Old 16-02-2021, 12:24   #376
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They missed some huge fairly obvious explanations:

Around 80-85% of deaths are in the 65+ group.

In India, only 5.4% of the population is 65+.
In the USA it's 15.6%
In the UK it's 18%

Similarly, if you take it up to 75+ or 85+ the per capita death rate goes even higher every time you increase the minimum age and the ratio in size between India and the USA/UK is even larger.

Similarly, you have comorbities represented in the overwhelming majority of deaths and if you dig in, you will find that it's generally a rich person problem. The poor from 3rd world countries, rarely get diabetes and if they get cancer, they often die fairly quickly as they can't afford expensive treatment.

If you look at much of SE Asia, Africa and other relatively poor countries, you see a similar effect. They have a young population and in a harsh environment many do not develop comorbities related to wealth or they have already died from the comorbidities that are not related to wealth. The result is you have a population that is far less susceptible, particularly to hospitalization and death due to corona.

The mild or asymptomatic cases are likely just under reported to a greater degree...particularly if you are talking about the people living in the slums.

On a per captia basis, the more developed countries have a drastically larger at risk from this disease because of population demographics.

Of course, there is a small wealthy population in India (and other poor countries), so they aren't completely immune to deaths and it may not explain 100% of the difference but it explains a lot of it.
That is a good analysis. Thanks.
Old 18-02-2021, 06:40   #377

Apparently, it's pretty easy to get them where I live if you want one. I was having dinner with a couple who got theirs last week from our country health department.

They called up and asked what they needed to do to get one, and were told, "Come on by, right now."

We even have people from our neighboring states coming over to get them here, according to our newspaper, 4500 people from the state next door have vaccinated here.

I'm going to wait for a just a little bit more beta testing before I get one. A couple of people I know who got it, got pretty sick from it, but no one has died.
Old 18-02-2021, 06:49   #378
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Apparently, it's pretty easy to get them where I live if you want one. I was having dinner with a couple who got theirs last week from our country health department.

They called up and asked what they needed to do to get one, and were told, "Come on by, right now."

We even have people from our neighboring states coming over to get them here, according to our newspaper, 4500 people from the state next door have vaccinated here.

I'm going to wait for a just a little bit more beta testing before I get one. A couple of people I know who got it, got pretty sick from it, but no one has died.
Shock.. Horror..
You socialized outside your bubble...

Just messing..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 18-02-2021, 06:57   #379

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

woke up early this AM and began re-reading the Pardey's "Storm Tactics" book and thought I would see if any vx appts available in the area here in CT, USA. I am registered in the CDC's, Vaccine Administration Management System, and found an appt for this coming Monday, late afternoon, 15 miles away that I qualify for...Registration was very straight forward and finding/booking the appt was equally easy....of course, all dependent on access to both internet & computer.
Old 18-02-2021, 07:12   #380
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reporting from eastern NC. The situation is dynamic here. Have my first and second shot, 70 no comorbidities. At the time they had drive up clinics, if you qualified (over 65) you just showed up and got shot, until the vaccine ran out. My Wife was not not able to get her first shot when I did.

But the vaccine allowance has been reduced so they are now only shooting second doses and “historically disadvantaged” and at risk populations.

I suspect that once the big number of second doses are administered they will open it up once again but the regional authorities are mum about their plans.
Old 18-02-2021, 07:31   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
But the vaccine allowance has been reduced so they are now only shooting second doses ...

I suspect that once the big number of second doses are administered they will open it up once again but the regional authorities are mum about their plans.
A lot of the early reports of "failure" to use the doses provided quickly were simply that they were reserving enough doses to cover the 2nd shots.

The CDC and the vaccine manufacturers are sticking to this approach under the claim that the 2 dose regimen is what was specifically studied.

Some of the preliminary data and now as additional data comes out, suggests a single dose does provide substantial protection. There is starting to be a push to go with a single dose and give out 2nd doses later. This would get a larger percentage of the population vaccinated sooner. I believe the UK has already adopted this approach.
Old 18-02-2021, 09:00   #382

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
.............I'm going to wait for a just a little bit more beta testing before I get one. A couple of people I know who got it, got pretty sick from it, but no one has died.
A few data points to consider:

1. If you have not had an adverse reaction to other vaccination shots, e.g., flu shot, then you will not likely have an adverse reaction to the Covid shot.

