Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 13:50   #1

Covid-19 In The Water

Hereís an interesting one. I just called my normal diver to do the bottom of the hull and clean it off.

They arenít going in the water this spring because COVID-19 has been found in the water locally.

Havenít seen that one on the news. This is definitely a breaking story.

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:56   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Covid-19 In The Water

Fake news. Sources of evidences?? Don't spread nonsense.

There are traces of (dead) virus in wastewater.

bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Fake news. Sources of evidences?? Don't spread nonsense.

There are traces of (dead) virus in wastewater.
That maybe true, but my diver will not go in. That is the source. He received a message from the government telling him not to go in the water. He doesn’t want to risk it with his employees going in. I can’t get the bottom of my boat cleaned. The only one spreading nonsense is you. Lay off the fake news BS. This isn’t news. This is real life from the Hudson River.
Old 11-04-2020, 14:03   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Can we see the message of the "government"? Which one? Based on what?
That somebody tells you "I've been told"? Documents and evidences, please.

There is no COVID-19 "in the water". Full stop.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:11   #5

Employers need to use caution as they are subject to employer practices liability and also simply from a humanitarian perspective.

Cleaning bottoms of recreational boats is a non-essential task. It can be deferred indefinitely. I would suspect that there is greater risk from just being out and about gathering supplies, interacting with others then actually diving, but if an employer or an employee has concerns then especially for something as trivial of importance as bottom scrubbing then heck shut it down. What you don't know, you don't know and ignorance can be dangerous. There is a lot we don't know yet about this virus.

Let's maintain ForumDecorum on social media while we maintain proper social distancing.

From WebMd:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...d-in-the-water

Beaches, Lakes, Pools: Is COVID-19 in the Water?
By Debbie Koenig

April 9, 2020 -- When Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia issued his state's stay-at-home order, it included an exemption that surprised many: He declared all the beaches in the state open, overruling local officials that had closed theirs. Their concerns related to social distancing and the fear their small coastal communities would be overwhelmed. And experts agree, it’s not the beach itself that’s a threat as much as it is other beachgoers.

There is one small way the water might pose a hazard. Kimberly Prather, PhD, director of the NSF Center for Aerosol Impacts on Chemistry of the Environment, says there’s a slim chance that in areas where ocean water mixes with untreated wastewater contaminated by the virus, the churn of the waves could aerosolize it, and wind could carry it back to shore. When raw sewage reaches the ocean, nearby beaches should be closed to swimmers, so the risk would be to people on the sand.

COVID-19: What Not To Do
Should you visit your doctor if you experience coronavirus symptoms? What about wearing masks? Here are a few constructive approaches to get through this pandemic.

ABOUT
Coronavirus has been found in feces, which can wind up in the waterways from untreated wastewater or after a large storm, when rainwater carries it in. Researchers have found that bacteria in the water could cause more than 90 million cases of gastrointestinal, respiratory, ear, eye, and skin-related ailments very year in the U.S.

So it’s conceivable there might be coronavirus in ocean water near sewage runoffs, says Charles Gerba, PhD, professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Arizona. He has studied coronaviruses in water and found they can survive for 2 to 3 days. But it remains unclear whether the coronavirus in fecal matter is infectious.

“I’d be more worried about hepatitis, swimming in raw sewage discharge, or many of the other pathogens,”" he says. “They present a far greater magnitude of risk, even if it turns out that coronavirus is transmitted by water.”

Prather, too, says she’s less concerned with the water itself. “My concern was that at the beach where it is breezy, 6 feet [of social distancing] might not be enough,” she says. “If someone is infected and does not know it, it is possible they will breathe out aerosols, not droplets, which are much smaller and can be carried further distances in the breeze.”

In other words, at the beach, your concern probably shouldn’t be about the water, but other people. If you’re going to take a walk or work out along the shoreline, you should aim to maintain more social distance than usual.

“The best analogy is, how far do you move away from a smoker if you don’t want to smell the smoke?” Prather says. “The aerosols in smoke will behave in a similar manner.”

Swimming in freshwater is equally safe, Gerba says. And as long as a swimming pool is well maintained, chlorine will kill any virus.

As for drinking water, Gerba offers reassurance there, too. “We don’t have any evidence that it’s transmitted by water,” he says. And in the U.S., drinking water treatment requires a 99.9% reduction of viruses. “I feel confident in the tap water.”
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:18   #6

Quote:
Can we see the message of the "government"? Which one? Based on what?
That somebody tells you "I've been told"? Documents and evidences, please.

