Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2020, 09:30   #1

Chartering issues due to covid 19

Hi members, Iím a new member to the Forum and I would welcome any feedback from the members on this issue.
Re: Charter and Corona virus
Weíre in a similar situation to many. A friend and myself, in an attempt to introduce our wives to sailing, decided to book a charter last October.
We are due to sail from Athens on the 16th May for a weeks sailing around the Saronic Islands. The problem we have is that the Charter company have referred us to the boat owners Tís & Cís, which have changed to take account of the the current pandemic situation. They are offering to transfer the booking to a later in the year, of even to 2021. Now the big caveat is, that we will not be able to take advantage of any discounts and as such the same booking in October or May next year will cost us an extra £1500. We are due to pay the deposit on the 1st April, needless to say we are very reluctant to do so and we feel that we are being forced to cancel by what in my opinion amounts to sharp practice by the Boat owners.
I would love to have any advice or hear any opinions of the members.
Paul
Paul Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 09:52   #2

Re: Chartering issues due to covid 19

Paul, welcome to the forum! Who you are chartering with? In our case it was DYC and after some negociations they issued a credit note for the deposit payed (minus 15%, because we wanted to extend to 2021). So we can use any discounts provided in the future and just apply amount from the credit note. Obviously, we shall see how it will work out, but at the moment sounds reasonable. DYC is suspending their payments to owners (which su..s for then), but it should keep them in a decent shape over this crisis.
alex_sauvage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 10:03   #3

Re: Chartering issues due to covid 19

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the post.
We booked with Sailogy and the boat is owned by a company called Kavas
I would welcome a credit for the deposit, I’ll contact them and let you know how it goes.
Paul Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter