Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 15:03   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Coronavirus Affectingly Boat Parts and Materials?

We have threads about the pandemic affecting boat sales, but what about sourcing parts, epoxy, polyester, plywood, bilge pumps, heads, sails and any number of other item manufactured for the boating industry?

A lot of factories are closed.

How is the supply chain looking?
Old 16-05-2020, 04:53   #2

Re: Coronavirus Affectingly Boat Parts and Materials?

So everyone is able to order the things they need for their boats and get it in a timely fashion?

Trying to determine availability of resins, plywood, paint, various boat parts, sails, etc.
Old 16-05-2020, 05:00   #3

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

I'm in the middle of refitting a 35 year old Ericson 32-3 and have found that there has been an impact. For the most part the materials are still out there, the problem has been with the delays in getting the supplies, especially through Amazon. Overnight or 1-3 day deliveries almost don't exist anymore. I find now that it is quicker to order right from manufacturers or vendors than through Amazon. Defender still has most items but there are increasing holes in their stock.

As an example, even through the manufacturers, remaking battery cables has gone from a few days to over a week.

And you can just about forget about disposable gloves or other things we take for granted. Harbor Freight has donated ALL of their stock since the beginning and if you find something online, the prices have shot up, along with the delayed deliveries.
Old 16-05-2020, 05:08   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I have had no issues so far..... ordered resins and cloth from Jamestown distributors. Had it in 2 days. Same with defender. Just had a big order and again 2 days it was all here. Maybe I’m just lucky.....
Old 16-05-2020, 05:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve not found any real differences, I can still get what I want and even Amazon seems to be as fast as always (Jacksonville)
I have actually been astonished, excepting apparently for toilet paper, there seems to be no real shortages of anything.
I believe that the majority of places are working, most all suppliers are still working, call fisheries supply and in their Covid recording that it seems everyone must have they state that they are an essential business, it seems any business that doesn’t seat many people together in one room, is essential.
This is US, I have no idea about the rest of the world.
I am way over tired of all the Covid advertisements about how safety is their most important consideration, as they continue to work

It seems that many businesses have taken the virus as a business plan, many, many ones that issue loans, debt restructuring etc are claiming that you can get better deals now.
Wife ordered some clothes from Kohl’s a day or so ago, and we are being inundated by special offers and coupons, more than usual. So someone must be at work shipping orders.
I do think many are out of work and some are spending less, and that has had an effect

You say a lot of factories are closed, which ones? Even in my extended family everyone thankfully is still working as are all our friends, the teachers aren’t, but they are still being paid as they are on Contracts. Wife’s Mother is a CPA and works at home as opposed to the office, but still works.
The only real change I think this virus will bring out is more remote working, but that was increasing anyway.
Old 16-05-2020, 05:28   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've sometimes had to wait a bit longer for things to ship (Amazon is slower than normal, Defender is a day or 2 slower), but I haven't had trouble getting anything I need for the boat.
Old 16-05-2020, 05:58   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

No problem at all. The local chandleries I use are all full of their usual stock, and online ones I visit the same. The only thing I notice is that Amazon that is normally rubbish anyway for US delivery compared to its EU stores, takes even longer for delivery.
Old 16-05-2020, 06:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
No problem at all. The local chandleries I use are all full of their usual stock, and online ones I visit the same. The only thing I notice is that Amazon that is normally rubbish anyway for US delivery compared to its EU stores, takes even longer for delivery.
Particle masks ?

The only way to buy one is down a dark alley from a guy named Joe

5 to 10 dollars each
Old 16-05-2020, 07:06   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

From my personal experience the last six weeks, no issues with supply or shipping times from Fisheries Supply, Defender, Sims Yamaha, Mantus Marine (who had supply of N95 and surgical masks), and some items from West Marine. A regional supply chandelry told me they have been slammed by the recreational boaters during work during the slowdown. Now that things opening up, the emphasis getting back to the commercial guys. Even Amazon boat maintenance supplies shipping on time.

OTOH, if you are trying to buy a pistol, ammo, or optics, those are extremely hard to get. Even harder than finding Clorox Wipes!
Old 16-05-2020, 07:13   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Just FYI, looks like Mantus cleared out their mask supply. No longer shown on website. They were selling leftovers from supplying local hospitals. Cloth N95s and disposable surgical masks.
Old 16-05-2020, 07:58   #11

Wow! This is great news. Thanks for the information. One less thing to worry about.
Old 16-05-2020, 08:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Wow! This is great news. Thanks for the information. One less thing to worry about.

Anything specific you were concerned about?
Old 16-05-2020, 08:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Anything specific you were concerned about?
Yes. As I was leaving the boat build site early in March, I had looked at ordering various things through amazon and a lot of small businesses were closing.

I’ve been concerned that the supply chain for everything from polyester resin, to marine plywood to gloves and masks and other ppe would be broken or filled with delays. Designing, planning and Purchasing is literally half the work of building a boat.

I’m relieved to hear no one is struggling to find materials and parts for boats.
Old 16-05-2020, 09:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yes. As I was leaving the boat build site early in March, I had looked at ordering various things through amazon and a lot of small businesses were closing.

I’ve been concerned that the supply chain for everything from polyester resin, to marine plywood to gloves and masks and other ppe would be broken or filled with delays. Designing, planning and Purchasing is literally half the work of building a boat.

I’m relieved to hear no one is struggling to find materials and parts for boats.
Any PPE is going to be scarce (I bought a box of 100 nitrile gloves last year, clever me...), but a lot of common boat-building stuff like resins was probably on the shelves already before the lockdown.

Oddball or unique stuff that's not normally stocked might be harder to get, til supply chains and shipping get back to near pre-pandemic levels.
Old 16-05-2020, 13:41   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Particle masks ?

The only way to buy one is down a dark alley from a guy named Joe

5 to 10 dollars each
Readily available possibly because of the price here. Like Nitrile gloves €6-8 for 100 in Europe, $35 in Sint Maarten. When painting/sanding etc.. I use a 3m respirator anyway, and the cartridge have always been easy to order.

Coveralls have gone up. There were about €2 for 3M ones from Amazon, now closer to €10.

@Chotu, where are you? In the UK you can buy masks in person from Screwfix all varieties.

Tags
boat, parts