Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 05:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre
Corona virus - covid 19 Gran Canaria

Can anyone advise the current situation in Gran Ganaria with regard to quarantine on arrival. I understand that it will be possible to fly to GC from the UK in June, and that Spain generally will be opening boarders to new arrivals in early July or earlier.

The marina in Las Palmas is unable to provide any information.

Any information greatly appreciated - boat owners in Las Palmas marina especially.
Old 31-05-2020, 06:08   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Corona virus - covid 19 Gran Canaria

Off topic, but important info - Please go to any other island but there, do not support them. We were in Arguineguin, not Las Palmas, but there one of the marina staff attacked my pregnant girlfriend for videoing them waking our ship. The police completely refused to press charges and began harassing us too after we complained.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:25   #3

Sorry to hear that Cap'n Black, that is always unnecessary and brings a bad reputation on the place. However I don't have any option other than GC as my cat is in the marina at Las Palmas.

Hope your girlfriend wasn't too badly hurt. Take care.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:41   #4

Corona virus - covid 19 Gran Canaria

I have a house on Gran Canaria and am also eager to go there soon to check on the house. The latest I heard was that GC is going into phase 3 on Monday 8th of June. (Some of the smaller islands are already in phase 3) then 1st of July the quarantine for foreign travelers are planned to be removed. I’m going to wait and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:19   #5

I also am eagerly awaiting to go and collect my boat from there. My understanding is no non-residents can fly in until 1st July, not sure if even then UK will be accepted but I am keeping my fingers crossed
Old 01-06-2020, 08:37   #6

If you follow thi Spanish newspaper in English

https://english.elpais.com/

It will keep you up to date daily with what is happening in the Canaries. They have applied to go to stage 3 on the 8th of June.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:40   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPierre View Post
Sorry to hear that Cap'n Black, that is always unnecessary and brings a bad reputation on the place. However I don't have any option other than GC as my cat is in the marina at Las Palmas.

Hope your girlfriend wasn't too badly hurt. Take care.
Thanks, yea, I chased them off with a hammer when I heard her screams, she wasn't hurt, they boarded the ship and tried to take her phone. Currently exploring the options for a case against the Guardia Civil there in the EU court of human rights.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:57   #8

I was sent thhis link from the TIC in Gran Canaria which provides the latest information.
https://www.hellocanaryislands.com/coronavirus
Flying out 4th July and hope all will be good!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:40   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPierre View Post
Can anyone advise the current situation in Gran Ganaria with regard to quarantine on arrival. I understand that it will be possible to fly to GC from the UK in June, and that Spain generally will be opening boarders to new arrivals in early July or earlier.

The marina in Las Palmas is unable to provide any information.

Any information greatly appreciated - boat owners in Las Palmas marina especially.

You can already fly in and out but the flights, depending on provider, can be overcrowded to the brim (Iberia). Meanwhile Nowergian flights are flying half empty.

Today, there is no quarantine on arrival. However, due to a legal glitch introduced by the central government of Mr bloody Sanches there may be quarantine in the period of June 15 til July 1. No quarantine afterwards (unless we get the 2nd wave very soon).

Yesterday 149 active shooters in all archipelago. About 5 new cases daily (all islands sum). Active shooters number still falling steadily (unlike continental Spain where it is on the rise again).

Forget Marina Las Palmas management as a source of information. They are () ignorants. The lady in charge does not even speak reasonable English. Use direct information sources, like the BOE.

My boat is in the marina and we are in Las Palmas.

Do NOT fly in prior to July 1, to avoid all if any discomfort at the airport and marina.

Cheers,
b.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:46   #10

Thanks barnakiel I confirm your comments regarding the marina staff - they seem to think we in the UK know more than they do.... OH, actually that's correct, but shouldn't be! I have communicated with TIC and received the link in my previous post which seems pretty good information. As a result I shall be flying out July 4th. Hope we can meet up
Peter
Old 05-06-2020, 08:27   #11

Peter,

Yes. By what we know today, July 4 you just disembark the flight and taxi to your boat.

Other than that stupid marina manager, Las Palmas is its normal - people nice, smiling and helpful.

June 8 our islands go onto Phase 3 of the de-isolation plan - inter-island traffic will be eased and large surface malls / movies / theaters will all open up to larger public. Open air concerts and other non-mass events will be restarted too.

We still wear masks in congested public spots (inside shops / buses) and most citizens wear them in high traffic streets, close to schools, etc (where not obligatory, but considered a token of our attitude towards health of senior citizens, etc.).

Otherwise all is good and the outlook is optimistic. The weather is OUTSTANDING.

Today's data islands: 132 active shooters left, falling steadily.

Today's data continent: numbers steadily going UP (about 70k cases active)

Bad spots: Catalunya and Madrid, avoid landing there.

Take care, see you in Las Palmas,
barnakiel
Old 12-08-2020, 12:00   #12

Most recent news from Las Palmas Canary Islands.

On the left - Spain total active cases. On the right and in red, Canary Islands Covid upsurge.

Clearly this is the second wave. Right in the face of ARC rally arrivals.

barnakiel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Covid_Spain_August_12.png.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	221141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canary_Islands_August_12.png.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	221142  

Old 15-08-2020, 09:16   #13

Canary Islands Covid development - Update August 15 2020 :

Nearly 900 active cases in Canary Islands.

750 of which in Gran Canaria, 360 of which in Las Palmas.

200 in which in the harbour / marina / port area.

You have been warned.

We are in the second wave here with the curve being near vertical. We were down to 50 cases and now are nearing 1000 cases. This is 20x growth in cases.

https://www.laprovincia.es/sociedad/...o/1308831.html

Horizontal scale - days, vertical scale active cases (total cases found by testing - dead - recovered)

Masks now obligatory in all public spaces. Smoking banned in all close spaces. Congregations of more than 10 persons banned.

barnakiel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Covid_Canary_Islands_August15.png.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	221343  
Old 25-08-2020, 12:40   #14

Canary Islands / Las Palmas, Covid, August

Coronavirus Covid-19 update from Las Palmas (Canary Islands, Spain) August 25, 2020.

In the news today: Las Palmas on its way to another lock-down, unless something changes:

https://www.laprovincia.es/sociedad/...a/1311881.html

Las Palmas has 1440 out of 2500 active cases in the islands.

Below the graph, updated. Please note when last lock-down was eased, we had 600 cases here. Now we have 2500 cases (sic!). The bars are stock full of people drinking, kissing and laughing but masks are obligatory in the streets.

Graph sources and methodology - read earlier posts.

We have not seen any relevant messages from the marina's manager, nor from the ARC (ARC still intends to depart from Las Palmas, disregarding the rapidly deteriorating health situation here).

Local moods, among those who can read, somber. Last confinement lasted 50 days. We were not allowed to leave the boats, except for going to the toilets and limited shopping.

Regards,
barnakiel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canary_Islands_Covid_August.png.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	222009  
Old 25-08-2020, 13:05   #15

Re: Canary Islands / Las Palmas, Covid, August

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We have not seen any relevant messages from the marina's manager, nor from the ARC (ARC still intends to depart from Las Palmas, disregarding the rapidly deteriorating health situation here)

This is sad and reprehensible. Hopefully the Caribbean countries will take appropriate actions to protect themselves.

We had planned on doing this very same ARC in a year (and possibly the world ARC down the road) but would find it quite difficult to support them now.