Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 11:58   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Corona virus in Italy

Hi to all, we have our catamaran between Venice and Trieste in Italy and were planning on sailing down to Sicily, Malta and Corsica in mid April and spend the season in the area. My wife and I are concerned with the outbreak of the Corona Virus and any potential restrictions that may be enforced in the future. Just wanted to know how many boats are considering delaying or not going this season? At this stage we feel like it would be ok to go but Australia is a long way to fly back to! Looking forward to any feedback.
Cheers
Euge
Old 29-02-2020, 12:23   #2

Re: Corona virus in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euge View Post
Hi to all, we have our catamaran between Venice and Trieste in Italy and were planning on sailing down to Sicily, Malta and Corsica in mid April and spend the season in the area. My wife and I are concerned with the outbreak of the Corona Virus and any potential restrictions that may be enforced in the future. Just wanted to know how many boats are considering delaying or not going this season? At this stage we feel like it would be ok to go but Australia is a long way to fly back to! Looking forward to any feedback.
Cheers
Euge

Gee

This issue is so new that your only possibly is to contactVenice or Trieste port authorities and find out what restrictions are in place
https://www.port.venice.it/en/yacht.html
Old 29-02-2020, 12:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

If you check the numbers you will see that Corana didn't kill nothing more than normal flu kilss each year. But if you are still concerned, just send someone to take yr boat out of Italy, to Slovenia, or Croatia wherever you think is safer.
In my view, this issue will fade out with the warming weather, no worries..Just go and enjoy yr boat.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 29-02-2020, 12:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Gee

This issue is so new that your only possibly is to contactVenice or Trieste port authorities and find out what restrictions are in place
https://www.port.venice.it/en/yacht.html

Hi Gee,
Thank you for your response. I have contacted the port authorities and there are no restrictions at this stage, I was more interested in how other boats are planning their season of sailing.
Cheers
Euge
Old 29-02-2020, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
If you check the numbers you will see that Corana didn't kill nothing more than normal flu kilss each year. But if you are still concerned, just send someone to take yr boat out of Italy, to Slovenia, or Croatia wherever you think is safer.
In my view, this issue will fade out with the warming weather, no worries..Just go and enjoy yr boat.

Cheers

Yeloya

Hey Attila, I hope you are well! Thank you for your input, I always have a lot respect for your views.
Cheers
Euge
Old 29-02-2020, 12:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euge View Post
Hi Gee,
Thank you for your response. I have contacted the port authorities and there are no restrictions at this stage, I was more interested in how other boats are planning their season of sailing.
Cheers
Euge

I will not be in the northern Adriatic this year so I have not paid attention

You would be wise to investigate and stay current with this fast changing situation

The present Quarantine zone doesn’t seem to include the coast
Old 29-02-2020, 12:53   #7

The Magic 8 ball says: "Ask again in one month."

But so you can make a more informed decision, let's consult with health care experts. This came out TODAY from the U.S. State Department:

Reconsider travel to Italy due to a recent outbreak of COVID-19
Level 4 - Do Not Travel to:
  • Lombardy and Veneto due to the level of community transmission of the virus and imposition of local quarantine procedures.
There is a widespread ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness (COVID-19) caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that can be spread from person to person. Many cases of COVID-19 have been associated with travel to or from mainland China or close contact with a travel-related case, but widespread sustained community spread has been reported in Italy. The CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Italy. At this time, CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy.
Old 29-02-2020, 12:54   #8

Quote:
I will not be in the northern Adriatic this year so I have not paid attention

You would be wise to investigate and stay current with this fast changing situation

The present Quarantine zone doesn’t seem to include the coast

Thanks Slug.
Old 29-02-2020, 13:11   #9

The United States State Department today elevated its travel advisory to Level 3: Reconsider Travel to Italy and to Level 4: Do NOT Travel to Lombardy and Veneto.

I expect that Australia government monitors and issues advisories in a similar manner.

Note that many airlines are reducing their flights to Italy due to lack of demand [you might find it difficult to get to Italy from Australia] and also are discontinuing flights to northern Italy due to the outbreak in Lombardy and Veneto.

Italy’s known coronavirus infections surpassed 1,000 on Saturday, skyrocketing from nearly zero in just over a week, the nation’s emergency chief Angelo Borrelli said.

The total number of infections is 1,128, with 29 possible virus-linked deaths, the Italian Civil Protection official said at a Rome news conference. A day earlier, the total was 888, including 821 current infections, 46 recoveries and 21 dead.

On Feb. 21, the number of known cases was just 17, and has jumped as infection and testing have increased. The biggest pocket of cases is in the Lombardy region in Italy’s north, where a cluster of towns near Milan is under quarantine. Other cases have popped up elsewhere in Italy, including on the fringes of the capital.

Reference link for guidance at:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Travel Advisory
February 29, 2020

Italy - Level 3: Reconsider Travel

Reconsider travel to Italy due to a recent outbreak of COVID-19

Level 4 - Do Not Travel to:

Lombardy and Veneto due to the level of community transmission of the virus and imposition of local quarantine procedures.

There is a widespread ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness (COVID-19) caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that can be spread from person to person. Many cases of COVID-19 have been associated with travel to or from mainland China or close contact with a travel-related case, but widespread sustained community spread has been reported in Italy. The US Center for Disease Control CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Italy. At this time, CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy. Travelers should review and follow the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines for the prevention of coronavirus if they decide to travel to Italy. Italy has a longstanding risk presented by terrorist groups, who continue plotting possible attacks in Italy. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Italy:

Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in Italy.
Review the Embassy’s latest alerts and the embassy’s webpage on COVID-19 in Italy for additional information. Follow Italian health official guidance and avoid government-designated affected areas.
Have a plan to depart from Italy that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
Follow the instructions of local authorities.
Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Italy.
Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Old 29-02-2020, 13:15   #10

It would be worthwhile to also monitor the situation in Malta

Huge amount of international ship movement and the never ending refugee influx
You would think that Malta is very aware of the situation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...ian.773324.amp
Old 29-02-2020, 13:29   #11

Quote:
It would be worthwhile to also monitor the situation in Malta

Huge amount of international ship movement and the never ending refugee influx

You would think that Malta is very aware of the situation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...ian.773324.amp

Thanks Slug
Old 29-02-2020, 15:32   #12

It remains to be determined how the coronavirus will play out and as to if additional quarantines and travel restrictions are established.

One may find that ports become closed both as to allowing departure of vessels and also as to entry of vessels, and / or that quarantine periods may be established, such as requiring 14 days isolated onboard ship before being able to clear immigration and customs, that is to say, not being able to reprovision or refuel until the statutory period of time has passed, or simply to not be permitted to make landfall.

As to returning to Australia, one may need to spend 14 days at the Christmas Island Immigration Centre.

The flying of the Yellow signal flag takes on much greater significance. The plain yellow flag ("Quebec" or Q in international maritime signal flags), perhaps derives its letter symbol for its initial use in quarantine, but this flag in modern times indicates the opposite—a ship that declares itself free of quarantinable disease, and requests boarding and inspection by Port State Control to allow the grant of "free pratique", the grant of license to enter a port. Due to the contagion, the granting of free pratique very likely may not be provided and one must plan for such occurrences of not being given safe harbor access.

A maritime marking color for disease / contagion is the present flag used for the purpose is the "Lima" (L) flag, which is a mixture of yellow and black flags previously used. It is sometimes called the "yellow jack", which became a name for yellow fever. It means the vessel is under quarantine.

Whereas another appropriate signal flag to carry aboard is the blue, white, red Whiskey Flag "W" indicates "I require medical assistance."

The word quarantine of Italian origin. quarantine (n.)
1660s, "period a ship suspected of carrying disease is kept in isolation," from Italian quarantina giorni, literally "space of forty days," from quaranta "forty," from Latin quadraginta"forty," which is related to quattuor "four" (from PIE root *kwetwer- "four"). So called from the Venetian policy (first enforced in 1377) of keeping ships from plague-stricken countries waiting off its port for 40 days to assure that no latent cases were aboard. The extended sense of "any period of forced isolation" is from 1670s. Also see lazaretto.

lazaretto (n.)
"house for reception of lepers and diseased poor persons," 1540s, from Italian lazareto "place set aside for performance of quarantine" (especially that of Venice, which received many ships from plague-infested districts in the East), from the Biblical proper name Lazarus (q.v.). Meaning "building set apart for quarantine" is c. 1600 in English. The word in Italian was perhaps influenced by the name of another hospital in Venice, that associated with the church of Santa Maria di Nazaret. Sometimes Englished as lazaret; also known as lazar house (1520s).

It is very unlikely that there would be imposed a quarantina giorni [40 days], as presently the self-quarantine period seems to be accepted to be 14 days. But one should likely provision for allowing for 14 days between ports of call.

By way of example, the US Navy's Pacific Fleet has just implemented a policy of their ships to complete at least 14 day stay as sea between ports of call so as to provide assurances to the port that the ship may next call upon to enter and to request free pratique, that the crew on board has in fact spent at least 14 days away from a port and to certify that the crew is healthy and that no one has come down with coronavirus symptoms. The expectation being in the alternative to the US Navy imposing its own 14 days of ship board quarantine between ports of call that the port at which they are arriving and requesting free partique of, will instead demand that the same ship remain at anchor and isolated for the 14 day period. Recreational vessels should expect similar treatment and policy of imposed lengthy periods between ports of call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-ICS_Quebec.svg.png
Views:	160
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	209758   Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-ICS_Lima.svg.png
Views:	155
Size:	923 Bytes
ID:	209759  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1024px-ICS_Whiskey.svg.png
Views:	224
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	209760  
Old 29-02-2020, 16:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a bit more here
https://www.noonsite.com/news/novel-...try-worldwide/
Old 29-02-2020, 17:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Yah

Makes sense

I suspect the near future is strict surveillance and enforcement at frontiers
Old 29-02-2020, 17:18   #15

Quote:
Yah

Makes sense

I suspect the near future is strict surveillance and enforcement at frontiers

Like in "next week". I would expect other countries to follow the U.S. lead.

Tags
Italy