Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 14:59   #1

Canadian Flagged Vessels Entering US from Bahamas

We are a Canadian flagged pleasure vessel, currently in The Bahamas, and we are Canadian citizens. We are planning on departing on Tuesday to arrive in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday morning. We have E1 visas -- not sure if that matters right now.

We'd stay in the Bahamas longer, but we have a disabled windlass (needing some significant fiberglass work), and a hydraulic steering leak (that is likely under warranty from a company in Fort Lauderdale).

Anyhow. I just wanted to start this thread -- to collect information about us Canadians who are in The Bahamas, and needing to get back into the US.

As of right now, I have not been able to find any information indicating that Canadian Flagged boats with Canadian citizens are prohibited from entering the US. I have contacted the US Border Protection Service via email, and when I get a reply, I'll make sure to share things here.

Old 21-03-2020, 15:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Canadian Flagged Vessels Entering US from Bahamas

You might also contact the U.S. Embassy Nassau
42 Queen St., Nassau, The Bahamas
Phone: 242-322-1181
Fax: 242-356-7174

As a treaty trader, I expect you are (could be) a legal resident, eligible for entry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 15:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
We are a Canadian flagged pleasure vessel, currently in The Bahamas, and we are Canadian citizens. We are planning on departing on Tuesday to arrive in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday morning. We have E1 visas -- not sure if that matters right now.

We'd stay in the Bahamas longer, but we have a disabled windlass (needing some significant fiberglass work), and a hydraulic steering leak (that is likely under warranty from a company in Fort Lauderdale).

Anyhow. I just wanted to start this thread -- to collect information about us Canadians who are in The Bahamas, and needing to get back into the US.

As of right now, I have not been able to find any information indicating that Canadian Flagged boats with Canadian citizens are prohibited from entering the US. I have contacted the US Border Protection Service via email, and when I get a reply, I'll make sure to share things here.
Not really an emergency, stay where you are.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 15:54   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

With the US-Canadian border closed I think that prohibits Canadians from entry even if coming in another way.
Old 21-03-2020, 16:15   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
With the US-Canadian border closed I think that prohibits Canadians from entry even if coming in another way.
No, don't spread rumours. Canadians can still return.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 16:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Thank you

People love to just share opinions... Really appreciate your input!
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 17:00   #7

Quote:

Do you mean return .... to Canada? Can they leave their boat or transit USA though?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 17:23   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Do you mean return .... to Canada? Can they leave their boat or transit USA though?
No problem so far. Cruising friends just did that today.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 18:45   #9

Quote:
No problem so far. Cruising friends just did that today.

It would be great if you could share a little bit more detail.:

1. What date did they enter the USA and which port.
2. What procedures did Border security require other than the norm.
3. How did they travel to Canada and what hoops if any did they need to jump through.

I think most Canadians would appreciate a bit more info.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 09:32   #10

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

I am in a marina in Florida and heard about Canadian snowbirds being asked to return home as soon as possible. Something about medical insurance and, of course, the constantly-changing border restrictions. The information is kind of vague, but here is a link to the information:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...ance-1.5499666

There is also a Canadian Snowbird Association which might have more information.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 13:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
I am in a marina in Florida and heard about Canadian snowbirds being asked to return home as soon as possible. Something about medical insurance and, of course, the constantly-changing border restrictions. The information is kind of vague, but here is a link to the information:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...ance-1.5499666

There is also a Canadian Snowbird Association which might have more information.
Yea, different thing I'm more interested in making sure we can get to our marina spot on Thursday morning, and get out stuff fixed
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 13:57   #12

Contact the US Customs and Border Patrol before transiting to find out if you will be provide entry and / or free pratique.

Given that the nature of your travel on a private yacht from the Bahamas is non-essential, it would not surprise me that they bar your entry for at least the next 30 days so as to be consistent across all ports of entry, land, air or sea with the same procedures for both the USA border with Canada and with Mexico.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the closure of the U.S.-Mexican border on Friday, noting that it was decided in collaboration with the Mexican government. Earlier on Friday, Trump said that the U.S. and Mexico are suspending "non-essential travel," not related to trade and commerce, education, and medical purposes, at all ports of entry, which mirrors the moves made with Canada. Trump added that both the Canadian and Mexican borders are being treated equally in this instance, in terms of the actions taken to limit cross-border travel. The border closure between the U.S. and Mexico will take effect beginning on Saturday, March 21st.

NIH representative and White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci noted in Friday's briefing that in order to ensure that border closure measures are effective, they must apply equally to all means of entry to the country.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 14:06   #13

Here are the specific guidelines as of Friday for entry due to essential travel to the USA. Mexico and Canada would have their own definitions of "essential travel"

The federal government on Friday announced it was limiting travel between the U.S. and Mexico to “essential travel.”

The restrictions will begin at midnight Friday and will remain in place until April 20.

“Essential travel” includes (but is not limited to):

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States

Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States)

Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions

Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the farming or agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Mexico in furtherance of such work)

Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support Federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies)

Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Mexico)

Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and the spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces, returning to the United States

Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations

The following travel does not fall within the definition of “essential travel” for purposes of this notification:

Individuals traveling for tourism purposes (e.g., sightseeing, recreation, gambling, or attending cultural events).
Old 22-03-2020, 15:40   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Now Montanan don't spread rumors. People just love to share opinions, those regs you just posted are only your opinion.
Old 22-03-2020, 16:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Now Montanan don't spread rumors. People just love to share opinions, those regs you just posted are only your opinion.
Well Sand Crab, if I had a twitter account perhaps I could download some authoratative tweets from the POTUS, so as to further dispel rumors, counter fake news and invoke greater enlightenment of bureaucratic workings at their finest. That was the first time I heard Trump say he was going to treat the Canadian and the Mexican border equally; okay, no more poly talk, not going down that rabbit hole any further.

Opinion: noun.
A belief stronger than an impression and less strong than positive knowledge.

A wise person once stated this opinion [image below]:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opinion.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	211060  

Tags
Bahamas