Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 01:27   #1

Boat: Norseman 447cc
New York marinas allowed to open again

Finally some good news. Charters and boat rentals will not yet be allowed but privately owned marinas will be allowed to reopen with the usual social distancing requirements in place. Municipal boat ramps and marinas will still be closed.

https://www.whec.com/coronavirus/new...eopen/5704013/

svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 02:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New York marinas allowed to open again

Govs. Andrew Cuomo of New York, Phil Murphy of New Jersey, and Ned Lamont of Connecticut have announced the reopening of marinas and boatyards, as long as they follow social distancing and sanitation protocols during the coronavirus crisis.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 04:06   #3

Not bad! Only about four days later than the normal start to the season.

April 15th is the most common changeover date from winter to summer contracts.

Good news for me, personally in case I need diesel. Have been running the generator a lot for heat (no diesel heater) because it’s been a bit chilly.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 05:03   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Any word on Michigan or Maryland backing off their drastic restrictions?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 05:07   #5

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Good news for me. Although now I really have to get it in gear to clean up from all of the winter projects, wax the hull and get some fresh bottom paint on. I'll hopefully be able to get a launch date from my marina this week, but pending that, I'm figuring I need to be ready to go by the first week of May (so 2 weeks from now).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 05:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Any word on Michigan or Maryland backing off their drastic restrictions?

I suspect that as goes NY the rest will be relatively soon to follow. It is not clear though how long it will be before public facilities in NY are open, i.e. pump out stations, public boat ramps, marinas in parks, and the like but it's start.
Old 19-04-2020, 06:18   #7

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
I suspect that as goes NY the rest will be relatively soon to follow. It is not clear though how long it will be before public facilities in NY are open, i.e. pump out stations, public boat ramps, marinas in parks, and the like but it's start.

I'd expect facilities in parks to be the first of the public marinas / docks to come back, as the state parks are already open, so it shouldn't be a big staffing difference. For the others, I'm not sure. Probably depends on whether it needs more people working, how well they're set up to maintain distancing, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 06:59   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I assume our provincial governments here in Canada will be watching this decision closely. I dearly hope NYers do this right, and there is no significant uptick in infections related to this opening.

It is possible to go boating, and most especially cruising, while maintaining necessary physical distancing requirements. But it will depend on how people behave.
Old 19-04-2020, 07:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I assume our provincial governments here in Canada will be watching this decision closely. I dearly hope NYers do this right, and there is no significant uptick in infections related to this opening.

It is possible to go boating, and most especially cruising, while maintaining necessary physical distancing requirements. But it will depend on how people behave.

Most of the people that will be making use of their boats this early in the season will mostly be fisherman and the more hardcore sailors, at least around where I am at the moment which should keeps things relatively low key. The yahoos don't really show up until Memorial Day weekend and if this thing is still in full on social distancing mode by then I think anarchy will be a bigger issue than some fools on a boat ignoring those rules.
Old 19-04-2020, 08:44   #10

Quote:
Most of the people that will be making use of their boats this early in the season will mostly be fisherman and the more hardcore sailors, at least around where I am at the moment which should keeps things relatively low key. The yahoos don't really show up until Memorial Day weekend and if this thing is still in full on social distancing mode by then I think anarchy will be a bigger issue than some fools on a boat ignoring those rules.
This is definitely true. I am sitting here in a harbor right now in New York.

There are no boats in the water. There are no moorings in the water. Just me out here.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 08:59   #11

Ughhhh, so now the private marina can go ahead with summer slip rates before I can move her over to the municipal mooring basin.
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 09:03   #12

Boat: Hylas 54

I just purchased a Hylas 54 located in Newport RI - I live in NH. RI Governor says if I want step aboard, prepare to be quarantined for two weeks. Apart from the constitutional questions of which there are many, I am hard pressed to understand the policy. How is my painting the bottom of my boat jeopardizing the good folks of Rhode Island. Sounds like good news for New York in any event.
gconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 09:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconley View Post
I just purchased a Hylas 54 located in Newport RI - I live in NH. RI Governor says if I want step aboard, prepare to be quarantined for two weeks. Apart from the constitutional questions of which there are many, I am hard pressed to understand the policy. How is my painting the bottom of my boat jeopardizing the good folks of Rhode Island. Sounds like good news for New York in any event.

They had a bit of a knee jerk reaction to all of the people heading in from New York city and the surrounding areas to their weekend homes to escape the virus hot spots. I'm guessing if the marina where the boat is stored is able to paint the bottom for you and drop her in the water you will be able to jump on and leave without the quarantine. I believe that order is for vessels entering RI waters. I may be wrong but it says nothing about vessels leaving RI.
Old 19-04-2020, 09:18   #14

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

It is possible to go boating, and most especially cruising while maintaining necessary physical distancing requirements. But it will depend on how people behave.
I hope this won't feed the second wave. The Canada/US should remain closed to non-essential traffic of all kinds until science, not politicians tell us it is safe.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 09:18   #15

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
They had a bit of a knee jerk reaction to all of the people heading in from New York city and the surrounding areas to their weekend homes to escape the virus hot spots. I'm guessing if the marina where the boat is stored is able to paint the bottom for you and drop her in the water you will be able to jump on and leave without the quarantine. I believe that order is for vessels entering RI waters. I may be wrong but it says nothing about vessels leaving RI.

Thanks for the response. I would normally have the yard do the bottom but putting a bottom on is a good way to get intimate with the hull (thru hulls, transducers, etc) I plan to keep the boat in RI for the season and likely haul in the winter unless I head to the carib, covid 19 dependent

gconley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, new york