Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 19:52   #31

Boat: Ta Chiao, CT-56
Re: Cruising from Spain to Turkey during this virus?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Reference link:
https://www.ibsalut.es/es/viajar-a-baleares/

Recommend you schedule a meeting with a Spanish consulate or embassy to see if you can obtain a visa. That could take considerable time, start ASAP.

WHY DO YOU TRAVEL TO THE BALEARIC ISLANDS DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
Thank you very much!
Doug
Old 09-03-2021, 19:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If headed East I don't get why you first want to go West to Valencia.. just to coast hop along Spain, France and Italy will be complicated the way things are in the EU despite the 'optimism' (unfounded) over the vaccine Rollout.
Better to just go East and your in Sardinia in a couple of days.. Down the coast and hop across to Sicily, follow the South coast and anchor up in Syracuse for a nice Southerly weather window to beam reach to Patra where you can get an agent to handle your passage through the Corinth etc.
Personally I have never bothered with agents but as an American it may be a good idea.
We're really hoping for the conditions to be better as the summer progresses, given the prolific vaccinations. We'll be starting (taking delivery) at the start of May. Perhaps we'll be just ahead of the tourists, yet be right there for the cracking open of the 'doors'.
And, this is a once in a lifetime adventure.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:59   #33

Until the USA and Canada open up their countries to the EU, I don't see the EU opening up their borders to us northern Americans.

The vaccine roll out in Europe is much slower than in the USA and in the UK.

I suspect that the allowance of an end of April arrival to be optimistic at best for non-essential travel purposes. Recreational cruising is about as non-essential as non-essential gets.

I recommend that as Plan A that you make arrangements now for delivery and acceptance of your boat to occur in your absence by a qualified agent and for it to be placed securely on the hard under a qualified and detailed maintenance contract. Plan B is that you can actually arrive to be there upon delivery to see to its acceptance, that likely will require fulfilling a period of quarantine locked in a hotel which means you will need to arrive earlier than your vessel if you wish to partake in its discharge from the transport ship.

Your avatar notes that your vessel is a CT-56, that is a wonderful craft, not many of that model produced.

Plan C is that you can stay and make for local provisioning and fitting out so as to be able to at least voyage locally within the archipelago.

Plan D is that you can depart the archipelago and voyage in Spain proper.
Plan E is that you can voyage to select other countries. Plan E1 starts and turns for the worst, is that you can and do voyage to select other countries, then lockdowns arise and renewed travel restrictions cause you to quarantine in place on your boat where you are for extended periods of time.
Plan F is that things go sideways or downhill [a variant arises and we go back in a pandemic all over again] and you need to put your boat up on the hard wherever you are at, and try to repatriate to the States.
Plan H is that the pandemic winds down and the virus is just endemic, but not widely community spread and a degree of normality returns.

Realistically, next year is a much more assured timeframe for your adventure of a lifetime, completed between April 2022 through to June or July 2022.

But note that you can only be in the Schengen countries for a cumulative total of 90 days in any rolling period of 180 days and that clock begins upon your first arrival to the EU. So plan a voyage that works around that short stay limitation. Croatia and Turkey are not a part of the Schengen territories so time spent in those places is not on the Schengen clock, but be sure to have your passport processed whenever you do depart the Schengen so as to stall the tolling of the short stay visa time period. Failure to properly exit a country or the Schengen can be adverse as they will not have record of your departure and if you return, they will be looking at their records and say WTF???

There are many online Schengen calculators that will aid you in keeping your rolling 90 days in any 180 day period status, be sure you leave before the 90 days entitlement is used up, else you may be fined and / or prohibited from reentry. Reference link to one such rolling calculator: https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/vis...or.htm?lang=en

Croatia has not yet joined the Schengen but also has a 90 days in 180 days limitation of its own.

All the best.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:21   #34

Quote:
Until the USA and Canada open up their countries to the EU, I don't see the EU opening up their borders to us northern Americans.

The vaccine roll out in Europe is much slower than in the USA and in the UK.

Croatia has not yet joined the Schengen but also has a 90 days in 180 days limitation of its own.

All the best.
We are planning on applying for a 'Temporary Residence Permit' in Croatia.
Those are initially good for a year and can be extended.

