Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 09:32   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Covid plan B for Canada staying closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkeno View Post
I would really strongly consider sailing outside to Alaska if BC doesn't open. You would just need a weather window in May or early June.
What weather window would you expect for heading north on tbe west coast of Vancouver Island in late May or June? Pretty unlikely you'd get anything that looks pleasant.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:40   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Greenland, Iceland, Faroes, and beyond?

Just having similar thoughts about Canada staying closed.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47   #18

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Are there any cruising areas of the world that are like BC and WA but are not in Canada?

Reason I ask: We've been waiting for 6 months to enter Canada (we missed the border closure by only 2 weeks) - and are about ready to throw in the towel and come up with a plan B for 2021. We're full-time cruisers and BC is the only place we want to cruise (currently in WA). So we're stuck in the position where we can't go north and don't want to go south (we don't like tropical / hot weather sailing - I know that may seem weird and picky, but those who have spent a lot of time in BC will understand).

If the border remains closed past March 2021 we'll miss another year (Mar-Sept) and would rather stop cruising if that's the case (WA is great but not big enough, personally, for 24 months of cruising - we've already done 12 months here), or find a plan B.

I know many think Canada will open in 2021 but I don't think that's a sure thing (and don't really want to get into that here) - let's just say their willingness to keep the border closed has far exceeded my expectations, so I'm betting on worst case scenarios now. The month to month extensions don't give us enough time to plan for alternatives. If we're going to stop cruising or find a plan B we need more than 1-2 months to plan.

Are there any places like BC, not in Canada, that we could perhaps buy or charter in? A BC replacement would have:
  • lots of trees and mountains
  • at least 500 miles of coastline
  • hundreds to thousands of anchorages
  • not too hot (40F to 70F most of the time)
  • short distances between anchorages (20-40nm) in most places

AK meets that but I'm not sure how feasible chartering there is given the shorter season. I hear Maine is popular but I don't think it meets the size requirement - it's only 100-150mi, tiny compared to BC's 600 to 2000+ miles coastline.

Actually BC has 17,500 miles of coastline.

Don't count on the Canada/US border re-opening for a LONG time. There is absolutely no appetite for it here. The US has ten times the COVID infection rate that we do and we are scared stiff.

I'm confident the border will still be closed for the 2021 cruising season. It MAY re-open for 2022 but I wouldn't bet on it. This is a long-haul thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is indulging in wishful thinking.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:48   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

New Zealand if they'll have you. And they even speak English, sort of.

We visited Ireland, Wales and southern Scotland by land a couple of years ago mid-summer. Lots of picturesque harbors. Good temperature for you but rain every day for 2 weeks, not nice on some days like PNW.

PNW has rare combination of very nice summer days and low temperature plus lots of cruising area. Doubt you'll find a really good substitute.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Actually BC has 17,500 miles of coastline.

Don't count on the Canada/US border re-opening for a LONG time. There is absolutely no appetite for it here. The US has ten times the COVID infection rate that we do and we are scared stiff.

I'm confident the border will still be closed for the 2021 cruising season. It MAY re-open for 2022 but I wouldn't bet on it. This is a long-haul thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is indulging in wishful thinking.

This appears to reflect reality of the border issue. The OP could read https://www.cbc.ca/news or other Canadian sources near the next date to reassess closure to find out.

Another issue often missed in these types of threads: as an American, you might want to ask yourself what other countries will allow you IN? It's not only Canada that is wary of your country's lack of attention to science.

Good luck, be kind, be kind, be safe.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:58   #21

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

West coast of Norway. I've attached an article from The CCA's Voyages magazine re our two summers there. But you'll likely have the same obstacles planning to travel there in 2021.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCAV-2015-Godshalk FINAL-Jan 20.pdf (1.14 MB, 22 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:34   #22

Of issue is that if Covid-19 travel restrictions stay in place between the USA and Canada then you are likely facing similar restrictions between the USA and the EU and definitely with NZ.

I just don't see being able to plan for cruising until the pandemic has been resolved.

Heck there remain travel restrictions within the USA, let alone between countries.

The pandemic will continue to come in waves and remains very fluid and travel restrictions domestically and internationally are subject to rapid changes.

In short, it remains stay at home, stay near home time. It continues to be the guidance that travel should be only for essential purposes. And that means for even basic matters such as going grocery shopping, or to work. Recreational boating remains on the list of non-essential travel.

Reference guidance to state by state travel restrictions.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...-19/index.html
Old 04-10-2020, 11:02   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Since you are on the west coast Chile would make a lot of sense. You could go to the Galapagos then Easter Island then Chile so some terrific spots to visit. Going to Easter gets you out of the Humboldt Current which is quite strong northward off the coast. Don't know if you are prepared to leave like right now, before winter. Again it all depends on what countries will admit Americans. Noonsite is your friend.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:31   #24

Boat: Beneteau 373 37'

I would second Chile.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinperl View Post
I would second Chile.
One would just need to assess the travel restrictions that were in place on the specific day you wish to travel, say to Chile which has been recommended by others above.

Since travel restrictions are subject to change it becomes a daily task to evaluate your options.

As to Chile, presently this is the guidance:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions in Chile – updated 30 September, 2020
Travel to Chile
Foreign travelers are currently not allowed to enter Chile until at least 14 October.

Only Chilean nationals and foreign nationals with valid residency visas are permitted to enter
Arrivals from abroad must self-quarantine for 14 days before proceeding from Santiago to another location in Chile.
Before departure, passengers must fill out an "Affidavit for Travellers to prevent Coronavirus diseases (COVID-19)".
Travel within Chile
A National State of Catastrophe is in place until 31 December.

A five stage plan to emerge from lockdown for parts of Chile under quarantine orders is being rolled out, and curfew hours may differ depending on where you are – find out where quarantine orders and sanitary cordons are in place
From 28 September, the government has reactivated interregional travel between communes that are in phase 3, 4 or 5 of Chile's five stage plan
It is compulsory to wear a protective face mask in public spaces, including all forms of transport
If you want to pass through a sanitary cordon, you must obtain a “Salvoconducto” permit and a “Health Passport” at least 24 hours before.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
One would just need to assess the travel restrictions that were in place on the specific day you wish to travel, say to Chile which has been recommended by others above....................

As to Chile, presently this is the guidance:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions in Chile – updated 30 September, 2020
Travel to Chile
Foreign travelers are currently not allowed to enter Chile until at least 14 October. ....................................

Wouldn't there be just a few countries between WA State and Chile for the boater to pass through before he got there? /s
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 04-10-2020, 13:04   #27

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkeno View Post
I would really strongly consider sailing outside to Alaska if BC doesn't open. You would just need a weather window in May or early June.
I think this is the best idea. The OP is already in Washington State and there is plenty of cruising water in SE Alaska. There is a good chance that Canada will reopen later in the year, then a slow return can be part of the plan. Either way there are plenty of beautiful summer cruising grounds available.

Several of my friends have made the Puget Sound to SE Alaska passage this summer so it is completely doable - outside or inside. Canada just asks you to move through in a timely manner without going ashore.
Old 04-10-2020, 13:08   #28

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wouldn't there be just a few countries between WA State and Chile for the boater to pass through before he got there? /s
Not if he sails direct......

Now... if that doesn't sell it to you as a destination maybe this will...

https://docdro.id/bO63FbL

As stated above Chile is currently 'cerrado'
Old 04-10-2020, 13:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Canada just asks you to move through in a timely manner without going ashore.

And sadly, those rules were ignored by many. This has not helped the cause of the cruisers.
Old 04-10-2020, 15:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Quite a few, but presumably could be done non-stop, about 7,000 miles from Seattle to Santiago region. Listed from North to South the countries beyond the USA on the west coast of the Americas are:

Mexico
Guatemala
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Costa Rico
Panama
Columbia
Ecuador
Peru.

Chile.

Tags
Canada