Good day, fellow cruisers!
We’re a family
of 6, 2 adults and 4 kids
, for now have been full time cruising around Caribbean
for 2 years.
At the moment we’re staying in USVI. We had been planning on sailing to Bahamas
and spending some time there. Then return to Florida
and sell our catamaran
there, to live some time on land. If we don’t have to sell it before the hurricane
season starts go up North along the east coast
and go on cruising a little more.
As it’s true for many of you, COVID-19 have messed up all our plans.
We’re not sure if it’s possible to sell the boat
According to our insurance
police we have to be at 35-36 latitude North.
We still need to pick up some of our belongings from South Florida
There are too many questions to figure out.
First, when it’s better time to leave USVI, now or wait till May when the weather
or situation with virus might got better (or worse) For now situation in USVI looks better than those in Florida. At the moment, we don’t have problems with fuel
, groceries, laundry
, for example. And it’s more quiet and less crowded than in Florida.
do you think better?
Try to sail to South Florida or head
or maybe South or North Carolina
then try to return to Miami
to pick up our things from storage
before sailing North for hurricane
If possible, making 7-8 days long passage
, we’d prefer to go further offshore
because there is less traffic, fishing
net and wind
changes. Go through all the islands including Bahamas without opportunity to drop the anchor
and take a rest is tiresome.
from Florida and place is better to spending hurricane season with good, hopefully safe and free anchorages
We’ve got 40 feet catamaran
, 24 beam and 67"mast.
We’re appreciate your advices, opinion and experience. It may help us to make more adequate decisions.
Thank you in advance! Stay safe!