Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 14:00   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Europeans entering Guatemala

mexico changes hourly and as they see fit. some ports closed some open
best of luck.
might wanna check panama canal status as i have seen words from there or about there and must check source which also changes hourly or so.....
Old 27-03-2020, 07:57   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

They are adding more flights from GUA to the US. It sounds like the ones being organized by the embassy are a little chaotic, the commercial flights seem Ok, but you end up in Miami.
It sounds like a ground trip to the MX borders then flying to Mexico City then to the US is working OK too.
Old 01-04-2020, 16:30   #18

It sounds like everybody who was in Rio Dulce and wanted to fly out has. There are also about 150 boats out there somewhere, trying to get back into the Rio Dulce.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:54   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
It sounds like everybody who was in Rio Dulce and wanted to fly out has. There are also about 150 boats out there somewhere, trying to get back into the Rio Dulce.
Mexico would be an obvious destination for them. I cant fathom why MX still has their borders open.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

By June 1 there will only be 5% of the population in the US with immunity. So everyone will have to stay inside until there's a vaccine or eventually go outside and see if they can still have an income or career and maybe get a little sick.

So maybe Mexico is just looking to keep the ball rolling, just a bit slower like Sweden and Linton Bay
Old 02-04-2020, 06:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Mexico would be an obvious destination for them. I cant fathom why MX still has their borders open.
As far as I can tell from talking to cruisers all over CA, seems Mexico is it if you want to go somewhere other than where your at. We are still locked down in Honduras with 21 other boats, all is well. We can leave anytime we want but we won't get back in.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:50   #22

There are not many places in MX to go. Puerto Aventuras is very crowded and would fill up quick. Also there is no place to check in. Puerto Morelos might be OK. Isla would be the only other place.
Old 02-04-2020, 15:10   #23
Marine Service Provider

There are plenty of spots along Carib side of Mexico and May is still a pretty safe month. Would not linger any longer if you can't get in the Rio before the end of May??
Probably just as safe in Honduras hurricane wise
Old 03-04-2020, 05:52   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There are plenty of spots along Carib side of Mexico and May is still a pretty safe month. Would not linger any longer if you can't get in the Rio before the end of May??
Probably just as safe in Honduras hurricane wise
There really aren't, and Honduras won't let you in.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:01   #25
Marine Service Provider

In late 2004 with a 2m draft, we stopped at 5 anchorages south of Isla Mujeres and didn't go to any marinas. Shallow draft have a few more options.
Pull out a chart!
Old 03-04-2020, 06:04   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
In late 2004 with a 2m draft, we stopped at 5 anchorages south of Isla Mujeres and didn't go to any marinas. Shallow draft have a few more options.
Pull out a chart!
There are lots of anchorages, but only a few POE's.

Most of the anchorages are remote so could likely go unmolested by officials for a while (Im not suggesting to not clear in, but it could go undetected).
Old 03-04-2020, 06:07   #27
Marine Service Provider

Is Xcalak still a entry port? I believe we checked out for Belize there, but can't remember. It's an extra 160 miles to stop in Mexico anyway so will keep a close eye on situation.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:08   #28

[QUOTE=Boatguy30;3108233]Is Xcalak still a entry port? I believe we checked out for Belize there, but can't remember.

There is a port captains office but they don't provide any check in or out services, but the town now has WiFi. I've heard of people getting over to Chetumal somehow, and checking in/out there.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:31   #29

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

[QUOTE=Ecos;3108350]
Quote:
Is Xcalak still a entry port? I believe we checked out for Belize there, but can't remember.

There is a port captains office but they don't provide any check in or out services, but the town now has WiFi. I've heard of people getting over to Chetumal somehow, and checking in/out there.

We did the chetumal thing, solely because we had been working with old information regarding the ability to clear in/out in xcalak.

I would not recommend it.

A more viable option may be Mahaual, although as I understand the officials are only there to coincide with the cruise schedule.

Doing it again, I’d clear out of Isla Mujeres and stop for a day or two in the bays as a part of my transit south.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:02   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Pull out a chart!
Punta Allen, and the bay it is in is an option, and there is another protected bay is to the south. Mahahual offers no protection. Xcalak is a dangerous entrance. Cozumel is an easy stop and not hard to clear out there. Puerto Aventuras is perilous to enter with any kind of SE swell, you can enter the south entrance more easily, no marina just a small turning basin but ok for a rest. Progresso (near Merida has marinas and could be an option for boat storage. Are you thinking of heading south Boatguy?

Tags
Europe, Guatemala, rope