Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 08:55   #1

Boat: Seawind
How to get into thailand to pick up my boat i just purchased

I bought a catamaran in phuket thailand but they have closed their borders. How can i get in to pick it up and sail away?
Old 21-11-2020, 14:48   #2

Boat: CT-47
Re: How to get into thailand to pick up my boat i just purchased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lace View Post
I bought a catamaran in phuket thailand but they have closed their borders. How can i get in to pick it up and sail away?

Well captain ... it’s just not happening.
Old 21-11-2020, 14:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Go ask your local Thai embassy ! You might get lucky but it will still cost a lot !
Old 21-11-2020, 15:29   #4

Following Sailing Nahoa latest video only a very small number of people are getting travel permits. Ask the embassy for permission.
I'm sure Nahoa are eager to get off that micro Yacht haha.
Old 21-11-2020, 16:48   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm supposing you have a valid passport. What you will require is a valid visa for Thailand. Their gov't is the best source of information on which hoops you'll have to jump through, and how high. Expect to undergo at least 14 days quarantine, and to leave your area with a negative Covid 19 test.

You should expect to be required to leave Thailand prior to the expiration of the visa, and again, wherever you think to go from there will also probably require a clean test just prior to departure, and 14-21 days quarantine at the next arrival port. Many of the Pacific Islands are closed to pleasure travel.

There is no reason whatsoever to expect this situation to change other than slower than you would find convenient, sorry, 'cause it will make it harder on you.

Ann
Old 21-11-2020, 22:46   #6

Boat: Seawind

Yeah thanks ann looks like the only way is on a medical. I can prob get that. And ill be leaving the philippines to go onward there. Arrival to philippines is only possible with a Visa to visit family. My wife is there and were going dec 4 a month there will give me time to prepare for the thailand hurdles. This is one giant journey but a great learning and prevalence adventure. And im not one to give up either. Ill get in somehow. My new future is waiting for me. With all these travel restrictions , boat travel could be very lucritive. Thanks for the response. A navy seal could get me in. Hahahahaa
Old 21-11-2020, 23:17   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

As to why morally you wish to circumvent the laws of Thailand , fraudulently describe yourself as ill etc. ....
Old 21-11-2020, 23:22   #8

Boat: Hanse 430e

This is actual, not speculation.

In October 2019 I put my boat in storage in a yard in Greece expecting to return in March of 2020.

That did not happen. The EU web page and the US Embassy in Greece web page said I was not allowed to go to Greece unless under special circumstances. EX Medical, Care of a Family Member, Returning EU citizen, student, etc. In my opinion I am none of those.

After months of watching the situation develop and looking for a way back, one morning I wrote to the Greek Consulate. They determined that I had Essential Business. I had to provide proof, storage contract, insurance policy, etc.

As pointed out above. Once you are there, there are more concerns. I have permission to enter Greece but no other country's in the EU have stated that I can enter. I can likely go to Turkey or Croatia. Right now I am under the national lockdown and cannot leave via my own boat unless its one shot to Turkey or Croatia and that's not convenient this time of year. So be careful what you are asking for.
I would much rather be here than in the US but there are concerns like visas and taxes.
Old 22-11-2020, 09:27   #9

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Why would you buy a boat in a foreign country with no way to get to it?
Well, maybe you can find a way, but seems like a big risk at this time. Maybe in another 6 months things will be different. Let's hope so.
Old 22-11-2020, 09:55   #10

Rescue mission
https://www.royalgazette.com/other/n...escue-mission/
Old 22-11-2020, 11:46   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Why would you buy a boat in a foreign country with no way to get to it?
Well, maybe you can find a way, but seems like a big risk at this time. Maybe in another 6 months things will be different. Let's hope so.
Because there are can be very good deals! Although I'd not do it under the current circumstances for sure.

I don't know the OP's story, but prior to covid people were buying boats in other countries all the time. I would think that most looking to buy a reasonably expensive yacht would certainly regard NZ and Australia as a single market.

I bought a boat in Fiji mid March from the comfort of my living room in Wellington, New Zealand (a very cheap flight away).

I'd seen news of some Chinese city I'd never heard of having a lockdown due to some exotic disease, and thinking arrogantly that 'that could only happen in a totalitarian state'. But never gave covid a second thought.

The deal was done, I paid the money and booked an air ticket to go up and enjoy my new boat. Well sadly a few days later both NZ and Fiji closed their borders, all international flights were cancelled. The previous owners were also stuck and couldn't leave to return to Europe.

Long story how I managed to travel to Fiji but it was a legitimate trip under the 'Blue Lanes' scheme. Now I am on my boat but stuck in Fiji with no where realistically to go.
Old 22-11-2020, 12:13   #12

Talk to the Thai embassy. You can get a visa but it comes with a 14 day quarantine.

This is a true quarantine. They have official hotels certified for the service. They will pick you up at the airport and you stay in your room for 14 days. It's not cheap (particularly by normal Thai pricing).

Below are a couple links related to the process. The first if the Thai Embassy. The second is a youtube of a local expat visiting one of the official hotels just prior to the start of the program.

Supposedly, they are looking at dropping the quarantine to 10days shortly.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel/a...n-thailand.php

Old 22-11-2020, 12:27   #13

Boat: Lagoon 39

I have property in Thailand and many friends both Thai and Farang and can tell you it’s going to be extremely complicated if at all possible for you. At this point I guess you are willing to gamble even more since you already bought the boat but be prepared to lose any kind of savings you thought you had made on purchase price and possibly not get to your boat for a long while more. You can always try to use your network if any of it has massive powers within the government, army or police, but that is no guarantee and even if you do everything by the book be prepared to get deported or asked to pay very large unexplained fines to shorten your time in the airport jails.
In short if you can I highly recommend you wait for a year or so before you go. Hopefully by then things will have gotten better.
Old 22-11-2020, 12:39   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lace View Post
Sail away to where? Fiji is the only place open right now and it's in the wrong direction.
Old 22-11-2020, 14:32   #15

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Similar issue - In January we went to Langkawi, Malaysia and purchased Tana Vika.
Returned to NZ thinking that we would be back in Malaysia a few months later

Then Covid arrived and life changed

Ce la vie

I am now hoping that early next year will be possible to travel otherwise will have to think of another plan
Maybe Aussie will let us in and I can get a delivery to Darwin - some plan will make sense

stay safe seafarers