Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 05:12   #586

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Canada: 9006 deaths/121000 cases=7.44%

US: 166000 deaths/5210000 cases= 3.19%

Where would you like to be treated for Covid?

By the way, your rate will increase slightly since you lag the US in the Covid outbreak.
Good luck!!!!
Covid unfortunately tore through our elderly communities (LTC) but the more important metric here is the rate of infection as an indicator of who has a handle on things. Canada's rates of infection have throughout been lower than the U.S. Ontario (with the highest population concentration) are still in stages of opening the economy and being cautious currently has infection counts in the double digits ( we broke 100 new cases again this week) but we've worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get there. The real danger with Covid is more than just the mortality rate, its the rate at which it can spread between people.

and If I had to choose I would definitely prefer to be treated for ANYTHING in Canada over the U.S. our healthcare system is much better and equitable than the U.S.

the stories of waiting in line for months to get things done is a Myth.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:21   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
As you can read, I didn’t say more live in rural areas, I said we have less huge urban cities, our mentality is more rural (for lack of better words). Alberta and many other provinces, even with somehow big cities in them, are small and people live in them with the small mindset (compared to absolutely huge urban cities in the US). My reflection is, we have a different mind set in this regard.
You have probably been in huge US cities (I’ve been in Miami, New York, San Francisco, Denver...) we just don’t have this. With huge cities, the mentality is different, the social component changes and the social fabric works differently.
I think it really depends on what part of Canada you're in. I definitely would not say that Canada has a more rural mentality, in fact I would suggest that on the balance its the opposite. We're a more urban culture on the balance. But then I'm from Southern Ontario and most of southern Ontario is really one large urban area. You're never more than 30 minutes away from a large urban center.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:28   #588

Quote:
First off, the president doesn't keep the data or collect the data. Secondly the mortality rate is not a function of testing. I agree that most of what we read is bogus. Covid is much worse than we are being led to believe.

Show me your numbers with a link where they came from.
Actually based on your calculations methods, mortality rate can easily be a function of testing. If you don't have bandwidth to do alot of testing it can easily skew the results. simple math actually. This is why we use deaths per capita not deaths as a function of testing. It normalizes the data and removes testing bandwidth.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:53   #589

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I think it really depends on what part of Canada you're in. I definitely would not say that Canada has a more rural mentality, in fact I would suggest that on the balance its the opposite. We're a more urban culture on the balance. But then I'm from Southern Ontario and most of southern Ontario is really one large urban area. You're never more than 30 minutes away from a large urban center.

Exactly what I meant. How many of this huge urban conglomerates do we have in Canada? This is the key. Southern Ontario / great Toronto area for sure, Vancouver, Montreal... But then, look at entire provinces where even their capital is a small town... I’m tempted to say this (adjusting my past posts), even when most Canadians seem to live in an urban setting, our urban social dynamics tend to be “small urban, almost rural” mentality (with very few exceptions) whereas in comparison, the US tends to have huge urban settings by larger numbers, way more population and more complex social issues stemming from them. But I could be very wrong and I’m open to be corrected.
Remember the focus of this discussion was not about percentages but the initial discussion was how different canadian mentality is compared to the US. In this regard, I intended to say what works for us is different what works in the US maybe related a bit to our cultural specifications, population, distribution of resources, urban/rural mentality, etc.
I lived and worked in Florida for 8 interrupted years. When I returned to Canada I had a cultural shock (mostly positive for me). We don’t have the deep-rooted social complexities they have, plus their constant emphasis on individuality, social freedoms, etc. A humongous urban conglomerate changes a lot how social dynamics interact and flow. South Florida is like a big jungle where you fight for survival (business, social interactions, social issues, etc).
Hey, but I could be wrong in my appreciation.
Old 13-08-2020, 07:23   #590

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Please, can we get this thread back to Canada?
No, I suspect we have lost this little haven of semi-relevant, semi-politeness. Perhaps if we actually manage to ignore the sh_t disturbers, but I doubt it.
Old 13-08-2020, 07:25   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
No, I suspect we have lost this little haven of semi-relevant, semi-politeness. Perhaps if we actually manage to ignore the sh_t disturbers, but I doubt it.
Well, if we report ever off-topic post maybe they will just leave, eventually.
Old 13-08-2020, 07:30   #592

Quote:
Well, if we report ever off-topic post maybe they will just leave, eventually.
Alas, I suspect off-topic is not a crime. If it was this would be a very very different forum

But back on topic, BC charters were understandably down at the beginning of the season but they slowly crept back up to acceptable levels. Now I am hearing of some pretty big bookings for 2021. So that's good news—people are being positive about the future.
Old 13-08-2020, 08:00   #593

Quote:
You think half the population of the US thinks it's a hoax? That's hilarious!!!!!!Talk about brainwashed.
Talk about reading comprehension fail. I said:

Quote:
I would prefer to avoid the place where approx half the population thinks it's a hoax, or simply DGAF.
Note the or. I think my estimate is pretty much on target. Or maybe, exaggeration for effect (which apparently got lost). Also, it's a cruising forum, not Nature, so sue me.
Old 13-08-2020, 09:09   #594

Quote:
Old 13-08-2020, 09:14   #595
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

So we come to a comment from the mod team that has been ignored for a while.

QUIT with the politics, or: infractions and closure of the thread.

Its about cruising and Canada, covid and news.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:23   #596

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:

O Canada! My boat's fine cruising ground.
Fair sailing winds to all thy ships command.
With blowing sails we set a course
To the true north's friendly seas.
From far and wide
O visitors, please give us time to breathe.
God keep our land, mostly COVID free.
O Southern friends, we'll still be here for you,
O yes we will! In twenty twenty-two.

(or hopefully 21, but that doesn't rhyme).
Old 13-08-2020, 10:36   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
O Canada! My boat's fine cruising ground.
Fair sailing winds to all thy ships command.
With blowing sails we set a course
To the true north's friendly seas.
From far and wide
O visitors, please give us time to breathe.
God keep our land, mostly COVID free.
O Southern friends, we'll still be here for you,
O yes we will! In twenty twenty-two.

(or hopefully 21, but that doesn't rhyme).

LOVED it! So awesome! )
Old 13-08-2020, 15:15   #598

Woot we made the front page of the BBC... Its all about Canada now baby!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53742684

Not much about sailing in there but the bit about floating down rivers was new to me.
Old 13-08-2020, 15:45   #599

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Woot we made the front page of the BBC... Its all about Canada now baby!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53742684

Not much about sailing in there but the bit about floating down rivers was new to me.
All so sad, and so avoidable. But here we are. But it's not just Americans who are facing the wrath of locals. As the BBC piece says:

Quote:
The tensions are so high that British Columbia Premier John Horgan suggested that Canadians with out-of-province licence plates should take the bus or ride bikes instead.
I may come face-to-face with this reality. I'm heading to Vancouver Island soon, and will be driving a motorcycle with Ontario license plates. Will be interesting...
Old 13-08-2020, 15:52   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
All so sad, and so avoidable. But here we are. But it's not just Americans who are facing the wrath of locals. As the BBC piece says:

I may come face-to-face with this reality. I'm heading to Vancouver Island soon, and will be driving a motorcycle with Ontario license plates. Will be interesting...

Mike, I personally know 3 different folks from my town here who took their trucks to BC with no incident so far. It probably happened to some with Alberta plate but it wasn’t widespread.
In July I was already planning and scheduled a trip to BC to a 5 day sailing practice but I was discouraged by the organizers to participate at that moment me being from Alberta.
It is probably a mixed bag and some cases happened, hopefully, didn’t make the rule, safe travels!