We will have to leave Croatia, (sail to Montenegro?), before 18 months is up, to avoid the EU VAT tax of our boat - Check out of Croatia, check into Montenegro, than check back into Croatia.

You pointed out many potential scenarios which could complicate our plans.
We will not have our vessel delivered if we can't be there to receive it.

From there, we will be adaptive and wouldn't mind quarantining onboard our vessel, as we have heard some seafarers have had to do.

Thank you,
Doug
Old 10-03-2021, 09:55   #35

Spanish Embassy and consulates in the USA.

If you would like to apply for Schengen visa then you will need to apply at a consulate that has jurisdiction of the region of your US residency.

Reference link.

https://www.immihelp.com/spanish-emb...ying%20Islands.

Glad you are aware of the temporary admission of the vessel into the EU. As to Montenegro. The accession negotiations with between the EU and Montenegro began on 29 June 2012. With all the negotiating chapters opened [seven key priorities], the country enjoys a widespread support among EU members' officials, and accession of the country to the EU is considered possible by 2025. In its 2016 assessment of the accession progress, European Commission has identified Montenegro as having the highest level of preparation for membership among the negotiating states.

All the best.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:54   #36

Quote:
Spanish Embassy and consulates in the USA.

If you would like to apply for Schengen visa then you will need to apply at a consulate that has jurisdiction of the region of your US residency.

Reference link.

https://www.immihelp.com/spanish-emb...ying%20Islands.

Glad you are aware of the temporary admission of the vessel into the EU. As to Montenegro. The accession negotiations with between the EU and Montenegro began on 29 June 2012. With all the negotiating chapters opened [seven key priorities], the country enjoys a widespread support among EU members' officials, and accession of the country to the EU is considered possible by 2025. In its 2016 assessment of the accession progress, European Commission has identified Montenegro as having the highest level of preparation for membership among the negotiating states.

All the best.
We're going to ask for the Temporary Residency Permits from Croatia, not Spain. But, thank you very much!
Doug
Old 10-03-2021, 11:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
We're going to ask for the Temporary Residency Permits from Croatia, not Spain. But, thank you very much!
Doug
Croatia is your stated country to develop a chartering business.

The temporary residency visa with be useful for your extended stay in Croatia but Croatia is not Schengen hence if you wish to enter Spain, et. al. you are going to have to figure out how you can be allowed visa entry from the USA.

And the Schengen 90 days in any 180 rolling period limits your stay and voyaging within the Schengen. That means planning a voyage that gets you into Croatia in 90 days.

Does sound like a wonderful trip. Hope you can enjoy it this year. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Please post pictures of your CT-56. That vessel is a catch and a keeper.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:46   #38

Quote:
Croatia is your stated country to develop a chartering business.

The temporary residency visa with be useful for your extended stay in Croatia but Croatia is not Schengen hence if you wish to enter Spain, et. al. you are going to have to figure out how you can be allowed visa entry from the USA.

And the Schengen 90 days in any 180 rolling period limits your stay and voyaging within the Schengen. That means planning a voyage that gets you into Croatia in 90 days.

Does sound like a wonderful trip. Hope you can enjoy it this year. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Please post pictures of your CT-56. That vessel is a catch and a keeper.
What inspired me to start this thread, was a discussion with my shipper and their agent in Palma, who is putting together an 'invitation' to their facility to take delivery of my boat. That invitation is what we're expecting to get us to Palma to take delivery of our boat.

Yes, we love the S/V Triumph - thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TriumphNewRiver4Yaberz.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	234256   Click image for larger version

Name:	TriumphPlayboy2018.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	234257  

Name:	Cortez2019g.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	234258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	234259  

Name:	Triumph St Peetersburg Municipal Marina B.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	234260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	234261  

Old 10-03-2021, 11:52   #39

Engine compartment, showing Westerbeke 12.5 & Ford Lehman 135.
We added a Vetus bow thruster last year - LOVE THAT.

I'm installing a boom furling main, right now! Of my own design..... The main sail is suspended above the boom, horizontally with a Profurl NEX 4.0 spinner to furl it.

