Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 16:43   #1

countries don't want cruisers buying up their food

the virus has shown that countries are shuting out cruisers. and also not wanting to sell food to cruisers at some places.
HOW about when the real food shortages begin worldwide. WHERE will we buy food,,where will we go, if no countries want cruisers and the populations are starving.
WHY would they sell you food for money?
they can't eat money.

any ideas.

yh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 19:11   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: countries don't want cruisers buying up their food

It's not just since Covid 19. The Cornell Round the World group has routinely gone in to small places and skimmed the cream off the top of the supplies, and taken a lot of the rest. That kind of cruising has left a bad taste in people's mouths.

It may, indeed, be worse immediately after travel restrictions are lifted, or they may be so hungry for tourist money input that they accept the hit. It will depend on their level of horticulture.

Maybe instead, you bring them food, and they let you anchor a few days in their waters? Popular trade goods are stuff that makes their lives easier one way and another. Expect to be generous.

An example. The Tuamotus have limited water and horticultural possibilities. Fresh citrus is very welcome there, and allows for poisson cru. So, if you have come from the Marquesas, and have traded fish hooks for limes, oranges (which are green on the outside, by the way), and pamplemousse, maybe you could make friends in the Tuamotus.

We knew some people who ran their watermaker to put water into the village well.

However, if you don't care for uncertainty, don't go cruising. You have to be able to generate some risk tolerance.

Ann

Old 12-04-2020, 03:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yh.
Indeed, in a worldwide famine, cruisers will also be at risk of hunger/starvation.
As always, Ann offers wise advice.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:52   #4

Hi

Perhaps a little off post but when we are permitted to sail, try talking to Missions to Seafarers - the Flying Angel - before you leave to see how or if you can help during your passage https://www.missiontoseafarers.org
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yh.
Indeed, in a worldwide famine, cruisers will also be at risk of hunger/starvation.
As always, Ann offers wise advice.
i think cruisers will be much more at risk of starvation ,because they have no land to grow food.you can catch fish,but will have to be away from inhabited islands. locals will not want outsiders eating their food unless they also till the soil to grow it.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:54   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've not seen any indication that this current pandemic is leading to food shortages. There have been, and will continue to be, shortages in specific areas, but that is due to specific supply chains and altered use patterns which presumably will adjust in time.

I've read about some countries booting out their cruiser populations, or even some areas where locals aren't selling to non-locals. But my understanding is that this is not due to shortages, but done out of fear of spreading the disease.

Given that most of the globe's food supply is now produced by a tiny fraction of the population, I don't see a Covid-induced famine as a likely problem. But it's certainly possible we could see other events which might have a real impact on production and distribution.

Cruisers already has a bad rep, and a negative impact, in some areas. Ann's example of massive numbers of cruisers descending all at once on small areas is a good illustration of this. It's also a good reason to avoid the rally approach to cruising .
Old 12-04-2020, 04:59   #7

see GUY MCPHERSON on youtube for info about the lack of global dimming and coming crop failures.the 1 hr plus lectures just about xplain it all.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have never seen a shop owner turn away a cruiser who wants to buy stuff with money. With money they can buy more supplies to sell--it's basic economics. This temporary hiccup, however gut-wrenching, will not change the basic principles of economics. Once the panic is over, everything will return to normal pretty quickly, IMO. Sure, some things will be forever different, but not commerce. Buy. Sell. Get gain. It's how it works.
Some countries encourage and sponsor cruising rallies because of the money it brings in. Perhaps cruising rallies ought to consult with the countries they intend to descend upon ahead of time to let them prepare--after all, they make an itinerary way in advance.
I don't rally cruise, or even buddy boat, since I've found that it destroys one of the reasons I go cruising, but for those who do this might be a call to do it more thoughtfully.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:13   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yh23 View Post
see GUY MCPHERSON on youtube for info about the lack of global dimming and coming crop failures.the 1 hr plus lectures just about xplain it all.
I know climate change will cause serious problems -- it already is. But locals not selling food to cruisers, or indeed any local shortages, are not due to food shortages. It's due to fear of spead.

Covid-19 is certainly consistent with climate change predictions about what we can expect in the future: more pandemic diseases as we continue to alter the global ecosystem.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here in falmouth uk there are reports of people being turned away from the village of st.maws on the other side of the bay, if they arrive by boat to go to the supermarket which is on the waterfront next to the little harbour!

it will not be long before the villigers have pitchforks and the lynchings begin for furriners suspected of breaking the quarentine
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:09   #11
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: countries don't want cruisers buying up their food

Whats wrong with fish n seaweed.???
Buga.. Just remembered, I don't eat fish..
Here in Portugal there's no food problems..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yh23 View Post
the virus has shown that countries are shuting out cruisers. and also not wanting to sell food to cruisers at some places.
HOW about when the real food shortages begin worldwide. WHERE will we buy food,,where will we go, if no countries want cruisers and the populations are starving.
WHY would they sell you food for money?
they can't eat money.

any ideas.
Head for remote Appalachia- by a cottage-start a garden.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I have never seen a shop owner turn away a cruiser who wants to buy stuff with money. With money they can buy more supplies to sell--it's basic economics. This temporary hiccup, however gut-wrenching, will not change the basic principles of economics. Once the panic is over, everything will return to normal pretty quickly, IMO. Sure, some things will be forever different, but not commerce. Buy. Sell. Get gain. It's how it works.
Some countries encourage and sponsor cruising rallies because of the money it brings in. Perhaps cruising rallies ought to consult with the countries they intend to descend upon ahead of time to let them prepare--after all, they make an itinerary way in advance.
I don't rally cruise, or even buddy boat, since I've found that it destroys one of the reasons I go cruising, but for those who do this might be a call to do it more thoughtfully.
Most all "traveling strangers "will be unwelcome everywhere. as travel is what brought Corona to everywhere it is.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:04   #14

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Head for remote Appalachia- by a cottage-start a garden.
Appalachia doesn't want you. They don't even want their family.
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:16   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Despite the paranoids, there is not and will not be a food shortage. Crop yields are rising not falling despite climate change fantasies. The issue is fear of contagion. It is reality based. In a pandemic travelers will never be welcome. Fear trumps greed every time.

Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cruise, cruiser, food