Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 21:58   #1

Make gym at home?

We have already faced such a problem as COVID when we had everything closed including gyms. So, I decided to organize a small gym at home. But I think that it is not enough to buy some dumbells and barbells. I want to have more functional training. Has anybody bought and used battle ropes at home? Or maybe you can suggest something else to make training at home more varied.
frankstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 22:12   #2

Re: Make gym at home?

I think that it is better to buy some dumbells with different weights and an Olympic barbell. And iF you have a place you can put squat cage/power rack. Also, I'll buy something for cardio. Treadmill for example. To train and you can take a look at the inversion table. Speaking about battle ropes I'll better buy POWER GUIDANCE Battle Rope. They are heavy enough and as I remember it is not so hard to install them anywhere in any wall.
tomos1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:46   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Make gym at home?

Youíve come to the right place to get your questions answered. We have lots of dumbbells here of all sizes, and plenty of dead weight too. We battle about ropes all the time although we mostly call them lines, and chains and anchors. As far as total body workouts there are lots of discussions about boat yoga and engine rooms or bilges. And arguing about COLREGS can get your heart rate up for a real cardio workout. Exercise bands are okay if they donít play too loudly in quiet anchorages. Lots of boats have squat racks, they just call them davits.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 10:28   #4

Boat: I can’t use epoxy. Please don’t suggest it. It can kill me. 50’ performance cat

Make spam at home?
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:08   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Youíve come to the right place to get your questions answered. We have lots of dumbbells here of all sizes, and plenty of dead weight too. We battle about ropes all the time although we mostly call them lines, and chains and anchors. As far as total body workouts there are lots of discussions about boat yoga and engine rooms or bilges. And arguing about COLREGS can get your heart rate up for a real cardio workout. Exercise bands are okay if they donít play too loudly in quiet anchorages. Lots of boats have squat racks, they just call them davits.
This was great!
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 20:30   #6

I prefer kettle bells for a great and varied upper body and core workout. Treadmill and swimming for cardio.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 01:33   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

THANK YOU, Tayana 42 for you wonderful sense of humor, it's some times needed here.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 03:25   #8

Boat: B27

You don't really need to buy anything.

Just do some pushups, pull ups, run/jog a few miles or ride your bike 10 miles or so depending on how good of shape you are in.

Throw in some yoga stretches before you start.

If you have a couple dumbells aleady, you can do some curls or squats with those.

Another exercise is to go sailing (singlehanded) when it's blowing say 20 knots and above. Do lots of tacks and gybes and have too much sail up while you do it. That will give you a workout especially on a small boat. Add in reefing in the middle of this sailing exercise if you reef/raise the main at the mast. Then lower the mainsail and re raise.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:16   #9

Yeah, you can do a workout with just pushups jogs and pull ups.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:54   #10

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:00   #11

I always wondered why no one has an exercise bike on their liveaboard. You could hook the bike to an alternator and charge your house batteries while you sweat.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:26   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I would invest in a good mat too. The mickeymouse yoga mats are good for jokes.

I like minimum equipment as I use my own body weight to do most of the exercises. The Russian / German way they call it, I think.

b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 01:03   #13

I love keto diet for weight loss then a little exercise at home...
DeniseDArteaga is offline   Reply With Quote