What I am installing for that is a gooseneck / band, to attach the Profurl to. I'm having to cut some of the spinnaker pole track out to make room for the gooseneck band.
That track is riveted onto the mast - :-(
Old 10-03-2021, 11:56   #40

More pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine Compartment b.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	234262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Compartment a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	234263  

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	234264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	234265  

Old 10-03-2021, 12:40   #41

Beautiful as I expected. So love the grand staircase with hand rails.

Indeed get the "invitation" from your delivery agent so as to provide documented information for purpose to arrive in the EU and to transit to Palma. Then with that document see if you can obtain a visa from the Spanish Consulate that has jurisdiction of the region of your USA residency. https://www.spainvisa.eu/embassies/united-states/

I'm not sure if they will consider your presence as being essential as to the boat being delivered. 99.99% of imported goods are delivered with out the consignee being present. It is not like you will be discharging the boat that is cargo on another ship.
Particularly as to the underlying purpose of the imported good being of recreational intent. Your situation is as if someone was to have a camper R.V delivered and they want to be there to drive it. Or private plane delivered and they want to pilot it upon arrival. Those are disallowed. Frankly under the existing pandemic protocols the purpose for travel just doesn't float [pun intended].

I think that if you have a temporary residency visa for Croatia then it is more probable that you could have the boat delivered to Croatia and arrive using the temporary residency visa to avail entry and then reunite with your boat.

I could foresee the Spanish saying we don't want tourists from America, so do not expect to have private goods shipped to Spain for your pickup and further transit. Ship the good to its place of intended use. Neither you or your wife, nor the vessel have any nexus with Spain. They will not have difficulty with having the vessel imported via your agent as the vessel is not a contagion. But having it drop shipped to a location does not warrant entry of its crew or owner. It can simply be reshipped elsewhere easily enough. Just being realistic and logical.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:55   #42

Quote:
Beautiful as I expected. So love the grand staircase with hand rails.

Indeed get the "invitation" from your delivery agent so as to provide documented information for purpose to arrive in the EU and to transit to Palma. Then with that document see if you can obtain a visa from the Spanish Consulate that has jurisdiction of the region of your USA residency. https://www.spainvisa.eu/embassies/united-states/

I'm not sure if they will consider your presence as being essential as to the boat being delivered. 99.99% of imported goods are delivered with out the consignee being present. It is not like you will be discharging the boat that is cargo on another ship.
Particularly as to the underlying purpose of the imported good being of recreational intent. Your situation is as if someone was to have a camper R.V delivered and they want to be there to drive it. Or private plane delivered and they want to pilot it upon arrival. Those are disallowed. Frankly under the existing pandemic protocols the purpose for travel just doesn't float [pun intended].

I think that if you have a temporary residency visa for Croatia then it is more probable that you could have the boat delivered to Croatia and arrive using the temporary residency visa to avail entry and then reunite with your boat.

I could foresee the Spanish saying we don't want tourists from America, so do not expect to have private goods shipped to Spain for your pickup and further transit. Ship the good to its place of intended use. Neither you or your wife, nor the vessel have any nexus with Spain. They will not have difficulty with having the vessel imported via your agent as the vessel is not a contagion. But having it drop shipped to a location does not warrant entry of its crew or owner. It can simply be reshipped elsewhere easily enough. Just being realistic and logical.
We are not representing an interest in being Tourists. We are literally establishing a business in Croatia. www.TriumphCharters.com This shipper does not deliver to Croatia.

Thanks for the input -
Doug
Old 10-03-2021, 13:25   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
We are not representing an interest in being Tourists. We are literally establishing a business in Croatia. www.TriumphCharters.com This shipper does not deliver to Croatia.

Thanks for the input -
Doug
Okay, I understood as to Croatia becoming the place for your future business.

But presently you are going to need valid essential nexus to Spain to gain entry visa into Spain and specifically to transit to the archipelago province, or any other EU country. Importing a good to a country that has no nexus with you or your business or with your goods just does not seem to suffice as to reason for your arrival when the country and the world are operating under pandemic protocols.

Croatia has a massive coast line with many ports, quite certain that marine transported cargo can be delivered into that country. Your boat would not be the first yacht to arrive in Croatia.

Who is allowed to travel to the EU?

The Council of the European Union has recommendations indicating which third-country nationals (i.e. non-EU citizens) should be allowed entry for non-essential travel (i.e. tourism), among other things. The list is reviewed and updated regularly based on predefined objective criteria, “including the health situation, the ability to apply containment measures during travel, and reciprocity considerations, taking into account data from relevant sources such as the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control and the World Health Organisation,” according to the European Commission.

