Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 11:58   #1
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
COVID19 Risk incentivization with insurance and marina

So I have an interesting scenario right now with the Polish marina my boat is at and my insurance company, Pantaenius.

During the Autumn I didn't feel that the crane operation or the club members at the marina hauled the boat up safely, only after being able to accomplish this on the 2nd attempt (and with sharp tilt no less, requiring ~10 people). They hire a portable lorry-crane with retracting legs and they really made an unprofessional job in the air and on the cradle itself.

I will not be travelling there in April to launch at their specified date for obvious reasons and they have told me that they require the boat to be moved until June/July when I intend to arrive. I will have been vaccinated at this time. When discussing this with the increasingly rude and unfriendly 'vice commander'/treasurer of the club I got this response asking for an exemption from them moving my boat in the meantime while I'm not there:
Quote:
Space your boat stays now? during the season the boats stay on water, and there is no possiblity that some boat stays so close to harbour. As it is not comfortable for users of boat to have calm when someone prepers the boat over they heads.
I hope you understand.
So...essentially comfort over safety...for a person that won't be there working on his boat and incurring more work for the club members in the move operation? Odd. Everything from this point on has felt quite hostile on his part, but I won't bore you...

In addition, it seems that the marina and Pantaenius are insisting / incentivizing the need for non-essential travel - and why wouldn't they, their entire business model is focused around risk. From Pantaenius after seeking advice:
Quote:
The raging pandemic does create a lot of problems and obstacles for all of us, but the pandemic was well known when you put your boat on dry land in Poland.

According to the conditions you are responsible for taking care of your boat(or to have someone to do it for you), no matter where you leave it or for how long.
and

Quote:
It is quite normal that they sometimes move the boats stored on land due to that some boats will be launched ahead of others in respect to the order that they were hauled.
My advice is that you prepare yourself for taking the trip to Poland in order to collect your boat on the date given by the marina, if you are concerned about how they handle the boat, you should not have it stored there.
Yes, I knew in the Summer months the pandemic was not as bad as it is now and that does involve putting myself at risk, but *not* the boat's safety. In addition I left Poland around the time that the UK variants and others started cropping up due to their handling of the situation. Why are people insisting to break / stretch the rules, guidelines and personal safety?

While I support Pantaenius response and understand their position, I can't agree with the notion of 'taking the trip to Poland' to collect the boat as they are suggesting.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else has had such circumstances with their insurance and marina during this time or in general over the years?

Tags
insurance