mandatory quarantine to enter the Germany from France.

Hey you might consider Sicily : The governor of Sicily has said on Tuesday he will make beach bars available to serve as mass vaccination sites next summer. “We are ready to carry out vaccinations even in beach bars’’, said Nello Musumeci. “Of course, we’ll do it with the authorisation of bar owners. But we can do it as soon as we have the vaccines. We can’t stop, not even in summer.” You could get a Covid vaccine and a chaser.

Stay safe, stay healthy.
US resident and citizen, would leave probably from Boston.

Certainly now and for the next month or so travel to Europe is 100% no go at least as a tourist. I'm just wondering if things will be better by July.

Was forced to cancel trips last year with no redunds, the only option was rebooking for this year. At this point I'm ready to give up the deposits to the tune of a couple of boat bucks. Unless there is a MAJOR change in EU I'm just not feeling good about travel this year.

Tags
rope, Europe