2. My wife, I and others we know HAD NO sore arm or adverse effects to the first Pfizer shot.

3. The quicker you get vaccinated, the quicker you will protect yourself from Covid symptons, in the event you are infected with Covid.

4. The more folks that are vaccinated the quicker we can achieve "hurd immunity".
Old 18-02-2021, 10:17   #383

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Second shot yesterday for my wife and me. Pfizer vaccine. Long Beach, CA. No adverse reactions to either shot.
Old 18-02-2021, 16:40   #384
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There was a shipping screw up and San Diego County didn't receive there Moderna Vaccine scheduled for last midweek till yesterday so vaccination sites were shutdown from last weekend. We were scheduled for our 2nd shot tomorrow but got a cancellation notice saying we had to reschedule.

Got online to reschedule but get 'No Appointments Available' for at least the next three weeks. The reschedule process is time consuming as you have to check in for each of 4 daily time slots for each day. Gave up after trying 72 different appointment possibilities.

We delayed flying home to Kona because we were able to get the first shot and were supposedly scheduled for the 2nd shot 3 weeks later. Probably should have flown home last month. Hawaii seems to have its act together getting the vaccine into people's arms which doesn't seem to be the case with California.
Old 18-02-2021, 17:32   #385

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
There was a shipping screw up and San Diego County didn't receive there Moderna Vaccine scheduled for last midweek till yesterday so vaccination sites were shutdown from last weekend. We were scheduled for our 2nd shot tomorrow but got a cancellation notice saying we had to reschedule.

Got online to reschedule but get 'No Appointments Available' for at least the next three weeks. The reschedule process is time consuming as you have to check in for each of 4 daily time slots for each day. Gave up after trying 72 different appointment possibilities.

We delayed flying home to Kona because we were able to get the first shot and were supposedly scheduled for the 2nd shot 3 weeks later. Probably should have flown home last month. Hawaii seems to have its act together getting the vaccine into people's arms which doesn't seem to be the case with California.

It's the winter storm's I think. Canada's supply was delayed in the big cargo hubs, because of the two storms. Winter sucks, in more ways than just the cold.
Old 19-02-2021, 03:14   #386
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

For Peter O, roverhi:

Old 19-02-2021, 03:31   #387

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm 72 and in Portugal.. What vaccine.???
While the UK has vaccinated over 6 million people Brussels and the EU still hasn't got its sh1t together..
Fortunately my genes and immune system are top notch..
am 56 and in northwest france: what vaccine?? whereas boatie is a dynamo, i think my immune system would be a lot happier if the sun would come out and the artic would move back to the pole. i want/need to cycle but the thought of falling on ice...?

other stories in france - that date a couple of weeks, so things are surely (hopefully) better. but still:

-spoke to a french woman who is 81 and lives in Lillle (North) who told me that she called to every vac hub in the whole of the north of france (within about a three hour drive perimeter) and couldn't even get on a waiting list. they outright tell her that they don't have any to give.

-another girlfriend who lives in toulouse drove her parents (early seventies) three hours, to the South of France, because she couldn't find anything in her area. this was a week ago.
Old 19-02-2021, 05:04   #388
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Aunt in Newfoundland, Canada just turned 96, still lives independently albeit in a small condo. When I spoke to her last week she had no idea when she would get the vaccine, but that they were giving it out over at the old folks home.

My Mom, her sister was mike that. For a while she was taking care of some “old guy”. He was 3 years younger than her.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:29   #389

Double post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:30   #390

After a slowdown due to the Texas storm things are back on track with good news:
- Daily vaccinations are above 1.8million (7day average) with the last 4 days above 2 million.
- This doesn't include the J&J vaccine yet. 20 million by the end of March is roughly another 2/3 million per day and since it's 1 dose, equivalent of a 1.3mil/day jump when compared to prior numbers.
- EUs growth has been slower but they are up to 0.9 million and growing.

Because there is a delay from 1st vaccination shot until immunity and then infection until death...death rates are likely lagging by around 2months in terms of the effect of vaccination. So we are just getting the impact of the relatively small number of December vaccinations which were mostly focused on hospital personnel who do not necessarily represent a high risk to the individual if they catch it (but does break a common transmission pathway). If we've done a good job targeting the high risk groups since, we may start to see a disproportionate impact on deaths and hospitalizations by the end of the month as the January vaccinations translate into reductions in deaths.

Tags