Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 15:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Italy to Caribbean in November

Hi cruisers, anyone planning on crossing this year? We are Australians and would like to get back to our boat this September and get her to the Caribbean and then New Zealand, obviously dependent on ports and borders being open. Would love to hear from any other boats thinking of crossing, especially if you are Australian, because as you know our government will not less us leave our country.
Also looking for crew. Planning on taking around 10 months.
Cheers
Euge

Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 15:19   #2

Re: Italy to Caribbean in November

So Im assuming there is going to be very little movement of boats crossing oceans this year?
Euge

Old 26-06-2020, 08:57   #3

Italy to Caribbean in November

I was planning to cross this season, early December, however my plans are on hold until travel restrictions ease. My boat is currently in Spain and Im stuck at home in New Zealand. I will be sailing it back to New Zealand once life returns to normal, or at least a new normal. Im not making any decisions until we have a clearer understanding of the border situation. Its a wait and see for me.
Timlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 12:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlich View Post
I was planning to cross this season, early December, however my plans are on hold until travel restrictions ease. My boat is currently in Spain and Im stuck at home in New Zealand. I will be sailing it back to New Zealand once life returns to normal, or at least a new normal. Im not making any decisions until we have a clearer understanding of the border situation. Its a wait and see for me.

Thanks Tillich, we are pretty well doing the same.
Cheers
Euge
Old 26-06-2020, 12:55   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

We are in Las Palmas already but on a complete stand by.

I have actually stopped all prep work.

Caribbean may be locked down in fall 2020 again. Then what?

If there is another lock-down, you are best advised to chose your forced alienation spot wisely ...

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We are in Las Palmas already but on a complete stand by.

I have actually stopped all prep work.

Caribbean may be locked down in fall 2020 again. Then what?

If there is another lock-down, you are best advised to chose your forced alienation spot wisely ...

barnakiel

Thanks Barnakiel! I understand the Arc organisers will be announcing next week if the race is proceeding.
Cheers
Euge
Old 26-06-2020, 13:37   #7

Yes. Some kind of statement is expected.

Given they have already taken the cash and how the whole situation hits at different parts I assume they may opt to either run a double rally in 2021, or else what?

I will hate to see the ARC arrive here as we are almost clean by now. But sure thing, no tourism, no economy. Canary Islands rely on tourists so heavily that basically the attitude is to get the money and get sick.

I am very little concerned with the ARC though. What I worry about is what happens on the other side. We talked to many crews, some at French islands, some in Antigua, some in St Martin, etc. At places the limitations applied by Caribbean states rendered cruising impossible.

To be there and not be able to roam freely would be probably the biggest blooper and bummer of our sailing adventure ever ...

Let alone the hit my liver could take from that French rhum ;-)

Cheers,

b.
Old 26-06-2020, 13:48   #8

Quote:
Yes. Some kind of statement is expected.

Given they have already taken the cash and how the whole situation hits at different parts I assume they may opt to either run a double rally in 2021, or else what?

I will hate to see the ARC arrive here as we are almost clean by now. But sure thing, no tourism, no economy. Canary Islands rely on tourists so heavily that basically the attitude is to get the money and get sick.

I am very little concerned with the ARC though. What I worry about is what happens on the other side. We talked to many crews, some at French islands, some in Antigua, some in St Martin, etc. At places the limitations applied by Caribbean states rendered cruising impossible.

To be there and not be able to roam freely would be probably the biggest blooper and bummer of our sailing adventure ever ...

Let alone the hit my liver could take from that French rhum ;-)

Cheers,

b.

Thanks Barnakiel, its seems we might all just have to wait for a vaccine before we go cruising. I was thinking of shipping our boat to Auckland with the anticipation of our countries opening up between each other. I guess well just have to sit tight.
Cheers
Euge
Old 26-06-2020, 14:01   #9

A friend has just come down the other canal (the Suez one) to the Med. Have you considered going that way?

From Italy you can have the boat delivered to AUS easily, just two factors: one sailing the patch RSA to Perth is not summer cruising. The other factor being cost if you hire. If you sail it, it is 'free'.

From Italy to AUS you should easily find a delivery crew but shipping her could be cheaper I think?

b.
Old 26-06-2020, 14:44   #10

Quote:
A friend has just come down the other canal (the Suez one) to the Med. Have you considered going that way?

From Italy you can have the boat delivered to AUS easily, just two factors: one sailing the patch RSA to Perth is not summer cruising. The other factor being cost if you hire. If you sail it, it is 'free'.

From Italy to AUS you should easily find a delivery crew but shipping her could be cheaper I think?

b.

Hey B, no issues with delivery crew, not sure Id want to go the Suez? Might be a little shorter but Id rather go the milk run route.
Euge
Old 26-06-2020, 16:49   #11

Can't say. We only ever sailed the run, which except for the Panama Canal Administration was a nice and pleasant trip.

I have never been thru the Suez, it looks so much closer (to Perth, from Italy) than the milky option.

Maybe it is just an illusion though.

b.
Old 26-06-2020, 16:53   #12

Quote:
Can't say. We only ever sailed the run, which except for the Panama Canal Administration was a nice and pleasant trip.

I have never been thru the Suez, it looks so much closer (to Perth, from Italy) than the milky option.

Maybe it is just an illusion though.

b.

Hey B, we live in Sydney but I reckon NZ would be a better cruising option plus the ability to get to Fiji and other islands.
Euge
Old 26-06-2020, 17:03   #13

I doubt it. We lived in Auckland.

NOTHING I say NOTHING compares to AUS. At least the part we visited - Cairns to Darwin.

OK, Westcoast of Sweden (home to our boat) comes close, is different though. You get 24 hours of daylight around midsummer. Ice in winter though.

AUS IS GORGEOUS. The only place of our rtw my partner say 'hey, let's do it again'.

My gf, who is a fine art photographer, has shot a series of images titled Australiana / Digital Dreamings (or something along these lines). She dedicated these to Wessel Islands and the native people of your amazing continent.

So to say. Inspirational on many levels.

b.
Old 26-06-2020, 17:36   #14

We can always do Australia later when we return but makes more sense to do NZ on the way. We are already going to miss most of the South Pacific but we figure this virus could go on for a few years.
Euge
Old 26-06-2020, 18:19   #15

Given how very disruptive this is for the economies, I bet on some form of vacc later 2020 or spring 2021.

Once any vacc is deployed, the official lines will be changed everywhere and we are free to travel again. FOR EVEY SINGLE COUNTRY WELCOMES YOUR CREDIT CARD.

Just look how Chikungunya is now downplayed by the WHO. Meanwhile Martinique has 20x as much Ch as it has Cv.

Much noise because it is so new. But will said it is next to harmless pretty soon. Bet.

So do not worry. Just avoid getting locked down in a place that is boring, hot and humid.

b.

Tags
Caribbean, Italy, rib