Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 06:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Fla Covid vaccines

Some and a growing number of Fla counties are now requiring proof of residency to get Covid vaccine..
Old 20-01-2021, 06:29   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Fla Covid vaccines

And it’s over 65 and healthcare workers only anyway. So useless for many.

Just also heard they don’t seem to have the required second shot for people who already had the first.

Looking like a terrible roll out here. I expected nothing less. Lol
Old 20-01-2021, 06:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Some and a growing number of Fla counties are now requiring proof of residency to get Covid vaccine..

As a Canadian, I was shocked when I read they had given the vaccine to some snowbirds. We were told not to go south this year... people ignoring those warnings shouldn't be rewarded by FL. Take care of your own first and not the rule flouters!
Old 20-01-2021, 06:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

Just also heard they don’t seem to have the required second shot for people who already had the first.

Every statement incorrect.

My parents have gotten their vaccine, 2nd appointment made and they are not health care workers.

Incorrect statements, I expect nothing less.

Yawn.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
As a Canadian, I was shocked when I read they had given the vaccine to some snowbirds. We were told not to go south this year... people ignoring those warnings shouldn't be rewarded by FL. Take care of your own first and not the rule flouters!
I'm neither over 65, nor in the health care industry so I'm not eligible for a vaccine at this point, however....

Crossing an international border is a bit different than interstate travel, so you're not really comparing apples to apples. You also may want to define snowbird. I'm a snowbird and own a home in Florida, however Florida is not my legal residence. When I'm on my boat, I'm 'Home'. When I'm in Florida, I'm 'home'. Legal residency is a paperwork concept. Are you suggesting that I not go to a house that I own?? For some people 'Home' is.....complicated.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...revard-county/

We just got authorization at 11:15 this morning [01/20/2021] that if you do not own a home in the state of Florida, you need to get a shot somewhere else. Many other states are flying down here just to get the vaccine then flying back home...... You have to present a driver’s license, a power bill or something that says you’re a resident here in the state of Florida.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:08   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

This seems like another of the many misinformation threads.

Virtually no states have a residency requirement. Florida has vaccinated over 1 million people thus far. Only 4% of those vaccinated haven’t received their second shot yet.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:14   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I was surprised to read about this as well, but just as it's up to each jurisdiction to manage their own borders, so too is it up to each sovereign region to decide how to allocate limited resources like vaccines.

It appears Florida has set a benchmark of residency or property ownership to receive the vaccine. The virus doesn't care where you currently live, so given the fact that they're allowing snowbirds to come (despite supposedly closing the CAN/US border to recreational travel), it makes sense to also have non-citizens vaccinated.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'm neither over 65, nor in the health care industry so I'm not eligible for a vaccine at this point, however....

Crossing an international border is a bit different than interstate travel, so you're not really comparing apples to apples. You also may want to define snowbird. I'm a snowbird and own a home in Florida, however Florida is not my legal residence. When I'm on my boat, I'm 'Home'. When I'm in Florida, I'm 'home'. Legal residency is a paperwork concept. Are you suggesting that I not go to a house that I own?? For some people 'Home' is.....complicated.

We just got authorization at 11:15 this morning [01/20/2021] that if you do not own a home in the state of Florida, you need to get a shot somewhere else. Many other states are flying down here just to get the vaccine then flying back home...... You have to present a driver’s license, a power bill or something that says you’re a resident here in the state of Florida.
Snowbird (my definition) is a Canadian resident who travels to warmer climates for the winter months.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

There’s been a lot of complaints/pressure by fl locals..

..and details are changing by the minute..
Old 20-01-2021, 07:25   #10

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

So far I have been unable to get a vaccination even though I qualify. There seems to be significant under supply for our area. It seems that distribution is based on general population counts and is based on the number of residents and some estimation of the number over the age of 65. The problem in our area is that 40% of the resident population is over the age of 65, which is problem enough. The real problem is the the winter population is much higher and most of those people are not technically "residents", so may not be accounted for in the distribution numbers and nearly all of them are over 65. There are 16 houses on my street. Only 6 of them are full time residents. The remainder are non-residents and all are over 65. The resident population of our county is about 180,000 of which 40%(72000) are over 65. It seems as though my street is pretty typical of the resident/nonresident population ratio but lets just assume it's a bit high and that 50% is more representative and that all of those people are over 65 then another 90,000 seniors are added to our winter population for a total of 162000 seniors. As of last Friday a total of 2800 inoculations had been given in our county. Most of these have gone to healthcare workers. That was 3 weeks into the distribution process. Even if we assume that they were all now available for seniors at a a rate of 900 inoculations a week it will take 3.5 years to even get the seniors their first shot let alone two.

I believe there is an additional political problem. Our county is pretty much middle class and though heavily tilted to the party currently in power in the state, it probably does not contribute much to the party financially. Oddly enough there is county not too far away that is known for its wealth and large contributions to the current party in power. Funny that the local news is all about the great covid vaccination program going on in that county and how many distribution points they had available (our county has 1). Of course our politicians would never plan on distributing the vaccine based on where their biggest donors were located. Just saying.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:36   #11

Quote:
Snowbird (my definition) is a Canadian resident who travels to warmer climates for the winter months.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbird_(person)

A bit ethnocentric. (All elephants are grey, therefore all things grey are elephants.)

While it's true that Canadians travelling south for the winter are snowbirds, that concept is not exclusive to Canadians.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:46   #12
Marine Service Provider

..can only blame those that specifically fly/drive here and than leave souly to get the vaccine is what caused the change..
Old 20-01-2021, 08:05   #13

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
We used to call the folks from Minnesota and the Dakotas who wintered in Arizona “Snowbirds”.
Old 20-01-2021, 08:40   #14

At least one Florida county requires that you be a resident of that county to get the shot. Excerpt from vaccination email:

"Please remember: Healthcare workers with direct patient care (must show work ID and clay county residency or work address, Individuals 65 and older (must show ID with clay county address)"
Old 20-01-2021, 08:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

Lol ?