Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 21:19   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Just when I thought I knew something

Seems like the most successful country in the world in terms of dealing with COVID-19 is Japan.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has announced the end of his state of emergency declaration for the novel coronavirus pandemic, with just 851 deaths reported and without ever implementing a lockdown.

No one seems to know how Japan did this. Lots of theories about how they are generally healthy people who don't force old folks to live in homes away from family; but this does not really explain it all.

Sweden kinda took a similar path but with far worse results. I am feeling like now I know less than I did before.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 21:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Just when I thought I knew something

One word. Ready????

MASKS

Japan has almost 100% mask use.

Look around the world and you will see those countries that used masks did better than those who didnít. I will stop there as I have no desire to politicize this.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profileó
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 21:58   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Just when I thought I knew something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
One word. Ready????

MASKS

Japan has almost 100% mask use.

Look around the world and you will see those countries that used masks did better than those who didnít. I will stop there as I have no desire to politicize this.
The article says 95% mask usage. The thing is most oriental countries have similar numbers in terms of mask usage; especially in the big cities where pollution is often unbearable; this has been the case well before the COVID-19 outbreake.

One other thing mentioned was Japan is one of the cleanest countries in the world; no litter on streets and people take washing/bathing seriously.

But my question was why has Japan done so much better than any other first world country despite no lock down. China has a higher death rate (even with their questionable figures) and not only have there been strict lockdowns in China but the testing has been much more widespread where as in Japan testing was almost an after thought.

I still have to wonder why Japan has done so well; and I am not buying it is just because of using masks.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 22:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Seems like the most successful country in the world in terms of dealing with COVID-19 is Japan.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has announced the end of his state of emergency declaration for the novel coronavirus pandemic, with just 851 deaths reported and without ever implementing a lockdown.

No one seems to know how Japan did this. Lots of theories about how they are generally healthy people who don't force old folks to live in homes away from family; but this does not really explain it all.

Sweden kinda took a similar path but with far worse results. I am feeling like now I know less than I did before.
Article is about 2 months old. Japan has had a resurgence of cases lately, blamed squarely on oyaji rushing back to hotspots in Kabukicho .

Tokyo is currently on its highest alert.

Quote:
I still have to wonder why Japan has done so well; and I am not buying it is just because of using masks.
Maybe a deep suspicion of foreigners has something to do with it.

Re masks, take a look at Taiwan, Macau or Vietnam if you're still not convinced, none were locked down as well.
fivecapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
The article says 95% mask usage. The thing is most oriental countries have similar numbers in terms of mask usage; especially in the big cities where pollution is often unbearable; this has been the case well before the COVID-19 outbreake.

For your edification, that is a rug. The countries and their people are Asian.
NaClyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:42   #6

Also, numbers may be skewed. If they're not testing, how do they know (accurately) how many cases of Covid are out there?

Here's a funny take on it. At one point, she says something to the effect of, "...and you should get tested - or not get tested just so they'll know that's what you died of."

It's pretty funny - even months later.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:52   #7

Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Article from the web...seems like this gentleman doesn't mind referring to himself as a rug!

"My dad, who came to the U.S. in 1969 from Hong Kong, who speaks English-lilted-with-Taishanese, who has lived in Connecticut for two-thirds of his life ó three times the length of his time in Asia ó still uses the word "Oriental."

It's always a casual reference. "This place used to be a Oriental restaurant," he'll say, as we drive by a boarded-up storefront that once was a Chinese take-out joint.

He doesn't use it in a derogatory way. It's just his go-to term for anything Asian, whether that's food, a business, a person, an idea. But I keep trying to get him to stop.

"We use Asian, or Asian-American, now," I'll tell him. "That term's been outdated for a long time." He just shrugs. I can't see his expression under his old baseball hat and clip-on sunglasses ó the type that flip up ó but I know he's raising an eyebrow, throwing a side-eye my way.

"I'm*Oriental," he'll say.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 06:16   #8
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Really?! Or may be itís your idea of PC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E1DA3E9-A5F8-4640-87F2-ACA0A588A052.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	219751  
Old 22-07-2020, 06:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Where do oriental rugs come from ? ... Could it be the Orient ?

Our mayor was slammed for using the word oriental while praising their community a few years back.

At the time he was standing under a huge sign ... "Oriental Supermarket".
The "Oriental/Asians" standing with him didn't object.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oriental
Old 22-07-2020, 06:31   #10

Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

The world is going nuts and I am too old to learn the required new language.

I have some time back decided that I no longer care if anyone takes offense at my language, so long as I know that the offense was not intended.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 07:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:

Oriental : of, relating to, or constituting the biogeographic region that includes Asia south and southeast of the Himalayas and the Malay Archipelago west of Wallace's line
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 07:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Oriental : of, relating to, or constituting the biogeographic region that includes Asia south and southeast of the Himalayas and the Malay Archipelago west of Wallace's line
I have a line ?
Old 22-07-2020, 07:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcouz View Post
The world is going nuts and I am too old to learn the required new language.

I have some time back decided that I no longer care if anyone takes offense at my language, so long as I know that the offense was not intended.
The only sensible approach in this hypersensitive PC world.
Old 22-07-2020, 09:07   #14

Boat: Vancouver 27'

The reasons are a combination of things. Indeed, the Japanese not only have high compliance with mask use, they have a high use of gloves and hand sanitation. They live on a small island with a lot of people. They understand contagion and respond appropriately.

They are a society with confucian connections. Regimented top down respect for authority and an unwillingness not to stand apart from the rest of the group and to comply with group goals is rather different than our society.

The Japanese wear a mask whenever they have a cold or flu. It is socially inappropriate not to do so because it is antisocial. They accept personal responsibility for their illness and contagion. Again, rather different than our society.

These differences have served several countries well in Asia. Seoul, the single densest city in the world did an amazing job.

As to the announcement, I have not read it. My guess is their "lifting" of precautions and restrictions, probably looks more careful than our high alert.

You have seen no unmasked mobs on Japanese beaches or heard of police breaking up parties of 3000 attendees.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 09:08   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The only sensible approach in this hypersensitive PC world.
Absolutely correct! In some places, people are actually trying to pass laws to criminalize such "hate speech." When I was growing up, one only had to worry about dire consequences from the simple act of talking if you were in the USSR, PRC, North Korea, etc. Coincidence?

Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote