Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 13:11   #106

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Why is CF such a hot bed for anti-science, anti-vax, anti-expertise? It's absolutely fascinating...

It's great to see the vast majority here are still grounded in reality, but it really does amaze me the disproportionate number of folks who have fallen off the logic wagon. Why so many on CF? Or is it just that they're louder?

Couple of things are at play I think.

One, the cruising lifestyle will definitely attract more independent minded people, folks that don't want to 'buy' what 'they' are selling, so to speak. Most of us have some of that attitude, I know you and I do, but for some, they reject everything society has to offer, including science. So proabably a higher than average proportion of cruising folks would be anti-science. (Although they'll happily use their GPS to sail in to cell phone range to log on to internet sites to tell every how science is bunk.)

Also complaints are always the loudest voices. Kind of like negative restaurant (remember those) reviews. Most reasonable folks just shake their heads a bit and 'swipe up' to maybe see the next bit of USEFUL information a thread like this might provide.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 26-01-2021, 13:13   #107

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Why is CF such a hot bed for anti-science, anti-vax, anti-expertise? It's absolutely fascinating...

It's great to see the vast majority here are still grounded in reality, but it really does amaze me the disproportionate number of folks who have fallen off the logic wagon. Why so many on CF? Or is it just that they're louder?
Have you had a look around any of the marinas in, say, Florida filled with cruisers or those fixing up their boats to cruise? LOL

Nuff said.
Old 26-01-2021, 13:20   #108
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
In the case of the vaccines, there is absolutely no need to blindly follow anyone. The research and studies are all publicly available for anyone who wants to read them. And the rollout is being scrutinized to a far higher level than any vaccine I'm aware of.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions. That's NOT what I'm ranting about. These anti-folks aren't asking questions. They're not interested in learning the truth because they already know the answers. They're spouting misinformation and false or invalid conclusions based on what some others have told them, usually wrapped up in some bizarre conspiracy theory.

There is plenty we don't know about the world, and about these vaccines specifically. But there is a vast amount we DO know, and it's all available to anyone who actually wants to read accurate information.
That's what people said about Volkswaggens...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 26-01-2021, 13:25   #109

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I

I'm in the same 'boat' as some of the other posters in Ontario. But here's a Toronto Star article that features a online 'calculator' to find out when a person in Ontario can expect a vaccination, based on age, occupation, health characteristics, etc. It tells me that, as a 53-year-old not in a vital occupation, I won't get a vaccine until mid-September.

I really hope that's wrong--that it is 'pessimism as policy.' The US government claims everyone who wants a vaccine will have one by June. The Canadian government says our similar date will be September. If large numbers of Canadians truly are still waiting for vaccines into fall while Americans are hugging strangers again this summer, there's going to be political hell to pay.

In regards the whole "a guy in Boise who got the vaccine died" issue--this was anticipated in the media before the vaccine rolled out. I read multiple articles in which scientists pointed out that the millions of people who took the vaccine would inevitably include people who died of unrelated causes, and they pointed out that the anti-vax aficionados would seize on this as they have so often done in other contexts.
Old 26-01-2021, 13:27   #110

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

45 and healthy, so only way I'm getting a shot anytime soon is if a whole gaggle of you knucklehead boomers decide you don't wanna.
Old 26-01-2021, 14:17   #111

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomPerignon View Post
Wow -thats 2 people.
Thanks for not getting vaccinated because that moves me up the list.
Hopefully the government will make the arrangements for everyone and deny financial assistance to anyone that declines and then gets the virus because I don't want my tax dollars supporting self inflicted illness.
Old 26-01-2021, 14:30   #112

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Got first moderna the 21 last Thu site of injection by next day swollen and very hot and low grade painful by last Sunday started spiking low grade mostly decimals of a degree ie 99.2 but last night shot to 100.2 took a cold shower and 2 I uprofen spaced 5 hours. Everything registered normal BT in three hours. Just registered 99.1 so ibuprofen 600 mg so I don’t spike again.
Old 26-01-2021, 14:42   #113

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Salon46, good to hear - you're immune system is responding to the vaccine. I'm 66yo w/ no co-morbidities so my group, 1b, maybe eligible for the vaccine, dont care which frankly, by mid-late february. All depends on vaccine supply and logistics of administration. I have no history of allergies so vaccine response should be relatively innocuous, just like Salon46's reaction-site soreness, inc temp...just speak with a physician/nurse/pharmacist/respiratory therapist who practices in an acute care hospital and public health will become a personal priority for you, meaning vaccination for Covid19 will be on your "to do" list...thnks
Old 26-01-2021, 15:10   #114

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

MJGill, regarding your post as follows: "Without going into a full dissertation, COVID viruses have been around for a long time. You may remember SARS-CoV back in 2003? There was an attempt at creating a vaccine for that. It failed. That is partly why a Covid vaccine has not been a part of public discourse until this last year. The manner in which these attempts failed is very concerning as new exposure to wild virus in animal test subjects after vaccination and successfully showing antibodies caused severe immune reactions leading to death in all subjects. Read the study here. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0035421".
1. Yes, SARS viruses have been around & studied for at least 15 yrs. Vaccines fail, drugs fail - from which we learn and advance so the next 1 will be successful or closer to successful.
2. you cite a murine study...not certain what your scientific background is, but should know that mouse immune systems are quite different than ours, so transferring the pathology cited in the study to humans is massively suspect.
3. please read human data - a few studies (should be available in your local libraries) speak to the 2 available vaccines (moderna/pfizer) in the US of A; Widge et al. New England J Med; 7Jan21-Moderna; Baden et al. NEJM, 1jan21-Moderna; Anderson et al, 16dec20-moderna in elderly; Pollack et al. 10Dec20 Pfizer.... these a many other human studies demonstrate the lack of auto-antibodies to the vx-contrary to your mouse citation.
4. OR go to any professional society site that knows viruses eg: Infectious Diseases Society of America...for appropriate science/data/facts
5. OR go to any large, academic medical center and spend a few hours in their emergency room (not possible but give it a try)....then you will see the COVID19 carnage that you summarily dismiss...
6. There is no panacea only good public health practice....and yes, a mask, hand washing, distance, etc....and finally a vaccine will help...
professionally yours, D
Old 26-01-2021, 15:19   #115
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Y View Post
I'm in the same 'boat' as some of the other posters in Ontario. But here's a Toronto Star article that features a online 'calculator' to find out when a person in Ontario can expect a vaccination, based on age, occupation, health characteristics, etc. It tells me that, as a 53-year-old not in a vital occupation, I won't get a vaccine until mid-September.

I really hope that's wrong--that it is 'pessimism as policy.' The US government claims everyone who wants a vaccine will have one by June. The Canadian government says our similar date will be September. If large numbers of Canadians truly are still waiting for vaccines into fall while Americans are hugging strangers again this summer, there's going to be political hell to pay.

In regards the whole "a guy in Boise who got the vaccine died" issue--this was anticipated in the media before the vaccine rolled out. I read multiple articles in which scientists pointed out that the millions of people who took the vaccine would inevitably include people who died of unrelated causes, and they pointed out that the anti-vax aficionados would seize on this as they have so often done in other contexts.

If you think Canada USA vaccine envy is going to be a problem wait till u see the issues with the EU failing behind due to the Astra issue compared to the U.K. who are already 4x the EU and with an undiminished local Astra supply
Old 26-01-2021, 15:26   #116

Boat: Corsair F28 AC

67yo here. Got mine. Both my daughters work at major hospitals. One allowed immediate family members of employees access if they met the CDC criteria. We did at >65 so there you go. I feel very fortunate.
Old 26-01-2021, 15:30   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

OK so as I noted above I got the first Moderna shot. 1st day slight site reaction, 2nd day are a bit more sore, no big deal, 3rd day arm a bit worse but still not a big deal, i was feeling tired, low energy. My Wife tells me I had a low grade fever that night. After that I am fine with a alight tenderness in my arm.
Old 26-01-2021, 15:41   #118

From a previous item it seems that testing in the US can cost $100 or more. So is there a charge for the vaccination process? Can paying shift you up the ladder?

Would you rather see the cost for your jabs be spent vaccinating an entire village in Gambia or Madagascar?

There appears to be an ethical minefield here. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old 26-01-2021, 16:14   #119

Boat: Sigma 41

My wife and I are both over 65 in Miami where we have had no luck in getting an appointment. Demand is far exceeding availability of the vaccine. Probably will get the vaccine within 90 days so under 65ers looking at summer. Infection rate coming down but many folks not wearing masks nor social distancing. Stay away from people. Go sailing!
Old 26-01-2021, 16:21   #120

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:

For some reason, mariners in general seem to gravitate towards the Q-Anon spectrum. I try to avoid gatherings with them, as the conversation inevitably ends up in wacko territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
From a previous item it seems that testing in the US can cost $100 or more. So is there a charge for the vaccination process? Can paying shift you up the ladder?

Vaccination here is free for anyone who is eligible for the current group and no payments of any kind are accepted; AFAIK, this is also the case for other US states and territories.

Tags