As of the last update of the list (released on January 28, 2021), Member States are encouraged to gradually lift travel restrictions for the residents of the following countries (i.e. so that they may enter for non-essential travel):

Australia
New Zealand
Rwanda
Singapore
South Korea
Thailand
China, including the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao, subject to confirmation of reciprocity

Are there exemptions?

Yes. For non-EU citizens from a country not listed above (like Americans), there are exemptions from the restrictions for what has been deemed essential travel. This includes students, healthcare professionals, passengers in transit, some family members (“passengers travelling for imperative family reasons”), among others. Each country within Europe defines its own specific criteria for what qualifies as essential travel.

Croatia:

On 13th of January 2021, the Civil Protection Headquarters of the Republic of Croatia issued a Decision temporarily prohibiting and restricting the crossing of persons across all border crossing points of the Republic of Croatia (NN 3/21, 4/21, 8/21 i 14/21, 20/21). However, in accordance with the guidelines of the competent authorities, exceptions have been made as follows:
Reference for English language details:
https://mup.gov.hr/uzg-covid/english/286212

Spain and Italy

Spain and Italy are two countries that are heavily affected by the new COVID-19 waves in Europe. Only Americans who fall under the ‘exemptions’ are able to fly to these European countries, such as residents or for essential travel only.

It may be possible to enter Italy as a U.S. citizen if you are arriving from within one of the designated countries in the EU, and you have been there for at least 14 days and provide a negative coronavirus test taken within the last 48 hours. Make sure to contact the competent authorities and receive confirmation in writing that your travel plans meet Italy’s entry criteria.

Other European countries

Outside of the EU, some European countries are allowing entry from the US. These include: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, North Macedonia, Turkey and Ukraine. There may be testing or quarantine requirements in place, so be sure to carefully review the government’s guidelines before booking any travel.

If I’m already in Europe, can I travel to other countries in the EU?

Many countries only take into account where you claim residency, while others refer to the country you have been in 10-14 days prior to entry or crossing the border. If you travel to one of the European countries that are welcoming U.S. citizens, you may be able to fly or drive into other countries in the EU. Be prepared, though, to potentially self-quarantine for 10 to 14 days, and / or provide a negative COVID test result. It’s important to check if your desired destination has guidelines about this.

Another thing to consider is that if you are an American citizen who holds residency elsewhere that is on Europe’s green list, there is a chance you’ll be able to enter. You’ll have to provide the necessary documentation and proof of your country of residence. Either way, always confirm the border restrictions of the specific country before booking travel.

EU countries have agreed on a coordinated approach to the restriction of free movement within the EU in response to the coronavirus pandemic. This includes a colour code for the classifications of regions - green, orange, yellow and grey - based on the epidemiological situation there. They also agreed on common criteria that they should apply when deciding whether to introduce travel restrictions, a common approach for travelers from ‘red areas’ (testing and self-quarantine), as well as on providing more clear and timely information to the public. Reference map for indication of the epidemiological colour code for the specific country or province of relevance to your travels, this is updated frequently - as linked here:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ESP/5006
Old 10-03-2021, 13:33   #44

Montanan, do you have recent actual experience how Spain is handling those travel restriction cases?

Italy won't be a problem, as the original Poster will just transit, Croatia seems to be also sorted as the final destination.
Old 10-03-2021, 14:35   #45

Quote:
Okay, I understood as to Croatia becoming the place for your future business.

But presently you are going to need valid essential nexus to Spain to gain entry visa into Spain and specifically to transit to the archipelago province, or any other EU country. Importing a good to a country that has no nexus with you or your business or with your goods just does not seem to suffice as to reason for your arrival when the country and the world are operating under pandemic protocols.

Croatia has a massive coast line with many ports, quite certain that marine transported cargo can be delivered into that country. Your boat would not be the first yacht to arrive in Croatia.

]
Montanan - Are you in Europe? I also have access to these posts, but, I was more interested in first hand experiences of Americans trying to cruise through these countries rather than your interpretation of the current posts from countries.
Thank you!
Doug

Tags
cruising, Spain, Turkey