Pretty sure you should full stop . Enough.

Do I look like I own a diving company? Do I look like I work for the state or local government that sent him the message? How could I have the message? Or some document that you are talking about? What is wrong with you?

I realize you are probably on quarantine (Most likely all alone judging by your personality) and losing your mind, but get over it.

How about this? Why don’t you call a diver in Jersey City and ask them to dive on your boat at a local Marina. Now tell me what the result is genius.

My understanding is that any viruses are encased in fat and do not do well in water. And that soap actually tears apart the lipids around the virus that encase it. That’s why washing your hands with soap and water works so well.

None of that changes what actually happened here just now. So get over it. That’s what happened.
Old 11-04-2020, 14:23   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Call another diver. Someone is willing to do it if the price is right. If your regular guy wants to shut down that's his own choice, if he wants to make lame excuses that's his choice too.

If you can't find anyone in the regular local local listings, then put up a notice at nearby marinas that you are looking for a diver to clean your bottom and the price you wre willing to pay or that it is negotiable.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:44   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chotu,

If the bottom is really foul, the boat's not going to be much fun to sail. So, I'd suggest you contact another diver. If they mention the gov't edict, ask them to e-mail you the gov't notice, so you can get the details--it just could be you are hoist on the "non-essential work" petard. Maybe you can just hire them if there is no health issue.

Otherwise, if you really want the bottom clean, and you cannot do it yourself because of your asthma, maybe your GF would consent to. If you anchor somewhere out of a tidal stream, she can work on the hull on successive days, till the whole lot is done. It can be done free diving. It takes a lot more energy that way, but it can be done, by most people, given the willingness, and the desire to help their partner. However, if you think there is a real threat from dead virus in the water, probably better not even bring the subject up.

I'm really thinking it is the non-essential travel and work things that are in your way, not toxicity of dead virus.

Ann
Old 11-04-2020, 14:49   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Don't know the facilities in your marina or if they're even open, but how about a short haul?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:06   #10

I’ll just wait a little while and do it further along. I’m sure there isn’t so much virus in the water away from New York City.

Will get it sorted out. It was an interesting thing. That’s why I posted it. Didn’t really need to guy attacking me over it, that’s just the situation here. No divers are going in the water now.

Probably was too harsh on the guy though. Sorry about that. The New York vibes are already creeping in. Ready to get out of here. LOL
Old 11-04-2020, 15:14   #11

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Depending on exactly where you're headed, it might be worth checking with a few divers and marinas along the CT coast to see if you can either find a diver willing to give it a scrub or a marina willing to do a quick haul, powerwash and launch.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Depending on exactly where you're headed, it might be worth checking with a few divers and marinas along the CT coast to see if you can either find a diver willing to give it a scrub or a marina willing to do a quick haul, powerwash and launch.
Yes, thatís the plan. I only posted this because it was an interesting development. Something that people would be interested in hearing about.

I sure found it to be a curious situation.
Old 11-04-2020, 15:22   #13

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

NY did decide at the end of the week that marinas are only essential to service government and commercial interests, not recreational. So that may be part of why divers aren't diving (and part of why I suggested CT rather than Long Island).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:23   #14

Quote:
Documents and evidences, please.

So you want documents and evidence, Okay, here you go.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here are two pictures that prove that Corona can indeed be found in water.

FULL STOP!

Now that we are entering Spring, tick season is just beginning, so what one really needs to worry about is getting Corona Extra [a.k.a. Covid Extra] with Lyme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1530889819706-af1738e791bf.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	212592   Click image for larger version

Name:	corona-extra-belgrade-serbia-august-shot-pool-limes-imported-beer-mexico-75921251.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	212593  

Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:28   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Harbor waters are full of fecal bacteria, and now somebody somewhere worries about Covid? Really?

Source huffpost? ;-)

Next thing we read is swimming in oceans is as good as taking the pill. Because we all know OCEANS ARE FULL OF CONTRACEPTIVE PILL HORMONES.

True. But who cares?

Somehow, I trust, hepatitis bug kills covid bug. War of the bugs. Survival of the fittest.

Next time water looks CLEAN enough here to risk a swim, I will clean our boat, wait 14 days then post an update.

Cheers,
b.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water