Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2020, 17:37   #151
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I got information that Panama Canal transits are cancelled for pleasure boats.

A friend passed through today on a pleasure boat so maybe not yet closed
smj is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2020, 17:47   #152

re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Think about finding a place you'll be comfortable for a while.

Mobility options for international travel, and even local travel are going to continue to constrict.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2020, 18:17   #153

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Think about finding a place you'll be comfortable for a while.

Mobility options for international travel, and even local travel are going to continue to constrict.
True, but visas are going to become an issue at some point...

Or is there some international agreement that during pandemics visa laws are relaxed?!
Olly75 is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2020, 18:37   #154

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post

Or is there some international agreement that during pandemics visa laws are relaxed?!
Exactly, where we are, SE Asia, it is common to periodically do a visa run to a near by country for a few days to obtain a new visa, leaving the boat in the original country. With all tbe covid19 changes going on you risk not being able to return to your boat. The entry/exit rules are changing daily.
Currently a group of cruisers arrived in the Maldives. They are all in quarantine on their boat.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2020, 19:03   #155

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Know what you mean. I have US taxes to pay within 30 days and jury duty the end of April. And I’m half a world away.

Trump did sign an executive order relaxing some laws in relation to the CV. We’ll see.
Old 14-03-2020, 19:47   #156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I went back and re-read many of the posts throughout the thread and saw just how fast things have been moving. Quite amazing.

I saw a tip posted yesterday or Thursday on MedCram, a teaching medical Youtube site about Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc maybe blocking the virus from spreading. They posted the dosage as well. This is something probably already available to those in malaria prone areas.

I, of course, have no idea if this works against this virus but it certainly is something that I will try if I contact the disease and get tested positive.

All the best to everybody.

DeepFrz is offline   Reply
Old 14-03-2020, 22:33   #157

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Australia brings in 14 day rule at midnight tonight
https://www.theage.com.au/national/p...15-p54a8q.html

But the '500 people at an event' rule still stands.. they say that they will reduce that number after the number of Covid19 cases has gone up a bit more

Ecuador with a not disimilar population ..18 million give or take... has not only closed its borders but also brought in a '30 person' rule .. I know where I would rather be...
Old 15-03-2020, 09:39   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post

The worst thing that they could do is deport you back to your home country. But they would first have to come close to you to see your papers.
Montanan is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2020, 12:45   #159

Puerto Rico is ramping up its lockdown policies. One should expect ever tighter restrictions.

Puerto Rico's governor announced an islandwide curfew and early evening closings of non-essential businesses in an effort to contain the coronavirus spread.

On Sunday in a televised press conference, Gov. Wanda Vázquez announced a curfew from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. as well as the 6 p.m. closing of retailers and commercial establishments, with the exception of supermarkets, drug stores, banking centers and gas stations. The early closings will be effective until March 30th.

“Amid the possibility of the virus's transmission and propagation even among people who present no symptoms, we have to take all the precautions so we don't become potential transmitters of the disease," said the governor.

The governor had previously announced public schools would close for two weeks and no cruise ships would be docking in the island.
Old 15-03-2020, 13:14   #160

Germany will impose temporary controls on its borders with France, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and Luxembourg on Monday to stop coronavirus spreading.

Other EU states are also taking radical action, with Austria banning gatherings of more than five people from Monday.
Old 15-03-2020, 13:30   #161

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that Europe was now the "epicentre" of the pandemic.

In Italy, the number of deaths in a 24-hour period reached a new high, up by 368 since Saturday to reach a total of 1,809. Of those, 1,218 were recorded in the Lombardy region, which is home to the business hub of Milan.

Spain recorded 97 more deaths and 2,000 new cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the country's total death toll to 288 and overall number of cases to 7,753.

France, with 4,469 confirmed cases and 91 deaths, is holding local elections, despite the shutting of cafes, restaurants and most shops.

In Switzerland, the number of infections have leapt by 800 to reach 2,200 in just 24 hours.
Old 15-03-2020, 14:59   #162

March 15,

Lebanon's effective lockdown was put in place after a Cabinet meeting, and appeared to only allow buying food and other essentials. But the announcement said that by late Wednesday, the country's international airport, ports and borders would close and that Lebanese citizens abroad had until then to return home.

Private businesses and Lebanese governmental institutions were shuttered, except those related to making or selling food, bakeries, banks, exchange shops and the central bank.
Old 15-03-2020, 15:47   #163

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Australia brings in 14 day rule at midnight tonight
https://www.theage.com.au/national/p...15-p54a8q.html

But the '500 people at an event' rule still stands.. they say that they will reduce that number after the number of Covid19 cases has gone up a bit more

Ecuador with a not disimilar population ..18 million give or take... has not only closed its borders but also brought in a '30 person' rule .. I know where I would rather be...

Whilst I understand that "something" must be done it still seems pretty ineffective to me.

Think of a plane load coming in and doing a 14 day self isolation.
First thing they do is walk out of airport and jump in a taxi, bus or train.
What about the driver of taxis, passengers on bus and trains, do they get self isolation as well?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply
Old 15-03-2020, 16:24   #164

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Whilst I understand that "something" must be done it still seems pretty ineffective to me.

Think of a plane load coming in and doing a 14 day self isolation.
First thing they do is walk out of airport and jump in a taxi, bus or train.
What about the driver of taxis, passengers on bus and trains, do they get self isolation as well?
Here in the Philippines, you can not go in a public mall w/o going threw a security check. They are checking everyone with a temperature laser. If you’re high they set you aside for awhile to see if you cool down. They give you 4 more try’s. If you still fail they send you off for testing.

Also, to pass in/out of the Manila area with food or supplies you go threw check points. Again they take your temperature.

The first symptoms are fever, headache, sore throat for “most” people. It’s the really healthy people that are the problem. They can be carriers w/o symptoms.
Old 15-03-2020, 17:28   #165

Boat: SOLD

Argentina is closing borders to all but citizens and residents, among other meassures, for 15 days (may be longer) . Only 56 cases and 2 dead till now
Mariano is offline   Reply