Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2020, 07:29   #1

Boat: 48' Alu Cat
Corona virus

Where can we escape to for the Hurricane season from St Martin.
In another 3 month we will be at risk not only from the Corona virus, but a real danger from Hurricanes?

Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 07:50   #2

Re: Corona virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
Where can we escape to for the Hurricane season from St Martin.
In another 3 month we will be at risk not only from the Corona virus, but a real danger from Hurricanes?
Of issue is that borders are being lockdown, no entry except for citizens and residents, so your choice is rather limited to just your native country. And in some countries there are exit bans also.

Hurricanes just add to your challenge. Would seek out a good boat yard to put your vessel on the hard and try to arrange for a flight back to your country.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:00   #3

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Of issue is that borders are being lockdown, no entry except for citizens and residents, so your choice is rather limited to just your native country. And in some countries there are exit bans also.

Hurricanes just add to your challenge. Would seek out a good boat yard to put your vessel on the hard and try to arrange for a flight back to your country.
A long way back to Australia, and Panama is closed.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:40   #4

A boat yard in St. Martin / St. Maarten perhaps. I suspect that other islands would not desire you to enter their ports, so you are probably stuck where you are at and thus need to make do as best as that place can offer. I have heard that boat yards are filling up their land spaces fast probably honoring spaces for those that had made seasonal reservations far ahead of this virus situation and then adding boats that are seeking shelter until next year. Of issue is that you probably should make arrangements with your insurance company to have coverage for your boat in the hurricane zone, a special coverage addition to financially mitigate the risk of damage from a storm. That could be hard to get given the recent history of major storms and large claim outlays. Best to get onto securing insurance now, not later when hurricane season is upon your boat. Insurance coverage will likely be expensive, if it is even available.

Don't know if there are any flights out of Princess Juliana International Airport still to anywhere that one could then arrange for repatriation, albeit there certainly have to be fewer and fewer flights headed to Australia since only citizens and residents are allowed in, hence very small demand to begin with and ever declining demand, and airlines are simply choosing to park their fleets for an indefinite period of time and it is becoming challenging for the airlines to even find appropriate storage space for the airplanes; there being very few long term maintenance hubs. It will or is a "you can't get there from here" situation. There were flights from Princess Juliana International Airport to Atlanta and to Miami, but not sure that the USA will allow non-citizens to transit through.

My brother, sister-in-law, nephew and bride are returning today from Cozumel having gone there for my nephew's wedding. Place is rather deserted. There flight back to the States on Delta was cancelled today, but American Airlines had available seats on a different flight so it appears they will repatriate today and then arrange for a domestic flight back to North Carolina. I and my siblings scolded them for traveling to Cozumel for their son's wedding at this time, so definitely not an essential travel.
Being citizens of the USA they are still allowed to repatriate from Mexico, but non-citizens or residents of the USA are not allowed back in from Mexico to the USA so I don't know how someone say from Australia would arrange for repatriating from the caribbean by air travel. My brother said he could think of worse places to be marooned for months, they had a lovely villa on the beach and the beach was empty. He told his employer that he may not get back on a commercial flight, the employer was considering sending a corporate jet or chartering a jet to get him back in case the commercial flights were no longer available. A lot of employers would not be willing to make private repatriation efforts for their employees, but they consider him invaluable. He was planning to retire this year but the company offered him three years of salary to continue working for an additional year; I'm pretty sure they would have increased that offer considerably if he had been reluctant to take their initial offer. There probably will be only a few more flights out of Cozumel, then the island will become inaccessible, to and from.
Old 22-03-2020, 09:06   #5

I believe Trinidad and Tobago are often considered to be outside of the high risk hurricane zone, certainly St. Martin / Saint Maarten got extremely hard hit recently.

But due to the COVID-19 travel restrictions one may not be permitted to enter and again I suspect that the boat yards are full or filling as to being able to place your boat on the hard or even a marina.

To get a sense of how difficult it could be to repatriate now as the window of opportunity for such has kind of come and gone, I have copied below travel advisory for Caribbean Airlines in and out of Trinidad.

Port-of-Spain March 16, 2020.
On March 16, 2020 several Governments in jurisdictions into which Caribbean Airlines operates including Canada, the Cayman Islands, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Maarten, and Trinidad and Tobago, advised of travel restrictions into their countries which will take effect either immediately or from 12.01 a.m. on Wednesday March 18, 2020.

Please visit the websites of the specific country for details on the travel restrictions.

Travel Restrictions into Trinidad and Tobago:

At the time of publication of this document, in the case of travel to Trinidad and Tobago, the following restrictions apply:

The following persons will NOT be processed for travel on any Caribbean Airlines services with a final destination or an in-transit stop via Trinidad & Tobago:

Non-Trinidad & Tobago nationals
Non-permanent residents of Trinidad & Tobago
Non-nationals transiting Trinidad and Tobago
Holders of work permits must apply for an exemption to travel
Only holders of VALID Trinidad and Tobago passports will be allowed to land in Trinidad and Tobago.

Non-nationals of Trinidad & Tobago who are currently booked on any Caribbean Airlines international and/or regional flights into/via Trinidad & Tobago, will have their tickets placed on hold in accordance with the airlineís Covid-19 Travel Policy.
Old 22-03-2020, 12:03   #6

Just received an update from my brother, they were able to get back to Miami from Cozumel. He sent a picture from within the terminal at Cozumel, it was empty, void of passengers and of airline staff, so I suspect they may have been on the last or close to last flight from that island for quite some time.

Wishing you luck and good health as to your caribbean sojourn.

St. Martin is a beautiful place, albeit not during a major hurricane but there are a few months before that season comes upon us. I suspect as the COVID-19 makes it rounds and advances in all the communities of the world that travel restrictions will be eased since the outbreak will have transcended any containment stage and thus moved beyond containment protocols.

Of prime concern for cruisers is that one might become ill during a transit at sea and be unable to skipper or crew and be away from any and all medical care.
Old 22-03-2020, 13:46   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

mexico expects a ballooning of cases y 20-30 of month march. whoooppeee we all gonna die only 4000 ventilators in mexico. this should be interesting.
i plan on prevention working and medications saving my high risk self from demise so my cats donot lose their can opener. momma doesnot need to lose another kid yet. i hope she makes it thru this unscathed

https://sksolitarybird.org/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 15:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mexico expects a ballooning of cases y 20-30 of month march. whoooppeee we all gonna die only 4000 ventilators in mexico. this should be interesting.
i plan on prevention working and medications saving my high risk self from demise so my cats donot lose their can opener. momma doesnot need to lose another kid yet. i hope she makes it thru this unscathed
Ha ha ha! Same approach from inside the States.

Being the can opener is an important job. Essential business.

As a fellow remedial lung type who excels at opening cans, I wish you the best.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 17:25   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ha ha ha! Same approach from inside the States.

Being the can opener is an important job. Essential business.

As a fellow remedial lung type who excels at opening cans, I wish you the best.
bakatcha fellow lung mung sufferer.. stay well. if sick get halp fast... you better have a great md. meouw meouw snap snap. purr purr... selfish lil furballs want us around for the count

https://sksolitarybird.org/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 19:03   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

I agree with Montanan. Work out and pay for a hard stand place. Then sit things out in the water till you get closer to hurricane season and see if Trinidad or Curacao or the US open up. There's not much you can do right now and leaving the port you are in risks not being able to return it and having no other port available.
As many cruisers are right now, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 22:18   #11

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

You can still sail into St. Kitts and put your boat in St. Kitts Marine Works. You can fly out of the airport, or even stay on your boat.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 04:15   #12

Perhaps a brief "time out" from lockdown anxiety would be beneficial. Most of the "official" announcements from Carib governments have followed similar announcements from Europe or North America. While "end dates" are absent from many of those announcements, most mainland countries are talking about confinement periods of less than 30 days, many refer to two weeks as the critical time.

If the Leeward Islands see restrictions eased in Europe and the States before April 15, it is possible (even likely) that they will choose to end their restrictions as well. I am guessing, but the Windwards might even be quicker to act.

I know the middle of April is usually a little late for making Hurricane season plans, but there will still be time. I don't see how any decision can be made now, considering the rapidly changing actions of governments.

Wait a while, enjoy the peace and quiet. There will be time enough to made decisions when there is enough VALID information as a basis good decisions.
OldSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 04:20   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
And yet, Mexico still has its borders open!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 04:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, OldSailors.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote